• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NEW 06/03/2020 Thameslink / Great Northern Trainee driver advert for LDN Hornsey & Brighton depots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacey

Hi all i am currently awaiting a dmi for Brighton depot with GTR. Any GTR Brighton drivers on here ? are they short, is it a good depot to work from. any information would be much appreciated via DM or on here. This is for a trainee driver role.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all i am currently awaiting a dmi for Brighton depot with GTR. Any GTR Brighton drivers on here ? are they short, is it a good depot to work from. any information would be much appreciated via DM or on here. This is for a trainee driver role.
There are probably a few short ones, yes :D

Sorry, that doesn’t help anyone :)

387star

On Moderation
Brighton is one of the better Thameslink depots although they used to have brutal jobs like a midnight something to bedford all stations after St Pancras and back in Brighton around 5 am . Cambridge link probably had more sociable hours. Only senior drivers sign Littlehampton. All mainline now at least with no Suttons like they used to have.

jacey

Yes the Brighton depot. Have you had the email to book in for DMI?
No i haven't heard anything. HR said they would contact me with dates a couple weeks ago heard nothing since. A good sign you have a date though i guess hopefully i will hear soon. when is yours booked ?

jacey

To be honest, I haven’t booked it yet as I don’t feel prepared enough. All the dates were for this month. Going to try and buy an extra couple of weeks
When did you pass the assessments ? good to know things seem to be moving. i have taken and passed a dmi before so i have a fairly good understanding of what they entail although a different toc.

TBDDesiro

No i haven't heard anything. HR said they would contact me with dates a couple weeks ago heard nothing since. A good sign you have a date though i guess hopefully i will hear soon. when is yours booked ?

At least I’m not alone! Brighton too

Loonylefty

I’m still waiting to book an assessment centre date. Last email I had was dated 2/9 and that said centre was fully booked until end of September.

Sleepycat

Anyone heard back from the recent assesment centre and mmi?

Hi all, just to let those of you know who applied for the Hornsey depot...after hearing some people had heard from their assessment day and mmi and i hadnt heard (for nearly 8 weeks) I decided to email HR. I received a swift reply confirming I had passed and an apology for not receiving the initial message confirming this.

So any of you who haven't heard it may be worth sending an email.

Martin93

Hi all, just to let those of you know who applied for the Hornsey depot...after hearing some people had heard from their assessment day and mmi and i hadnt heard (for nearly 8 weeks) I decided to email HR. I received a swift reply confirming I had passed and an apology for not receiving the initial message confirming this.

So any of you who haven't heard it may be worth sending an email.
Congratulations I applied for Hornsey to

joshuan542

Brighton is one of the better Thameslink depots although they used to have brutal jobs like a midnight something to bedford all stations after St Pancras and back in Brighton around 5 am . Cambridge link probably had more sociable hours. Only senior drivers sign Littlehampton. All mainline now at least with no Suttons like they used to have.
Interesting, is there a reason only seniors can do LT?

387star

On Moderation
Interesting, is there a reason only seniors can do LT?
They run few trains there and probably hardly any at the moment

Littlehampton only requires so many drivers. It's good coastal work and away from the intensity of much of the TL route although is still station heavy ! Thameslink never used to have links they were only introduced in the last few years to focus routes at larger depots on select drivers

I can't think of another TL depot with a different link structure perhaps Cambridge

DwayneB8z

Has anyone done the psychometric tests & if so how intense was it?

Also was the group bourdon dots? or does it change on the day?

Thanks.

