• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail's "The Quadrant" Milton Keynes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Not that long ago (2009-2010) I took record snaps of the Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes as it was being demolished to make way for "The Quadrant" - Network Rail's shiny new headquarters. Now that the track seems to be being moved to the TOCs, I guess it won't be long before parts of "The Quadrant" are short of people; or are the TOCs going to contract out their new responsibilities to Network Rail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I doubt the people who have made the proposals have even thought about the real-world implications, to be honest!

The Planner

Veteran Member
You are jumping the gun a bit aren't you? Quadrant will be around for a good while yet.

lincolnshire

Another White Elephant ?

An Ian Coucher dream of a grandiose headquarters before he dissaperaed very quickly befor his time was up?

Did something make them want to move to Milton Keynes ?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Another White Elephant ?

An Ian Coucher dream of a grandiose headquarters before he dissaperaed very quickly befor his time was up?

Did something make them want to move to Milton Keynes ?

Yes:

• the council are very happy to help business ( especially large employers) move to the area,
  • land prices are quite cheap,
  • land is available for large a large office complex
  • civic amenities are good and can support an influx of jobs
  • it is as close to London as you can get without actually being in London
  • There are good communication links
  • The move saves millions in rent and other costs

PS it isnt a headquarters, that remains in London, but it is a "national centre" complex allowing for the London HQ to be slimmed down. That along with the reduction in London offices has probably already paid for the building.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes:

• the council are very happy to help business ( especially large employers) move to the area,

PS it isnt a headquarters, that remains in London, but it is a "national centre" complex allowing for the London HQ to be slimmed down. That along with the reduction in London offices has probably already paid for the building.

That was rather "on message", no mention of the carnage it generally caused!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes:

The other thing is, the site it occupied was the former National Hockey Stadium, which was itself a white elephant once the major tenant, MK Dons, moved out in 2007.

The Quadrant is a quality building and I'm sure it will be let out - if NR can't fill the space.

lincolnshire

The people around the country who was told if you want a job you will have to move to Milton Keynes when there place of work was closed down and there work moved to Milton Keynes or else find another job.

So how much did re-location of staff alone cost? and also the disruption to people and family life been forced to move or find another job.

All for a white elephant.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

no one asked................

The people around the country who was told if you want a job you will have to move to Milton Keynes when there place of work was closed down and there work moved to Milton Keynes or else find another job.

So how much did re-location of staff alone cost? and also the disruption to people and family life been forced to move or find another job.

All for a white elephant.

I know you have some kind of chip on your shoulder about these things but business moves all the time. The support package on offer for those who chose to move was better than many offered in the private sector. Those who didn't want to move did quite well of out the severance packages.

Why do you keep referring to it as a white elephant? The move will have already paid for itself in financial terms.

lincolnshire

no one asked................

I know you have some kind of chip on your shoulder about these things but business moves all the time. The support package on offer for those who chose to move was better than many offered in the private sector. Those who didn't want to move did quite well of out the severance packages.

Why do you keep referring to it as a white elephant? The move will have already paid for itself in financial terms.

Are you Network Rails voice then as you seem to back them up all the time.

My advice to you is watch your back as your job might be next .

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Are you Network Rails voice then as you seem to back them up all the time.

My advice to you is watch your back as your job might be next .

It might well be and that would be terrible. But living in Milton Keynes I have access to a much wider job market and at a higher wage than I would ever have had in Darlington.

And I am not a voice for anyone. I just have some perspective, don't see a conspiracy everywhere and live in the real world.

I thought the quadrant was mainly timetabling?

There are all kinds of departments in MK now. Many have been here since before day 1!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can we move on from the squabbling please? Jesus this is boring.

Mordac

Established Member
I wouldn't want to park my bicycle there, that's for sure..

:lol:

My fiancee recently went for a job interview there as a graphic designer/motion graphics artist. She didn't get it, but it was really handy to commute to from Northampton, being right outside MKC and all!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
the Quadrant surface car park is used by boy racers some nights, Sunday I think

It always was as the Hockey Stadium too - it's called the "MK Cruise". Been about for a while. It's just an Americanised show-your-car-off thing, it causes relatively little antisocial behaviour, particularly as distinct from most other gatherings of young adults, alcohol pretty much by definition is not involved. And the Police are always there in force, being fairly bored of a Sunday evening.

TBSchenker

It might be if all the timetablers had actually chosen to move there rather than quitting when relocated from regional offices...

I was a timetabler very happy in Manchester. Then they moved my job to Leeds or Birmingham. I didn't go, neither did a few of my former colleagues. Those that did move were then rewarded a few years later with a move to MK or redundancy.

The planning team at NR was sadly lacking geographical expertise in the very timetables they were supposed to be planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.