• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Railcard discount - Easements on time restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Does anyone know if the exceptions to the post-10am rule for Network Railcard discounts detailed here still apply?

I want to take the 0830 from Exeter Central to Clapham Junction every Tuesday for the foreseeable future, returning on the 1527 two days later on the Thursday. The 0830 from Exeter Central is on that list, yet neither National Rail or SWT websites show a discount when adding a Network Railcard (price is £64.40 for an Off-Peak Return). The first train to discount is the 1030, suggesting the usual post-1000 rule.

That list is linked from National Rail's website ... have they forgotten to update it or something?

Any help gratefully received

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I don't think that easement is implemented by booking engines. You'll need to purchase the tickets at a booking office.

embers25

Established Member
This train is valid with Network Cards and SWT are very aware that their booking engine won't allow it. During repeated email/phone conversations they have continually refused to do anything about it and continue to overcharge their online customers. They say you could buy at the station if you want it but whenever you find a fare not being offered on their machines they say buy online as all tickets are available online. So you're screwed both ways and they have NO incentive to fix it as both issues just make them more profits.

radamfi

Established Member
Can't you just get the ticket for a later train from the website? There is no obligation to use the booked train. There are no reservations on that line.

embers25

Established Member
Also be warned there are still some guards on this line that believe Off peak Period Returns are only valid after 0930 to Clapham despite the restriction allowing travel on or after the 0641 from St Davids (without a Network Card).

wibble

This train is valid with Network Cards and SWT are very aware that their booking engine won't allow it. During repeated email/phone conversations they have continually refused to do anything about it and continue to overcharge their online customers. They say you could buy at the station if you want it but whenever you find a fare not being offered on their machines they say buy online as all tickets are available online. So you're screwed both ways and they have NO incentive to fix it as both issues just make them more profits.

Clearly, you dislike SWT.

You'll find that even the ATOS booking engine will not show a Network Railcard discount on the 0830 from Exeter Central.

The reason the Network Railcard discount will not show before 1000 is due to a limitation in the fares system. The Network Railcard is can be shown to work in journey planners before 1000 by easing a particular train. However, the easement has to apply to the whole train or the train is not eased at all. As the 0826 train has Network Railcard easements as far as Feniton, there is little that can be done to make it report correctly in journey planners. The alternative is for SWT to remove the easement on this train.

embers25

Established Member
Clearly, you dislike SWT.

You'll find that even the ATOS booking engine will not show a Network Railcard discount on the 0830 from Exeter Central.

The reason the Network Railcard discount will not show before 1000 is due to a limitation in the fares system. The Network Railcard is can be shown to work in journey planners before 1000 by easing a particular train. However, the easement has to apply to the whole train or the train is not eased at all. As the 0826 train has Network Railcard easements as far as Feniton, there is little that can be done to make it report correctly in journey planners. The alternative is for SWT to remove the easement on this train.

It's not a case of disliking SWT, it's a case that this problem is not as difficult to fix as is being made out but SWT and all other TOC's have no incentive to sort it so won't. The fix shouldn't involve removing the easement but would because that's the easiest option.

SWT still fail to offer all destinations from their ticket machines despite other TOC's with the same machines offering them. They keep promising to fix it and never do as again they'd rather overcharge. They say use the internet but the internet doesn't offer all tickets either. So you can't buy online and can't buy from station ticket machines, the ticket office if it exists still is closed earlier now so the only solution they offer to avoid a penalty fare is to buy the wrong ticket to the wrong station and get it changed on the train which is both ridiculous and very hard to do.

island

Veteran Member
Can't you just get the ticket for a later train from the website? There is no obligation to use the booked train. There are no reservations on that line.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Thanks for the replies. That's good news for me.

I've got a couple of further questions:

- Does the same easement apply for an Annual Gold Card discount?

- I know that Network Railcard discounts don't apply to Advance tickets: what about an Annual Gold Card ?

cheers

wibble

Thanks for the replies. That's good news for me.

I've got a couple of further questions:

- Does the same easement apply for an Annual Gold Card discount?

Yes - the Annual Goldcard doesn't have the minimum fare Monday-Friday

- I know that Network Railcard discounts don't apply to Advance tickets: what about an Annual Gold Card ?

No - Goldcard discounts are not available on an Advance fare.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's not a case of disliking SWT, it's a case that this problem is not as difficult to fix as is being made out but SWT and all other TOC's have no incentive to sort it so won't. The fix shouldn't involve removing the easement but would because that's the easiest option..

As it's an easement, SWT could withdraw it at any fares round. After all, the Railcard is only supposed to offer a discount on journeys starting at 1000 or later.

SWT still fail to offer all destinations from their ticket machines despite other TOC's with the same machines offering them. They keep promising to fix it and never do as again they'd rather overcharge. They say use the internet but the internet doesn't offer all tickets either. So you can't buy online and can't buy from station ticket machines, the ticket office if it exists still is closed earlier now so the only solution they offer to avoid a penalty fare is to buy the wrong ticket to the wrong station and get it changed on the train which is both ridiculous and very hard to do.

Have you got an example of a journey that isn't in the TVM or online? I'm quite happy to raise it with my contact within SWT.

Roylang

Have you got an example of a journey that isn't in the TVM or online? I'm quite happy to raise it with my contact within SWT.

Probably not one that was being highlighted, but I find it frustrating that you cannot buy either tickets to Zone 6 boundary or London (CIV) online or from the TVMs.

Whilst the latter I can understand a bit (e.g. you have to have a Eurostar ticket), the lack of tickets to Zone 6 boundary I can find no rationale for.

Roy

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Boundary Zone tickets are only supposed to be sold if a Travelcard is already held. Goes down similar logic to the sale of CIV tickets I suppose.

Roylang

Boundary Zone tickets are only supposed to be sold if a Travelcard is already held. Goes down similar logic to the sale of CIV tickets I suppose.

But the TVM does not know whether you have or not and is, therefore, no use at all when it is all that is available. As said, they are available from some machines, why not all?

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.