• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New 185 Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
So what do the bits of scribble at the carriage ends represent or did they just let a three year old design that bit?

LucaZone

I suspect this will be the livery applied to the 165/166 fleet once they get into overhaul mode after the start of the Greater Western Franchise.

Didnt think First Group were serious about the Squiggle Design, that it was just a marketing thing and they would stick with the non-white Barbie livery.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looks much better like that TBH, IMO!

The 'squiggles' on the end form part of the 'Lightning' livery, which is to be the new standard livery on First Group rail vehicles. IMPO, it looks much better than the current livery. These lines add the final, important touch to the livery. Without them, it just doesn't feel right.

I absolutely can't wait to sight and phot, preferably video, these units! I was to be on the first ever public passenger service run, but a shortage of money, bad times and probable unavailability on the day means I have to let other people set history, whereas I'll be sleeping, dreaming of how much fun it would be to be at Manchester for that first run...Why is it I always miss the important events?!
--- edited ---
Dennis said:
So what do the bits of scribble at the carriage ends represent or did they just let a three year old design that bit?

I believe this lines form the 'Lightning' lines that run down the carriage. The number, shape and different colours of them, to me, just look like differently intensely powered lines, the power in those lines giving them their shape at the end of the units. But maybe this is just me.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
*awaits 158s, 150/2s and pacers in this lush livery - not forgetting the HST's* bring on April 1st! woo, back to the 185's though, I didn't know there was one in the UK on test?

Nick

Not bad, however I am not sure I like the deep purple changing to light blue by the top, would of prefered it as all purple!

LucaZone

HSTfan!!! said:
*awaits 158s, 150/2s and pacers in this lush livery - not forgetting the HST's* bring on April 1st! woo, back to the 185's though, I didn't know there was one in the UK on test?

I have an inclining that First's accountants wont let the HST fleet be rebranded for a 5th time. Especially as that means they'll need to change the 180 fleet as well to bring it inline, and thats on top of changing turbos from Thames Trains colours, and scuds from wessex livery!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Myself and spm43030 have already designed several variations of the "new" squiggle livery on our HST drawings. I'll put them up later but for now here's my 166 in 2 versions of the squiggles livery:
fgwrefurb1667ku.png

Julian G

Established Member
50149 said:
Myself and spm43030 have already designed several variations of the "new" squiggle livery on our HST drawings. I'll put them up later but for now here's my 166 in 2 versions of the squiggles livery:
fgwrefurb1667ku.png
good drawing
livery is (does anyone has a sick bag? ;))

T

the slapper

Gosh, Another First Group Livery, Thats Rare. Hell, maybe this one will last more than 2 years, no thats impossible, I mean, they would have some more dosh and time to do useful stuff with all that extra cash. And it obviously doesn't do the TOCs reputation any good either, take GNER and Chiltern, One Livery since the start, and they are rock bottom :rolleyes:

So anyone want to start a sweepstake on what 2008's new livery will be? I thinking Pokadots, they've Done Straight lines, and now Swiggly lines, maybe they will go all radical.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I really like that new livery. Sleek and modern! :)

Sprog

Established Member
50149 said:
fgwrefurb1667ku.png

In addition to J's drawings of the Turbos, this is his and mine's collaboration to 'paint' a HST set in Firsts new 'Neon' livery: :)

fgwneonhst8jm.png

(© Sprog and J.Hunter)

Trippy eh!? ;) :violent3: :headbang:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
the slapper said:
And it obviously doesn't do the TOCs reputation any good either, take GNER and Chiltern, One Livery since the start, and they are rock bottom :rolleyes:

Rubbish! FGW are one hell of a TOC and every journey I make with them its brilliant, I find the staff to be excellent, delays to be minimal and very rarely are the trains dirty. And FGW are always willing to admit to their mistakes as well as apologise in advance for delays.... with that sort of reputation its no wonder they got the new franchise. I'm sick of people implying that FGW are rubbish because they are not

<end of rant>

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thank you HSTfan!!!. Glad you got there before me, I could have easily posted a huge amount of why FGW are better than GNER and Chiltern in response. I could still do it, so if this argument about First goes any further, I'll make sure I do it.

