• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Book - Three Men and a Bradshaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorianman

Three Men and a Bradshaw is the collection of five holiday journals written in the 1870's by John Freeman in which the author and his brothers use Bradshaw's Guide to determine their annual vacation in the British Isles. This is Bradshaw’s as it was intended to be used – by a Victorian traveller, to aid them in the time when tourism was in its infancy.

The three brothers leave their London tailoring business each summer to embark upon their railway adventures in Jersey (the Jersey and Jersey Eastern railways started in the 1870's), North Devon (they witness the opening of the Ilfracombe to Barnstaple line in 1874), North Wales (Llangollen, Betws etc), Scotland (Edinburgh and the Trossachs) and finally the Wye Valley and South Wales.

A charming read and beautifully illustrated with John Freeman's stunning drawings - a real insight into early railway tourist travel and the impact the new lines were having upon the resorts of victorian Britain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm planning to try to get it from my local library, although I've had no luck
so far.

I'll try to let you know what I think if I'm successful.

AM9

Veteran Member
Did these brothers kit themselves out with green yellow or pink jackets with which to travel in? :)

victorianman

Just for you here's the three brothers in question, Charles, John and Joseph - not sure what colour their jackets are as the photo is sepia :D
055 The dauntless three photograph.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.