• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Railcard (partner card) has no name on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunderhead

Hi, my partner who is a Gold Card holder recently went to purchase a £1 partner card from our local station, presenting the serving member of staff with an application form with my mother's details on it as the card was intended for her. However, the member of staff paid no attention to the form and simply issued a card with no name printed in the 'issued to' field. The card does have the number of my partner's Gold Card written in ink on the back. We are now contemplating the implications of this. Provided that the back of the card is signed as is required by the terms and conditions, is it possible that my mother and my father might both be able to use the card? Should I take the absence of a printed name, along with the absence of the requirement for an accompanying photocard, to be an indication that nobody is too concerned as to whether this card is shared? Are guards/ticket inspectors/revenue protection officers likely to notice or be bothered by the lack of a printed name? Many thanks for any insight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I managed to get two Partner cards just before my Gold Card expired. Both are for one year, even though I only had about a week left on my season!

The first one required me to fill out an application form for a Network Railcard (at a FCC station) but nothing was written on the card itself.

The second just had the man issue a ticket straight away (at a, then, NXEA station), without asking for anything (other than £1) and also handed it over with nothing written on it. I was told that I didn't need to fill in an application form, and I certainly hadn't done so before - so presumably another case of poorly trained (agency?) staff employed by First.

Dunderhead

So could I perhaps infer from this that there are plenty of "nameless" Network Railcards floating around and that these are likely to be accepted without question?

jon0844

Veteran Member
As I regularly got replacement Gold Cards (due to the magstrip failing/becoming corrupted) I often forgot to add my name to the front. Never had a problem, partly because nobody ever checked it close-up.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I managed to get two Partner cards just before my Gold Card expired. Both are for one year, even though I only had about a week left on my season!

The first one required me to fill out an application form for a Network Railcard (at a FCC station) but nothing was written on the card itself.

The second just had the man issue a ticket straight away (at a, then, NXEA station), without asking for anything (other than £1) and also handed it over with nothing written on it. I was told that I didn't need to fill in an application form, and I certainly hadn't done so before - so presumably another case of poorly trained (agency?) staff employed by First.

I had the opposite happen some years ago - I renewed my season ticket several days in advance and got a partner card - but that was dated the day I got it resulting in several days at the end of the ticket where my wife could not get discounted travel (And annoyingly we seemed to be meeting up in London on most of those days).

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's one year from when they issue it, even though I'd been told that it would be set to expire the same day as the season ticket (never happened once).

Here's a tip for the future, just get another one before the ticket expires - as it will be one year from then.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's one year from when they issue it, even though I'd been told that it would be set to expire the same day as the season ticket (never happened once).

Here's a tip for the future, just get another one before the ticket expires - as it will be one year from then.

Sadly I no longer get gold cards or partner discount cards, but then I no longer live in Hertfordshire.

Dunderhead

As I regularly got replacement Gold Cards (due to the magstrip failing/becoming corrupted) I often forgot to add my name to the front. Never had a problem, partly because nobody ever checked it close-up.

Are you saying that the name field on the front is always printed blank by the machine and is meant to be filled in by hand?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Are you saying that the name field on the front is always printed blank by the machine and is meant to be filled in by hand?

Yes, it just says;

Issued only for use by M...........................

and you have to fill in that bit yourself. Never yet had a member of staff do this for me. I'll try and do it ASAP but often forget (on account of not having a pen with me) for a while.

boing_uk

I used to get annual gold cards issued to me for our season ticket scheme by my company because their head office is in London.

It used to confuse the hell out of gateline staff in Lancashire who have rarely seen one before. Number of times I had it taken out of the wallet and scrutinised...

Dunderhead

Yes, it just says;

Issued only for use by M...........................

and you have to fill in that bit yourself. Never yet had a member of staff do this for me. I'll try and do it ASAP but often forget (on account of not having a pen with me) for a while.

Mine doesn't even have the "M......................", it's completely blank.

I'm tempted to tell my parents that they should share the card, and to either write some gender-ambiguous initials + surname on the front, or to just carry a pen with them and write their name in on the spot if they are ever questioned!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I used to get annual gold cards issued to me for our season ticket scheme by my company because their head office is in London.

It used to confuse the hell out of gateline staff in Lancashire who have rarely seen one before. Number of times I had it taken out of the wallet and scrutinised...

Are they valid if neither station is in the former NSE area?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/season_tickets/goldcard.html

says:

National Rail said:
Annual Season tickets can be issued as Gold Cards when:

the origin station is within the area, or
the issuing station and either the origin station, destination station or both are within the area.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Mine doesn't even have the "M......................", it's completely blank.

Sorry, I meant the Gold Card has that on the front.

The Network Railcard PNR (Partner) card has

Issued to

which is then totally blank underneath, although I've written my name on it.

boing_uk

Well they were issued by SWT on Gold Card stock for travel wholly within Lancashire. Whether they are "valid" or not didn't really concern me as after the first 12 months they worked fine in the barriers at BPN.

I was the only one out of three in my office to get the annual ST like that though. The others were printed on standard blue stock.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well they were issued by SWT on Gold Card stock for travel wholly within Lancashire. Whether they are "valid" or not didn't really concern me as after the first 12 months they worked fine in the barriers at BPN.

I was the only one out of three in my office to get the annual ST like that though. The others were printed on standard blue stock.

Wonder if you could have got your South Eastern discounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.