the slapper (gosh, what an excellent and mature user name!), are you sure you're not a chav in disguise? Only chavs have such narrow-minded, immature views. Sorry, no, I'm wrong. No, I meant to include that huge group of Chiltern and GNER fans too. *Goes looking for GNER and Chiltern fans, finds just a couple*

Who cares if First change their livery? Currently First Group have many different liveries when including FTPX, FGWL, FSR and FGW. They are going to change that and have one uniform livery, which is a mammoth task, considering the amount of rolling stock they have to do in the new colours. It'll take time too, as they will need to pull rolling stock off service at the same time as they become due for an exam, which means we'll be waiting some time for the entire fleet to be coloured in the new livery. But so what? It's a large fleet. I'd like to see GNER or Chiltern do the same job, quicker and better. What's that? They could? Poppycock.

Everyone complains about First's livery on all their stock every time it changes. I still say it's better than the 'We like business travellers and rich leisure travellers only' attitude and livery GNER has. It's also better than the 'We tried to be big and use white as the dominate colour like ScotRail, but we chickened out and got a three-year-old to design it for us' Chiltern.

First actually have some level of interest in where they run to. They promote travel on their services for the leisure traveller, something which GNER find hard to comprehend. Chiltern don't really run to anywhere interesting, apart from a couple of services to Stratford-upon-Avon. Birmingham is NOT that interesting, only much use for shoppers and cheap-skates Chiltern is.

Can GNER say they were ultra-innovative, in that they were the first TOC to operate a fully-interactive at-seat entertainment system, with movies, TV shows, games and more for their passengers? No? Exactly, First got there and became the first company to do so. Wi-Fi was done first by GNER? Pish-posh, it's ridiculously expensive in Standard Class, isn't all that reliable or quick either. It's only any good to First Class passengers. Which really backs up again my view GNER runs only for First Class passengers, or those on expensive tickets. The fact they can't afford the premiums they promised doesn't say much for them either.

First can say they were the first to do many things related to passenger satisfaction, comfort and safety, again something GNER and Chiltern can't. First got rid of 47/8s and MK2s on daytime trains, something the vast majority applauds.

Of course, FGW and FGWL have the 'Forward' frequent traveller membership scheme, one that allows most people to join, unlike GNER's horrific scheme. Free Weekend First upgrade vouchers, free drinks on board, discounted snacks, First Class lounge entry vouchers, free weekend car parking and more. First listened to the passengers and previously scheme members to make Forward the best scheme around, one that passengers actually wanted to join and made them feel rewarded for their frequent travelling. I'm a Forward member, dead proud of it too.

But of course, we've been going for ages on this today. I haven't even begun to get into much of why First are better than GNER and Chiltern yet. That can wait until later or next week. Of course, this replaces the weekly Sunday rant, as I'm off all day tomorrow.

I await comments.

LucaZone

Lets keep on topic shall we :)

Great Livery designs, although ive seen a number of ways to name it it would be funny if it grabbed the name : Crayon Livery :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
*Raises middle finger on two hands, aims towards a certain member*

It is still on-topic, to the extent it was a direct reply regarding liveries, which expanded into an amount of discussion about First, still on-topic. So stuff your 'Let's stick on topic'.

As for your proposed nickname, I don't see how you make that seem sensible. But hey, if Mr. I don't do fictional stock (who went back in 2004 to relivery a Turbo in FGW colours...) thinks its a good name, I daresay the forum will take to it like fire to wood...

*Walks off, grabs coat*

Nitro

I quite like the new livery actually. Well its better than c2c's current one! :angry5: I hate it some much, why couldnt they keep the LTS livery with the green doors it was much better than this.

Sprog

Established Member
The official name for the new First livery is 'NEON'.

However, me and J' have nicknamed it First GW trippin' livery

(Drug connotation from the younger memembers)

Basically, when you take drugs you 'trip' and this (supposedly - i dont know personally....of course :confused: :oops: ;) ) involves hillousinations etc. and see 'physcodelic' colours (hippies!!!) and so hence the new funny/colourfull/vibrant colours of First being called trippin'!! :D

Gareth Hale

First Transpennine Express
Its not my favourite livery, but it looks nice. :home: It certainly has the 'modern' look to it. I really like the GMPTE Grey - Red and White livery which used to be on Class 142 'Pacers'. Hopefully, oneday they will consider that livery again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.