• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New announcement on Sub-surface Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

subk2010

I watched several videos on YouTube and I discovered there are some new announcements.

I saw that the announcement on the station changed to " This is WWW. The next station is X. This is a Y Line train to Z". When and why did TfL change the format of the announcement? The new one is absolutely weird when the audio plays.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
Yes S Stock recently had the CIS software updated prior to SMA 3 CBTC commissioning.
Several user groups preferred announcing the destination first, as previously this was left to the end of the message and was sometimes lost with the closing doors.

More messages are available to be setup by the Control Centre now, such as face-coverings, South Kensington closure etc, without driver input. Simply typed onto a keyboard and automatically sent to all trains as both a voice and visual aid.

subk2010

And I found that there are announcements for delays.
Are these announcements are played at all times when there is a delay?

TFN

1-2 weeks ago I was on a District Line train and at every stop it was making the "Smoking and drinking alcohol is not permitted on London Underground."

On the return journey it was a "beggars operate on this train" announcement at every stop.

Luckily I was on for only 6 stops but it was very very annoying!

vlad

On the return journey it was a "beggars operate on this train" announcement at every stop.

To me that sounds like "Revenue protection officers operate on this train" - in other words TfL specifically employ the beggars to interact with their passengers. ;)

subk2010

There weren't any beggars on the train that day I hope! ;) Indeed the repetitive announcement are very noisy and annoying
1-2 weeks ago I was on a District Line train and at every stop it was making the "Smoking and drinking alcohol is not permitted on London Underground."

Luckily I was on for only 6 stops but it was very very annoying!

subk2010

I made an FOI Request earlier about the new announcement on these four lines. TfL claimed that the reason for this change is to provide convenience for visually impaired customers.

Attachments

• 微信截图_20210520011748.png
    微信截图_20210520011748.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 100

leytongabriel

Wasn't there a minister who spoke about excess announcements a while back. Seems a 'culture' that is getting engrained and hard to change. Couldn't the 'this is a........ line train calling at all stations to......' bit be limited to interchange stations? I've never been on a Victoria, Bakerloo, Central, District or Jubilee train for example that didn't call at all stations

simple simon

As (nowadays) trains on all bar the Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines always call at all stations only Met line trains need the 'calling at xx stations' bit - and even here for full impact this should be used sparingly, eg: not at all for northbound trains north of Harrow OTH, nor for southbound trains south of Harrow-OTH

In other words, all northbound trains as far as Harrow and all southbound trains as far as Harrow OTH. In both cases after Harrow all trains will call at all stations as per their planned journey - whether fast, semi-fast or slow - and there is no possibility of a passenger boarding the 'wrong' train.

The only exceptions should be at times of disruption or planned station closure, eg: a station that is closed for a special reason or (on the Piccadilly line) additionally calling at Turnham Green.

321over360

I miss the old D78 announcements on the District Line, much better, cos they were nice like the Central Line (until the robotic ones were added to the mix to announce LO and TFL Rail (instead of just sticking with NR Services which both are), i mean back on the D78 where no interchange/exits say This is Mansion House, this is a District Line train to Richmond, only time the next stop came into the announcement was when the train was suitably away from where it had just stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.