• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Networker Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Do Class 465s run to a special gauge? I ask because I keep seeing signs saying "Networker", then a big red cross under. I've seen it at Linford Street Junction, the approach to Clapham Junction and this morning, the lines into the terminus of London Bridge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
I guess they have just never been passed for the routes. There is a sign like the above on the approach to some of the Southern platforms at London Victoria too.

LucaZone

Are the built from the same body as the Networker Turbo? if so then its like to to be a guage issue yes. The Turbos are slightly wider, and thus could run into clearence issues with platforms and bridges on other routes.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Are the built from the same body as the Networker Turbo? if so then its like to to be a guage issue yes. The Turbos are slightly wider, and thus could run into clearence issues with platforms and bridges on other routes.

Platform 5 book suggests:
Class 165: 2.81m
Class 166: 2.81m
Class 365: 2.81m
Class 465: 2.81m
Class 466: 2.81m

So yes they have the same width body of the Turbo version. Albeit 20.89m/20.06m length instead of 23.50m/23.25m of the Turbo version.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The standard width of passenger rolling stock in the UK is 2.82m though, infact that is the maximum width allowed with UK loading gauge. The length is a little longer than is normal though, with the standard length being 20.18m, and vehicles much longer than that are usually narrower. The longest 'normal' vehicles with full width bodies I know of are the 313 family motor coaches at 20.33m. The 20.89m width of the Networker Driving Motor coaches could be the issue, since the ends could strike lineside structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.