joshuan542

Thanks.
Group bourdon is the dots test, SCAAT is the letter and shapes

can be quite intense if you aren’t ready for it

Pabloid

Thanks.
Howdy DwayneB8z!
Did my psycho's today. Ultimately failed ... BUT let me say with hindsight it could have been all so different! Firstly, if you have prepped you have a great chance.
Today was as follows: Check in, id as required. Admins were brill in that they summarized what was to follow for the day. 5 of us. Plenty of friendly Q&A. Got started with the DOTS Group Bourdon that was over explained to be fair. Get to it: The sheets were so clear, spaces between the squares of dots were further apart than the practice sheets we get - result. Not tricky just retain focus. Do 9 lines and little or no errors. It was easy. Honestly easy. Take your time, we are not supercomputers. All done. You don't get sent home if you flunk it; rather we move into other pen/pencil tests straightaway. After 5 mins or so up next is the GLOP passage - chill, it is not that taxing. - Hear then read the small passage, make notes then answer the multichoice Q's. Again, quite straightforward & if you can retain a bit of info it is easy. Seriously easier than you might fret.
Next is DIALS test. Again, paper pencil based. ADVICE: Just ensure you understand the logic & ask if not before test begins. I EMPHASISE THIS!! I personally answered 33 & passed to enhanced standard but I believe 28 ish is good enough correct answers to pass the standards.
After a short break comes the tones/directory stuff. Again this is dead straightforward. You count low tones against high tones (my 10 yr old could do it) then the telephone directory check is child's play also. Simply circle the entries with same symbols eg 00 or xx. Then the /combination of tones (only one tone) and directory symbols checking which you need to be quick with but again not stellar diffiicult.
Unfortunately 3 of the 5 were sent home after these tests were marked. Guess what? Group Bourdon failures! 2 of us left:
WAVF (flashing grey square), ATAVT, & 2hand co-ordination to follow. These computer tests are done without any break. I was sent home after this suite of tests because I flunked the ATAVT test. My admin feedback was clear: ALL my tests were passed to enhanced standards BUT I messed up my ATAVT. NOBODY passed the tests from my group (Other guy failed the 2 hand co-ordination test) All home early, no MMI.
I am on the floor tonight yet the day was fair & square. I believe I know why i messed up the ATAVT but i need to get the opportunity to try this element again if i am lucky enough to survive a future sift.

joshuan542

Howdy DwayneB8z!
Did my psycho's today. Ultimately failed ... BUT let me say with hindsight it could have been all so different! Firstly, if you have prepped you have a great chance.
Today was as follows: Check in, id as required. Admins were brill in that they summarized what was to follow for the day. 5 of us. Plenty of friendly Q&A. Got started with the DOTS Group Bourdon that was over explained to be fair. Get to it: The sheets were so clear, spaces between the squares of dots were further apart than the practice sheets we get - result. Not tricky just retain focus. Do 9 lines and little or no errors. It was easy. Honestly easy. Take your time, we are not supercomputers. All done. You don't get sent home if you flunk it; rather we move into other pen/pencil tests straightaway. After 5 mins or so up next is the GLOP passage - chill, it is not that taxing. - Hear then read the small passage, make notes then answer the multichoice Q's. Again, quite straightforward & if you can retain a bit of info it is easy. Seriously easier than you might fret.
Next is DIALS test. Again, paper pencil based. ADVICE: Just ensure you understand the logic & ask if not before test begins. I EMPHASISE THIS!! I personally answered 33 & passed to enhanced standard but I believe 28 ish is good enough correct answers to pass the standards.
After a short break comes the tones/directory stuff. Again this is dead straightforward. You count low tones against high tones (my 10 yr old could do it) then the telephone directory check is child's play also. Simply circle the entries with same symbols eg 00 or xx. Then the /combination of tones (only one tone) and directory symbols checking which you need to be quick with but again not stellar diffiicult.
Unfortunately 3 of the 5 were sent home after these tests were marked. Guess what? Group Bourdon failures! 2 of us left:
WAVF (flashing grey square), ATAVT, & 2hand co-ordination to follow. These computer tests are done without any break. I was sent home after this suite of tests because I flunked the ATAVT test. My admin feedback was clear: ALL my tests were passed to enhanced standards BUT I messed up my ATAVT. NOBODY passed the tests from my group (Other guy failed the 2 hand co-ordination test) All home early, no MMI.
I am on the floor tonight yet the day was fair & square. I believe I know why i messed up the ATAVT but i need to get the opportunity to try this element again if i am lucky enough to survive a future sift.
You were at go ahead today? I did mine today but for shunter so I assume you were in about midday ? We have to wait for our pass results on GB and part 1 and 2 of the TRP

Need2

May I ask how you know you passed to an enhanced level?
I don’t know anyone who has ever been told there results during the testing?

baz962

Established Member
I originally did my psychometric tests with Thameslink and we were told it was to enhanced. After the first three tests , people that had failed any part were sent home and also the people that only passed to standard were sent home at that same point.

iphone76

Do you think it was too much to do on one day? When I did mine about 6 years ago with a different company the paper and computer based tests were split over 2 days, a few weeks apart.

Sorry to hear, but keep with it. Good luck!

Pabloid

You were at go ahead today? I did mine today but for shunter so I assume you were in about midday ? We have to wait for our pass results on GB and part 1 and 2 of the TRP
No. South Parade OPC came to Leeds for a week apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.