• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NEW 06/03/2020 Thameslink / Great Northern Trainee driver advert for LDN Hornsey & Brighton depots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancythis

Because of the number of applications its usually the case that there are a series of screening questions for trainee driver jobs, and the results are used to reduce the number of applications. It's the same these days with most jobs that are popular; after all few organisations have the capability to read 100s or even 1000s of CVs!

Good luck with your application

Cheers, sounds like I’ll need it! Good luck on the next one mate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ludus

Still no reply
Same... I wouldn't hold our breathe to be honest, given the current COVID-19 crisis. I highly doubt they will now be taking on new trainees.

Also, I'm surprised we haven't had to do any kind of online assessment yet?

387star

On Moderation
Brighton has tradionally been the hardest Thameslink depot to get into

Indeed downsizing was talked about in 2016 but despite losing 20 odd to Three Bridges a similar number of mostly new drivers went to Brighton along with ex Southern

Brighton has some good work to Cambridge and Littlehampton but the latter is link 1 only. There was some awful all night work to Bedford including random staff stops and stopping at city TL / Farringdon whilst remembering not to open the doors ! (AC /DC changeover whilst stations are closed)
Night work includes stopping all stations Pancras to St Albans and Single Line working is common

Brighton unlike Three Bridges does nor have an all night service but there are still very early trains towards Brighton from Bedford
These jobs may go internally as many depot drivers at Three Bridges wish to go mainline. Part of the reason for this is their jobs are changing with pay being reduced.
A few live Barnham /Seaford area so may find Brighton easier to get to.

Knowledgeboy

Same... I wouldn't hold our breathe to be honest, given the current COVID-19 crisis. I highly doubt they will now be taking on new trainees.

Also, I'm surprised we haven't had to do any kind of online assessment yet?
Had my DMI last week. Awaiting medical after two years in talent pool. This is gonna screw the whole country.

Ludus

Had my DMI last week. Awaiting medical after two years in talent pool. This is gonna screw the whole country.
Yeah that confirms my fears, they certainly will not be accepting new trainees now and if the talent pool is 2 years then I can't see them opening another application process for another year or so. I expect none of us will hear back from these applications.

On the bright side however, at least this gives us all more time to prepare for and practice the assessments as well as giving us the opportunity to add to our CV to make us even more appealing when the next opportunity comes, whenever that may be! :smile:

railwanabe

I have been told the lady dealing with this has not been in last few days. Should hear from her shortly.

Fancythis

I got my rejection letter. I asked for feedback as I'd got practically all the way through with another TOC, but nothing forthcoming apart from standard tips on applications.
Bad luck mate. Did this letter come in email form? Was this recent, or a couple of weeks ago when a few others received rejections?

Sussexdrummer

Bad luck mate. Did this letter come in email form? Was this recent, or a couple of weeks ago when a few others received rejections?
Thanks. It was via email and also on my online 'careers' account. I emailed the guy who's name was on the bottom of the rejection letter and asked for some feedback. I got this response:

"Thank you for your email regarding feedback. Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications I am unable to give individual feedback at this stage. I do however want to take this opportunity to share some tips with you regarding online applications. Please see attached document to help support any future applications.

We appreciate the time you have taken to submit an application.

Good Luck!"

...There was no attachment on the email.

Chanteford

Has anyone else heard anything, I applied at the beginning of March and haven't heard anything :(

Ana D

Has anyone done the tests yet? They’re not very difficult I found but you never know what they really expect.

Jaytrains

Yhhh that part where they ask u what’s the least important thing on the list and the 3 most important thing on there a bit tricky

Ana D

Yhhh that part where they ask u what’s the least important thing on the list and the 3 most important thing on there a bit tricky
Yeah I agree, wasn’t much to choose from either. But I also think safety comes first then customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.