• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New addict to Railway Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
After alot of thought, hassle and consideration, I have taken the plunge to get back into model railways again. I used to have a OO then N gauge sets when I was in junior & secondary school, many many years ago.

Anyway following some queries and advice in other threads here, I have decided to go for OO again and went into a well known model shop in southwest London last Saturday. They had a very good deal on a Hornby set, ref R 1072 Flying Scotsman, the price was already good, but they had another £ 30.00 off too, so the cost was just under £ 100.00. It had the loco, controller, 3 coaches and as well as the basic track, there were 2 additional track packs.

I suspect that the stock would have been from the "Railroad" range, but even so, the saving buying my first set this way, rather than seperately was most considerable. I was told that railroad was a cheaper and less detailed version of their models, but infact the loco and stock looked very fine indeed.

For the future, I presume that Hornby & Bachman stock can be coupled together?

I just have to work out where to set up the layout. I guess it will have to be the garage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
As long as the hornby and bachmann stock have the same coupler (e.g. Tension lock) then they should couple. One thing to be aware of however is the older bachmann stock (like my GWR 'Hall') that has narrower tension lock couplers when run with my hornby 'Hawksworth' rake that has wider couplers they have a nasty habit of un-coupleing themselves on tight radius curves.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
As long as the hornby and bachmann stock have the same coupler (e.g. Tension lock) then they should couple. One thing to be aware of however is the older bachmann stock (like my GWR 'Hall') that has narrower tension lock couplers when run with my hornby 'Hawksworth' rake that has wider couplers they have a nasty habit of un-coupleing themselves on tight radius curves.

OK, Thanks for info. :D

lsluke

I am looking at beginning a model railway collection. Just wondering what sort of set is best to start and were I should start from to be honest?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I am looking at beginning a model railway collection. Just wondering what sort of set is best to start and were I should start from to be honest?

It depends somewhat on how much money you want to spend, it is an expensive hobby, but see my posting in thread 1 above here, Modelzone certainly had a good deal on the Flying Scotsmand set I bought from them a couple of weeks ago, also look at Hattons, Gaugemaster, Allsorts in Tiverton and Rails of Sheffield websites. You can sometimes get some good odds and ends at Charity Shops, Car boot sales, jumble sales if you are there at the right time as well as at some of the preserved railways who as well as selling new good, some too have some second hand bits that may be OK. I am just starting again after about 40 years and enjoying it. Good luck.

lsluke

It depends somewhat on how much money you want to spend, it is an expensive hobby, but see my posting in thread 1 above here, Modelzone certainly had a good deal on the Flying Scotsmand set I bought from them a couple of weeks ago, also look at Hattons, Gaugemaster, Allsorts in Tiverton and Rails of Sheffield websites. You can sometimes get some good odds and ends at Charity Shops, Car boot sales, jumble sales if you are there at the right time as well as at some of the preserved railways who as well as selling new good, some too have some second hand bits that may be OK. I am just starting again after about 40 years and enjoying it. Good luck.

Thanks for the help!

deltic1989

Established Member
I second everything stevieboy says and will add that you can get some real bargains at toy fairs and swapmeets. Once upon a time I went to a toy fair at Lincoln Showground with £40 in my wallet, I left with a Lima Deltic, a Hornby 08, 4x mk1 coaches, a soldering iron, solder and a tenner.
Ebay can also be a gold mine if you're looking at the right time.
If you are a total novice to the hobby then may i suggest buying one of the Hornby sets? Whichever one fits your budget the best, most if not all hornby sets have a track mat included in the box that has a layout design alrady laid out, and you can buy the track and building packs to make that layout seperately.

i also mus say welcome to the hobby lsluke and, welcome back stevieboy. :)

PUFFINGBILLY

Given your interest in Heritage lines and the Bluebell railway how about modelling the latter and showing it at exhibitions?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Given your interest in Heritage lines and the Bluebell railway how about modelling the latter and showing it at exhibitions?

Yes, that would be a good idea for the future, just need to get some practice first. (Infact I recently purchased a small LBSCR Hornby OO Tank loco.)

Status
Not open for further replies.