• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NEW 06/03/2020 Thameslink / Great Northern Trainee driver advert for LDN Hornsey & Brighton depots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TTDARL

Thameslink / Great Northern just advertised and looking for trainee drivers at Cricklewood and Brighton depots.

Jaytrains

Im still at work and can’t really apply i did start the application so i hope it still allows me to finish it later today even if they’ve closed the vacancy, but for those that have applied is there an option that allows u to apply for both depots? And is GTR Enhanced or national ??
Thanks

Im still at work and can’t really apply i did start the application so i hope it still allows me to finish it later today even if they’ve closed the vacancy, but for those that have applied is there an option that allows u to apply for both depots? And is GTR Enhanced or national ??
Thanks

I've just had another look and actually it doesn't let you specify a location - you just hit the 'Apply Now' button and that's it. The whole process takes about 20 mins as there is only one question that requires any thought, which is about why you want to apply for the job. Other than that you need to upload your CV and answer a few questions around age, gender and so on. Very straightforward.

Not sure about the passes, but I have a feeling they may be enhanced.

Ladder23

Established Member
That awkward what motivates you question, could be answered in a million ways but what exactly are they asking for

TTDARL

Thanks for posting this - so much for email alerts!

Application submitted for Brighton

No worries.
Seems to be the case recently with various TOCS where those registered for job alerts haven’t been alerted and have missed out!
At least you’ve got the application in! We all know these trainee adverts tend to close earlier than advertised due to the sheer amounts of applicants!

Komma

Not sure about shunter role.Paper tests are done at GTR offices or at a rented office space for the day. Computer tests are done at the OPC at Watford.

Firestarter

Cricklewood taken off and replaced with hornsey. Just checked my online portal and also replaced from Cricklewood to Hornsey

DM92

I applied for thameslink brighton depot and passed all stages and MMI In march 2016. They said were waiting for course dates for me. 4 years later they are advertising again and I havent been contacted. So disapointing.

Ladder23

Established Member
I applied for thameslink brighton depot and passed all stages and MMI In march 2016. They said were waiting for course dates for me. 4 years later they are advertising again and I havent been contacted. So disapointing.
No way??! Wow..

Ladder23

Established Member
So was cricklewood a error or am I to late? Hornsey is out of reach for me

Joliver

I'd be giving them a ring If were you mate.

Fancythis

Hi, I’m looking at the GTR website and the recruitment process suggests that the next stage will be to complete some online assessments. Can anybody give me a heads up on what tests to expect should my application be up to scratch please?

Fancythis

Also, does anybody know how easy it’s is to internally transfer depots should you be so lucky as to get the job?

whoosh

Established Member
Also, does anybody know how easy it’s is to internally transfer depots should you be so lucky as to get the job?

Your name can be put on the lateral transfer list after you've been productive (passed out) for two years. Some locations are a lot more popular than others - Peterborough has 20 - 25 drivers on the list to be moved there, Bedford has over 50!

Jonboy79

Hi, I’m looking at the GTR website and the recruitment process suggests that the next stage will be to complete some online assessments. Can anybody give me a heads up on what tests to expect should my application be up to scratch please?

I presume it will be the SJT tests????

Galvanize

Those going to Hornsey, it’ll undoubtedly be the 717/Inner Link.

Traction as the title suggests, 717 only.

Most if not all diagrammed work focuses on:
London Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City
Alexandra Palace to Stevenage via Hertford North.

In addition sign for diversionary purposes...
London Kings Cross to Finsbury Park
Highbury Vale Spur
Welwyn Garden City to Stevenage via Knebworth
Stevenage to Baldock

Depots and sidings:
Hornsey Depot
Welwyn Garden City Carriage Sidings
Hertford North sidings
Letchworth Arrival/Departure Line
Letchworth Carriage sidings.

Earliest start currently 03:57.
Last late shift books off at 01:34, and there are a few night shifts too.

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
Also expect to be in training for a very very long time. There are no Driving Instructors at Hornsey, and only a handful at Welwyn and Hitchin (the other depots that do the same routes as Hornsey).

The diagrams are probably the most intense, which is why you see that nobody actually wants to transfer internally to Hornsey.

But as a step to getting your key, go for it.

choochoochoo

Established Member

Highbury Vale Spur
Stevenage to Baldock

Depots and sidings:
Hornsey Depot
Hertford North sidings

Don't forget Hitchin Up Yard :)

Jonboy79

Highbury Vale Spur
Stevenage to Baldock

Depots and sidings:
Hornsey Depot
Hertford North sidings

What are the shift patterns and day off rotas???

387star

On Moderation
The 12-15 months mentioned to train in the advert made me laugh!

Many trainees were training for two years and more ! One trainee I used to see told me every time I saw him that he was still waiting for a DI. In fact all we could do was laugh in the end

Gooner18

The 12-15 months mentioned to train in the advert made me laugh!

Many trainees were training for two years and more ! One trainee I used to see told me every time I saw him that he was still waiting for a DI. In fact all we could do was laugh in the end
Out of interest what happens while you’re waiting for a DI do you turn up only to be sent home ?

Status
Not open for further replies.