• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Railcard Exeter to Charing (Kent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacs

Hi everyone, :)

I am a regular rail user but new to this form and I am after some help/advice.

On Sunday 17th June I want to travel from Exeter back home to Charing in Kent. I have a Network Railcard and, acording to their map, both stations are within the Network railcard area.

However, when I try and book a ticket, no railcard doscount is coming up!! Any advise? Do I need to travel via another station? Am very confused :-?

Ideally I would like to leave Exeter about 10am but can be flexiable.

Thanks.

Jacs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi everyone, :)

I am a regular rail user but new to this form and I am after some help/advice.

On Sunday 17th June I want to travel from Exeter back home to Charing in Kent. I have a Network Railcard and, acording to their map, both stations are within the Network railcard area.

However, when I try and book a ticket, no railcard doscount is coming up!! Any advise? Do I need to travel via another station? Am very confused :-?

Ideally I would like to leave Exeter about 10am but can be flexiable.

Thanks.

Jacs

Welcome to the forum.

Exeter is only within the Network area when travelling via Yeovil and Salisbury (ie the slow route). If you specify that route then you should get discounted tickets.

Jacs

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice but it's still not working.

Just been to the South East Trains web site and put Exeter to Charing via Salisbury in and yet its giving me the Exeter to Clapham J, Clapham J to Vic and the Vic to Charing, but still no network Railcard discount!!!

What am I doing wrong?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Which booking site are you using?

I've had a look on the East Coast website, and for the journey required it shows some tickets with a Network Railcard (those via Salisbury) and some without.

RJ

Established Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice but it's still not working.

Just been to the South East Trains web site and put Exeter to Charing via Salisbury in and yet its giving me the Exeter to Clapham J, Clapham J to Vic and the Vic to Charing, but still no network Railcard discount!!!

What am I doing wrong?

It's showing for me using the 17th June 2012 from 10:00 on the Southeastern website, gives the discounted single price of £55.60.

Jacs

Ok, thanks.

Will try again. I don't usually buy tickets on-line so am obviously not very good at it!

I normally just ride my motor bike to Ashford and get the HS train to work in London.

They certainly don't make these things simple do they ....

RJ

Established Member
Ok, thanks.

Will try again. I don't usually buy tickets on-line so am obviously not very good at it!

I normally just ride my motor bike to Ashford and get the HS train to work in London.

They certainly don't make these things simple do they ....

Did you tick "Railcards" on the mixing deck and select "Network Railcard" prior to clicking "Search?" If it's a single, then £55.60 is the price you are looking for :)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is this just a single journey?

If so and you can commit to travelling on a specific train then you will find it cheaper to buy an Advance ticket for the journey. These are only available on the route into Paddington; there is a £43 fare for the 1143 departure from Exeter at the moment. These tickets are valid on the booked train only, non-refundable and subject to availability so will sell out as time goes on. The Network Railcard is not applicable to this route.

If you don't want to commit to a specific train, then there is no need to buy ahead of travel. The cheapest flexible ticket is an Anytime Day Single, Route: Honiton, which is £55.60 with Network Railcard discount. For only a little more there is an Off Peak Return (note not the Day return which is also available), priced £57.70. This is valid for return within one month - you're also free to break your journey on the return so could use it just as a single to Victoria, Clapham Junction etc if needed any time in that period, if that would be of use to you. These tickets can be bought at Exeter immediately before travel.

Jacs

Is this just a single journey?

If so and you can commit to travelling on a specific train then you will find it cheaper to buy an Advance ticket for the journey. These are only available on the route into Paddington; there is a £43 fare for the 1143 departure from Exeter at the moment. These tickets are valid on the booked train only, non-refundable and subject to availability so will sell out as time goes on. The Network Railcard is not applicable to this route.

If you don't want to commit to a specific train, then there is no need to buy ahead of travel. The cheapest flexible ticket is an Anytime Day Single, Route: Honiton, which is £55.60 with Network Railcard discount. For only a little more there is an Off Peak Return (note not the Day return which is also available), priced £57.70. This is valid for return within one month - you're also free to break your journey on the return so could use it just as a single to Victoria, Clapham Junction etc if needed any time in that period, if that would be of use to you. These tickets can be bought at Exeter immediately before travel.

Thanks, I have just book myself on the 11.43 from Exeter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.