• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Work Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi there

I am currently in year 10 and for along time I have always been obsessed with trains. I am currently thinking of my career options and my Dad recommended getting some work experience at Network Rail. How would I apply for some work experience at Network Rail if they do it.

P.S I am more interested in the management side.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I'm unsure about how you should go about this but you may wish to send a letter to the following adress :

Network Rail
Kings Place
90 York Way
London
N1 9AG

But i'm sure that your work experience advisor at School should be able to help you, this is how i managed to get a summer working experience shadowing how the platform staff do their jobs at Worcester Shrub Hill with Central Trains back in 2005.

GB

Established Member
I did my year 10 work experience with what was Railtrack back in about 1999 and from what I can remember as they were not on the pre approved list there was some kind of form I (or they) had to fill out.

I can't remember the exact details of how to go about it but as Sonic2009 said, best ask your adviser.

dave_wm

I did my work experience in 2009 with Network Rail at their Train Planning Offices in Birmingham - unfortunately these are now closed - but I was accepted after ringing the number on the front of one of their documents on the internet (think it may have been the Rules of the Plan, now known as Timetable Planning Rules).

I ended up getting a whole load of experience in Birmingham - they showed me all around train planning, I entered the details of an entire day's platform allocations at Marylebone, they let me loose (with supervision) on New Street Signal Box and announcing at New Street station, and I had a cab ride on Cross Country to Bristol and back. I gather I was rather lucky though.

Thanks! I shall try sending a letter then and see what the reply is!:D It sounded really good for you dave. Any reason why the train planning offices closed down?

the sniper

Established Member
I gather I was rather lucky though.

I got lucky too. I did a two week placement with Central Trains nearly a decade ago. During that I got to have a go at timetable planning, a cab ride to Crewe in a Cl.170 and an afternoon on the driver simulator which was up stairs in New Street, amongst other things. I've still got a certificate that they knocked up to pass me as competent on the simulator! :lol:

I had a great time, and I have to say that it has helped me subsequently too.

dave_wm

Yeah, the office I worked in, which I think was Midlands Train Planning, moved down to Milton Keynes.

I had a great time too - it was really interesting seeing how the different parts of the railway operated! :)

Though be prepared to be disappointed - Network Rail was the last railway place I tried; I'd been rejected by London Midland (hadn't set up a work experience scheme at the time) and Virgin Trains (family members of existing employees only).

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.