• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Seeing as our photo hosting website has provided the facility to have a blog, I have decided to try it out even though writing is not my strong point. To get a quick start to play around with the settings without spending ages at a keyboard I have started with a couple of reports that were originally written for Six Bells Junction and have added five days worth of reports from our trip last month. I have attempted to follow the pattern used by most people in the late lamented "European Report" magazine which, despite my reluctance to write, I did enjoy contributing to as well as reading about other people's trips.

Anyway, here is the blog , any comments will be gratefully received; in particular I am curious as to people's preference to a background, is white writing on black OK or would something light with dark writing be better to read against?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
I like! Yes the font colours are fine. I also like the linking of the locomotive when writing about it, especially as I haven't the foggiest of anything vaguely continental. And most importantly an enjoyable read.

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback, glad you noticed (and like) the links in the text, thought it might be an idea especially with foreign stuff where I didn't take a picture of the actual train / occasion. I also considered putting the actual times and distances on the "moves" section but thought it might be over-kill; or would people be interested?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
OK, thanks - I will leave it as it is for the moment to see if I get any more feedback. The blog has to be all the same style so I can't change backgrounds between items, but would something like THIS or THIS be better, if you can imagine them with more writing on?

Both of those work much better for me - in general, dark text on a light background works better than the reverse, and it helps to have plenty of contrast between text and background (might sound obvious, but have a look round and see how many sites have dark grey text on a light grey background or vice versa).

There's some interesting stuff here
http://www.visualexpert.com/FAQ/Part6/cfaqPart6.html#p6.2
and here
http://www.w3schools.com/quality/quality_readability.asp
on text design

Pumbaa

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback, glad you noticed (and like) the links in the text, thought it might be an idea especially with foreign stuff where I didn't take a picture of the actual train / occasion. I also considered putting the actual times and distances on the "moves" section but thought it might be over-kill; or would people be interested?

Well in the same way we all record by our own rules, the distances and times wouldn't interest me at all. But if you want to, I'm sure someone will appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.