• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NEW 06/03/2020 Thameslink / Great Northern Trainee driver advert for LDN Hornsey & Brighton depots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nevergiveup

Off topic but is there any point in applying for trainee role after failing one of the psychometric tests? Or Should I just wait till 6 months have gone by?

Headhunco

I bet the drivers love that lol
Yeah lol they do enjoy company from trainees but it’s frustrating for trainees I’ve been through it having no driving instructor and front ending for weeks on weeks gets frustrating I’m pretty sure it happens at every TOC

westcoaster

Established Member
I bet the drivers love that lol
We do, well I do had numerous front enders for months at a time, over the years.
It's all a learning process. Once you have finished in the class room you will front end ( start learning the route, ask questions and get a head start) until your DI is ready.

na281093

New closing date of 3rd April. I haven’t got a reply no, I can’t imagine that being up until the 3rd April though. I’ve rarely ever seen vacancies for trainee drivers up for more than a week if that.

Jonboy79

New closing date of 3rd April. I haven’t got a reply no, I can’t imagine that being up until the 3rd April though. I’ve rarely ever seen vacancies for trainee drivers up for more than a week if that.

Seems like it's been taken off GTR's website. Only way to apply is if you have the link.

EJohns96

Hello,

Does anyone know how long they usually take to respond to applications. I know they usually get quite a few, but average time on response?

thanks!

GeniusB

Hello,

Does anyone know how long they usually take to respond to applications. I know they usually get quite a few, but average time on response?

thanks!
Think it may be a while, as when you click on the link the advert is still up until April..

Think it may be a while, as when you click on the link the advert is still up until April..

Not as long as you may think.. I've just got the thanks but no thanks email!

I'm intrigued as to how they sifted the applications based only on CVs (no bitterness here, just curiosity)

EJohns96

I'm intrigued as to how they sifted the applications based only on CVs (no bitterness here, just curiosity)
Hmm, interesting.

I will look out for an email then and check my spam. Yeah, I wonder how they decided based solely on CV?

thanks,
E

GeniusB

I got the same email mate........but as I mentioned the advert was/is still live.

EJohns96

Have you got any applications in for any other companies in group? Southeastern or Southern for example?
I haven't had any emails yet, I even checked my portal and nothing new on there either...

I applied for a customer ambassador job as well but still haven't heard back from that one either

Blackkat

Lol I’m in your boat. (The no boat) I think they done it Of location distance maybe? I was 48mins away

na281093

I’m hours away from Brighton, assume they know I will happily relocate instantly should I need to & I haven’t had a rejection email yet so I’ll take that as good news I guess.

I’m hours away from Brighton, assume they know I will happily relocate instantly should I need to & I haven’t had a rejection email yet so I’ll take that as good news I guess.

I'm not sure if they do allow relocation.. the question asked whether you lived within 45 to 60 minutes of the location. Still good luck to you

na281093

I'm not sure if they do allow relocation.. the question asked whether you lived within 45 to 60 minutes of the location. Still good luck to you

I never understand that with the relocation thing and some companies not taking on applicants who live further than 1 hour away. You’d assume people wouldn’t apply should they not be able to relocate INSTANTLY and TOCs would allow it in all cases. Usually you’ll know your start training date in advance anyway leaving plenty of time to sort out your new accommodation. Then again I guess if they find a good enough candidate who already lives close its not needed but you’d think they would give themselves the best possible chance of finding a candidate from anywhere who will be one hour away from the depot before starting.

Blackkat

I never understand that with the relocation thing and some companies not taking on applicants who live further than 1 hour away. You’d assume people wouldn’t apply should they not be able to relocate INSTANTLY and TOCs would allow it in all cases. Usually you’ll know your start training date in advance anyway leaving plenty of time to sort out your new accommodation. Then again I guess if they find a good enough candidate who already lives close its not needed but you’d think they would give themselves the best possible chance of finding a candidate from anywhere who will be one hour away from the depot before starting.
I’m guessing it’s all about finding ways to illuminate and filter... what annoys me is I’ve passed all the assessments and only require a DMI yet they already reject me with out even checking or asking

mresh91

I’m guessing it’s all about finding ways to illuminate and filter... what annoys me is I’ve passed all the assessments and only require a DMI yet they already reject me with out even checking or asking

I keep hearing this same argument, and just want to clear something up. While I do agree with you to a certain extent, for companies like GTR and SWR who conduct the driver assessments in-house, it isn’t an issue for them to book assessment centres and start seeking applicants from scratch. Passing the psychometric tests isn’t some huge achievement which will automatically put you in good stead for any application, rather your core technical skills and experience on your resume in your initial applications holds more value to a TOC than holding the assessment centre passes.

Believe me, I would know... I’ve held passes until they’ve expired and only recently managed to retake the assessments to get them current, and all that time I’ve passed my tests, it didn’t benefit me in any way, and why should it? That’s just how railway recruitment is, psychometric passes aren’t even a thing for the TOCs, they can conduct them in large batches without an issue. It isn’t necessarily a free ticket towards the interview, or shouldn’t be interpreted as such.

Sorry if I come across as being harsh, but just talking based on experience as I keep hearing this argument.

baz962

Established Member
What
I keep hearing this same argument, and just want to clear something up. While I do agree with you to a certain extent, for companies like GTR and SWR who conduct the driver assessments in-house, it isn’t an issue for them to book assessment centres and start seeking applicants from scratch. Passing the psychometric tests isn’t some huge achievement which will automatically put you in good stead for any application, rather your core technical skills and experience on your resume in your initial applications holds more value to a TOC than holding the assessment centre passes.

Believe me, I would know... I’ve held passes until they’ve expired and only recently managed to retake the assessments to get them current, and all that time I’ve passed my tests, it didn’t benefit me in any way, and why should it? That’s just how railway recruitment is, psychometric passes aren’t even a thing for the TOCs, they can conduct them in large batches without an issue. It isn’t necessarily a free ticket towards the interview, or shouldn’t be interpreted as such.

Sorry if I come across as being harsh, but just talking based on experience as I keep hearing this argument.
What do you mean by in house , I did mine through gtr and it was done by the opc. Also I believe you do sometimes get prioritised if you have the psychometrics , as gtr didn't give me the job at interview , but I then got three interview offers quite quickly after that. Someone I know passed the psychometric tests in January and February , was waiting for a dmi with the company and then applied elsewhere and got two interview offers on the same day for a week later . He got offered the first job a day later , less than a month after applying.

You've not cleared anything up, just expressed an opinion. I've known a couple of people who have gone straight to interview after applying with a different company and one is now doing his driver training. It's not a given that this should happen of course but this particular vacancy had no initial tests, just a CV upload so it's very hard to understand on what basis they are rejecting people.

Also I think its GWR you mean and not GTR

Fancythis

This is my first application so maybe I’m missing something, but aren’t the vast majority of interviews for jobs awarded from just a CV? Also there was a question on the application form which I personally put a lot of thought into answering. Waiting to see if it was good enough.

387star

On Moderation
I got an interview with GTR off a phone call
Wasn't even screened at that point
I'd passed the assessments already

This is my first application so maybe I’m missing something, but aren’t the vast majority of interviews for jobs awarded from just a CV? Also there was a question on the application form which I personally put a lot of thought into answering. Waiting to see if it was good enough.

Because of the number of applications its usually the case that there are a series of screening questions for trainee driver jobs, and the results are used to reduce the number of applications. It's the same these days with most jobs that are popular; after all few organisations have the capability to read 100s or even 1000s of CVs!

Good luck with your application

Status
Not open for further replies.