• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Book - 'Merseyside Traction'

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
Hopefully. I've posted this in the correct section and is allowed? I am sure (hopeful) that some members may be interested?

Yesterday was the release of my first railway book entitled 'Merseyside Traction' published by Amberley Publishing Ltd. The book featuring 185 images covers a period of over 20 years, featuring different traction, liveries and location within the Merseytravel boundary. It should be available in some (local) book sellers and obviously online too from various outlets including Amazon, WH Smith etc.

For more information - https://www.amberley-books.com/coming-s ... ction.html

41432012972_c59b2ba522_n.jpg
26602852277_aee81fe978_n.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Hopefully. I've posted this in the correct section and is allowed? I am sure (hopeful) that some members may be interested?

Yesterday was the release of my first railway book entitled 'Merseyside Traction' published by Amberley Publishing Ltd. The book featuring 185 images covers a period of over 20 years, featuring different traction, liveries and location within the Merseytravel boundary. It should be available in some (local) book sellers and obviously online too from various outlets including Amazon, WH Smith etc.

Looks good that.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I believe WHS managers still have some control over what local books they stock in their branches, assuming Swindon HQ has an arrangement with the publisher, which they certainly do with Amberley. My local branch in Cornwall has a space allocated to Amberley local titles. Might be worth a visit with the book to a branch or two?

8A Rail

Established Member
I believe WHS managers still have some control over what local books they stock in their branches, assuming Swindon HQ has an arrangement with the publisher, which they certainly do with Amberley. My local branch in Cornwall has a space allocated to Amberley local titles. Might be worth a visit with the book to a branch or two?
It is ok. Amberley Publishing have the matter in hand, as they do ask the Authors their preferences and were they like their books to be circulated especially locally. I have already gave them my (open) preferences for possible display and purchase in and around Merseyside. They are also aware I am very much open to wider circulation (in physical form) and I am sure Amberley Publishing will do the honours.

One thing I had made my laugh especially over the weekend, I checked out Amazon and yes its available there but one so called book seller was selling 'used' but excellent copies of the book!! Not sure how that is possible as none had been on sale until the weekend , so how could you have a used copy if only just become available!

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It is ok. Amberley Publishing have the matter in hand, as they do ask the Authors their preferences and were they like their books to be circulated especially locally. I have already gave them my (open) preferences for possible display and purchase in and around Merseyside. They are also aware I am very much open to wider circulation (in physical form) and I am sure Amberley Publishing will do the honours.

One thing I had made my laugh especially over the weekend, I checked out Amazon and yes its available there but one so called book seller was selling 'used' but excellent copies of the book!! Not sure how that is possible as none had been on sale until the weekend , so how could you have a used copy if only just become available!
As a bookseller who's never sold online, I could speculate, but might get libellous! Shall I just say that I've heard of cases where a book has been advertised that the seller doesn't actually have in stock, and never has done, but once they've obtained a prepaid order they endeavour to purchase one from somewhere else at a discount. Not saying this is the case here, obviously!

8A Rail

Established Member
As a bookseller who's never sold online, I could speculate, but might get libellous! Shall I just say that I've heard of cases where a book has been advertised that the seller doesn't actually have in stock, and never has done, but once they've obtained a prepaid order they endeavour to purchase one from somewhere else at a discount. Not saying this is the case here, obviously!
That would not surprise me what so ever but the fact of the matter, another book has been sold which ever way you look at it. Regardless, profit margin for someone doing that would not be that great. A lot of effort for marginal gain!!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Amberley do seem to be churning out a lot of railway books at the moment. Hopefully there is a market for all these books. While Doug's book will also have a good deal of local interest, it seems that one or two of the publications they are producing are little more than someone's personal collection of pictures of a particular type of loco or unit. I guess time will tell if such books are commercially viable!

BlythPower

Amberley do seem to be churning out a lot of railway books at the moment. Hopefully there is a market for all these books. While Doug's book will also have a good deal of local interest, it seems that one or two of the publications they are producing are little more than someone's personal collection of pictures of a particular type of loco or unit. I guess time will tell if such books are commercially viable!

I don't know if it's the quality of the paper, but the photographic reproduction in so many books these days is atrocious. Nowadays I don't get any new book that I haven't seen in the flesh.

8A Rail

Established Member

Amberley approach me to compile the book entitled 'Merseyside Traction' on the basis of images they had seen images of mine from other sources including my Flickr site(s). I have attempted to show variety of motive power (mutiple units included), liveries and locations over a 20 year period to show that Merseyside is an interesting railway area. Although your thought about "personal collection of pictures of a particular type of loco / unit' is not aimed at me, may I assure you that the images selected are not necessarily my favourites or what ever, if they were, my book would be totally different. The title of the book is "Merseyside Traction" and I have kept the contents based on that title which includes over 40 different type's of traction, not including sub classes, all lines covered, numerous liveries and locations too.

As for Amberley Publishing, I doubt they would commission books for the sheer hell of it, otherwise would not stay in business for long. However like all publishers, some books will always do better than others, it is the nature of the game. I have no idea if my book will be a success (early days) but I've tried to make it as interesting as possible.

I don't know if it's the quality of the paper, but the photographic reproduction in so many books these days is atrocious. Nowadays I don't get any new book that I haven't seen in the flesh.

Yes I understand were you are coming from and it does happen. Depends on the publisher with regards to the printing etc but also emphasis is placed on the photographer too. You cannot make a slik purse out of a sows ear, which sums up issues in some books. However, I am no different to you. I like to see the book first before I purchase it but sometimes you got to take a chance. I think my book / images have been reproduced very well indeed given some images were digital, others scanned from transparencies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Alan Sutton created Alan Sutton Publishing back in the 1970s, selling that later and then creating Tempus and, more recently, Amberley. His modus operandi has always been the same: he's never claimed high production standards, and he's certainly never been accused of them! As a bookseller over thirty years, I've become very used to what to expect. There's a minimum standard which will be reached, and a maximum which won't be exceeded. I think that's a fair appraisal, I've absolutely no axe to grind. To be honest, I'd have put Ian Allan Publishing in the same category, although in a division higher, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.