• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail's verbal reasoning test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistley

I've just done Network Rail's verbal reasoning test for one of their positions. Given they've invited me to do the SHL testing, I assume I've passed the first stage?

And is it normal to feel you've done badly after the test? I've done 29/30 questions, but in hindsight I shouldn't have rushed through the last question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ArchangelA

I've just done Network Rail's verbal reasoning test for one of their positions. Given they've invited me to do the SHL testing, I assume I've passed the first stage?

And is it normal to feel you've done badly after the test? I've done 29/30 questions, but in hindsight I shouldn't have rushed through the last question.
I completed the tests yesterday morning. Don;t think I did too badly on the SJT. Didn't finish the verbal reasoning ones as I really had to read and reread them, and the maths was horrendous and didn't quite finish that (making wild guesses at some). I'd be highly surprised if I passed at all. ;-(

Bucephalus

I made a right hash of the tests and still reached the 'benchmark'. However, the paper sift, not so lucky

Bucephalus

Does that mean that you then went to interview?
No, unfortunately not. I was kept in reserve in the knowledge that I would get an interview should a position come up. But in the end, after about 8 months, my application was not progressed with.

ArchangelA

No, unfortunately not. I was kept in reserve in the knowledge that I would get an interview should a position come up. But in the end, after about 8 months, my application was not progressed with.
Sorry to hear that mate. You still having a go at applying?

Woody27

Hi guys, I am in the process of applying for a signaller position, the tests I had to do were, Complete Insrument, verbal reasoning and inductive reasoning, proper messed up the CI test, somehow managed to mix up, least agree, and most agree!!! Not a great start

Rockhopper

Whats the CI test? Google isn't bringing anything up! I did a maths test, verbal reasoning and inductive reasoning.

Woody27

Whats the CI test? Google isn't bringing anything up! I did a maths test, verbal reasoning and inductive reasoning.
It’s the complete instrument test, not really sure why it’s called that though, it was just a bunch of questions on how you would react given a certain question or scenario, like I said, I think I messed it up!

TB01

Apologies if this has been in another forum before - but what online psychometric assessment companies (for practising verbal / numeracy questions) most closely resemble the actual NR SHL assessments? There are stories online of people who paid for some SHL style practice tests, only to find the real assessment is completely different, in terms of difficulty and format. Examples I've found online include, among others, JobTestPrep and Graduate Monkey. Many thanks,

Apologies if this has been in another forum before - but what online psychometric assessment companies (for practising verbal / numeracy questions) most closely resemble the actual NR SHL assessments? There are stories online of people who paid for some SHL style practice tests, only to find the real assessment is completely different, in terms of difficulty and format. Examples I've found online include, among others, JobTestPrep and Graduate Monkey. Many thanks,

If you take a look at the Career as a Signaller thread I'm pretty sure this has been covered. Use the search facility to save time

Kraken

I did the SHL practise tests for all three and found them all significantly harder than the real Network Rail tests. The one's I did are here and are free. To be honest I would recommend having a stab at them and see what you think - 'train hard, fight easy' and all that. The format was pretty similar between the SHL practise and the real thing, just the level of complexity on the real one was dialled down quite a lot.

There are some practise questions when you actually log on to do the test for real but I wouldn't recommend relying on those.

TB01

I did the SHL practise tests for all three and found them all significantly harder than the real Network Rail tests. The one's I did are here and are free. To be honest I would recommend having a stab at them and see what you think - 'train hard, fight easy' and all that. The format was pretty similar between the SHL practise and the real thing, just the level of complexity on the real one was dialled down quite a lot.

There are some practise questions when you actually log on to do the test for real but I wouldn't recommend relying on those.
Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.