• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Beeching book available for the Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostStation

Please forgive me if I'm breaking any forum rules but I thought you may be interested to know that Beeching - 50 years of the axeman is now available for the Kindle at £3.99 - quite a bit cheaper than the print version.

"Against the dynamic background of the greatest decade of change of the 20th century, Heritage Railway editor Robin Jones looks back at the forces that were shaping the railway’s fortunes, the Beeching Axe, its critics, aftermath and its repercussions today.
Was Dr Beeching the villain of popular legend – or was he a hero who made Britain’s railways into a slimmer, leaner machine far more capable of tackling the challenges of the future?"

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007KZVTIK
US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KZVTIK

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
I suspect some would call me a luddite, and this response is quite ironic considering what I do for a living, but I'd much rather pay an extra 2 or 3 quid and have a printed bookazine that I can read than a kindle publication.

GhostStation

I suppose it's just a matter of preference - and it's nice to have a choice. The amount of Kindles and iPads I see on the underground, there must be a fair few people who prefer digital content!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Please forgive me if I'm breaking any forum rules but I thought you may be interested to know that Beeching - 50 years of the axeman is now available for the Kindle at £3.99 - quite a bit cheaper than the print version.

"Against the dynamic background of the greatest decade of change of the 20th century, Heritage Railway editor Robin Jones looks back at the forces that were shaping the railway’s fortunes, the Beeching Axe, its critics, aftermath and its repercussions today.
Was Dr Beeching the villain of popular legend – or was he a hero who made Britain’s railways into a slimmer, leaner machine far more capable of tackling the challenges of the future?"

:)

Dr Beeching was the well paid figurehead who got all the flak for implementing the policy of Ernest Marples, Transport Minister, ( part of whose family business involved road construction. That doesn't mean he did anything wrong, but in my opinion it made him a less than ideal selection of someone to make a fair assessment of the relative merits of different forms of transport )
The policy was sadly continued by Barbara Castle - probably at the insistence of the Treasury, as the economy had (yet again) got into a bit of a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.