• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New British Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedpan

Established Member
My EU passport runs out in February, but I applied for the new passport back in November, just in case I was able to book something for Jan/Feb (I think I had a glimmer of hope back then!), so I’ve wasted 3/4 months of it, but I’m glad I’ve got it now so I’m ready to book something as soon as it’s possible and safe.
It was £75 as well.

Not sure I see the fuss of it being blue, it’s just a passport. Hopefully I’ll actually be able to use it before it runs out!
I got a new one a year ago, just as Covid was starting. At least it's a proper burgundy coloured one!

Due to age, I also had to renew my driving licence and replace it with a photocard within the last few weeks: that was received within a few days (well under a week) and thankfully this has a nice blue rectangle with a circle of stars on it. It doesn't really matter of course other than it is a momento of what we once had.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
As the burgundy one was so updated, they must consciously have put it back to the old wording on the blue one.
I suspect that it was demanded by the ERG, most of whom would like to take us back to the 1950s if not further. They regard "blue" passports as one of the (illusory) benefits of Brexit.

Butts

Veteran Member
Who remembers the old British Visitors Passports ?

If memory serves you used to be able to get these from The Post Office and they were valid for one year.

Anyone got a photo of one ?

takno

Established Member

If memory serves you used to be able to get these from The Post Office and they were valid for one year.

I've got one in a cupboard somewhere. Was pretty good - bit of orange cardboard from a crown post office and it would get you all over Western Europe, and all the way to West Berlin by air (not that we would have afforded flying anywhere then)

Bedpan

Established Member
Here is an old one of mine, or rather ours: one document covered me, my wife and our kids. It included a list of countries you could visit. I don't know what was so special about Bermuda bearing in mind that all the other countries except Tunisia were European. You didn't need a lot of proof when buying it. I assume you would just show your birth certificates. No photo ID required as far as I can recall. in fact I knew somebody who was Irish (ie from Eire) who managed to get one by saying they were born in Londonderry! They were great, but international terrorism must have put an end to them.

There was also a pass, issued by British Railways, complete with a totem sign at the top, which allowed you to visit France for 72 hours without a passport.

20210114_043620[1].jpg20210114_043236[1].jpg 20210114_043549[1].jpg

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

The only passport I've ever held was a Visitor's Passport. All I had to do was go to the main (Crown) Post Office with (as far as I remember) two passport photographs, although there was a photo booth there if I didn't have those to hand. I can't remember which, if any, identification I needed, but I had held a driving licence for two years by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.