• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Bus Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
From May 2nd Simplibus service 11 will start running in Grimsby, Caspian Crescent to Riverhead.
With many bus operators struggling, what other new bus routes are coming soon around the UK?

Attachments

• EMID-TT-Grimsby-011-May16.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MedwayValiant

On the face of it, that looks like a fairly minor new route.

Does it serve a part of town which didn't have a bus service before, or is it the sort of route which will mainly be used by ENCTS holders who prefer not to walk a few minutes to an existing stop?

From May 2nd Simplibus service 11 will start running in Grimsby, Caspian Crescent to Riverhead.
With many bus operators struggling, what other new bus routes are coming soon around the UK?

Trentbarton have been significantly building the skylink brand over the past few years. What started as an hourly peak hour service between Nottingham and Loughborough has turned into three an hour, 24 hour a day, to the airport, with hourly extensions to Coalville and Loughborough daytime. And a limited stop one half hourly for most of the day.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Not sure I really understand this. New routes are starting up all the time, some because of council tenders, some by new operators, some being changes by established operators, some starting up in competition etc.

Unfortunately, there's probably far more services stopping than starting, due to cutbacks etc.

Boothby97

Established Member
On the face of it, that looks like a fairly minor new route.

Does it serve a part of town which didn't have a bus service before, or is it the sort of route which will mainly be used by ENCTS holders who prefer not to walk a few minutes to an existing stop?

It serves a part of town which is basically a growing housing estate which I would say justifies a regular bus service, it is around a 15 minute walk from the current nearest bus stop to far end of the estate (Caspian Crescent). The route is initially starting as an hourly route, but if its well used it could well increase in frequency.

Andyh82

Established Member
Seems a very minor route that is barely worth discussion that nobody outside of Grimsby would be interested in.

If it was a new flagship inter urban link, such as Transdev's Cityzap, now you'd be talking.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The 49 in Ponte Carlo and the 257 / 258 Elland to Brighouse "shopperbus", gthe South Pennine Community Transport services and others could be seen as minor routes but there is interest.

I'm the sort of person who would rather services flourish rather than wither and die, plus think of the jobs that it would create.

Alex 2901

From 2nd July, Oxford Bus Company will be operating a new "Airline" service to Birmingham Airport, NEC & Resorts World, via North Banbury, Warwick & University of Warwick. This will operate 2 hourly with a journey time of 2hr 10 mins from end to end.

https://m.facebook.com/oxfordbuscom...685871509822/1125180430860357/?type=3&theater

This should be interesting, last direct service from Birmingham to Oxfordshire was the X40 in the 90's!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
From 2nd July, Oxford Bus Company will be operating a new "Airline" service to Birmingham Airport, NEC & Resorts World, via North Banbury, Warwick & University of Warwick. This will operate 2 hourly with a journey time of 2hr 10 mins from end to end.

https://m.facebook.com/oxfordbuscom...685871509822/1125180430860357/?type=3&theater

This should be interesting, last direct service from Birmingham to Oxfordshire was the X40 in the 90's!

Interesting! I can see Oxford to Warwick (for the castle)/Warwick Uni in particular being popular, as well as picking up the local flow between Warwick Uni and Birmingham Airport.

Surprised that Bicester Village doesn't feature on the route while they're at it, although it's potentially a little way out of the way.

higthomas

It does strike me as odd given there's already an hourly train service. Also it stops an awful lot more than the comparable Heathrow and Gatwick services. Although inside oxford, I'm surprised it doesn't have stops down the Banbury road; although I imagine it is to allow then to change routes.

Anyway, still a little surprised. Just doesn't seem like OBCs kind of service.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Anyway, still a little surprised. Just doesn't seem like OBCs kind of service.

They're doing pretty well with the X90 and the Airline to Heathrow and Gatwick. I can imagine them doing pretty well from Warwick Uni-NEC/Airport, especially as Birmingham Airport expands with the Emirates A380 service, etc.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They're doing pretty well with the X90 and the Airline to Heathrow and Gatwick. I can imagine them doing pretty well from Warwick Uni-NEC/Airport, especially as Birmingham Airport expands with the Emirates A380 service, etc.

They've been doing the X90 (previously 190 and variations) for the last 36 years and been very successful with it. So much so that Harry Blundred introduced the Oxford Tube.

I wonder if this is partly spotting an opportunity and partly getting in there before Stagecoach do?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

My only concern would be that the Warwick Uni <> Birmingham Airport fare seems very steep compared to the train from Coventry/Canley to Birmingham International. I guess it depends if people are happy to pay a premium for a door-to-door service, albeit at a two-hourly frequency.

Some captive advertising on the University Campus would probably help as well.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
My only concern would be that the Warwick Uni <> Birmingham Airport fare seems very steep compared to the train from Coventry/Canley to Birmingham International.

It's two quid on the bus from the Uni campus to Coventry station, so the fares aren't that outlandish.

TheGrandWazoo said:
I wonder if this is partly spotting an opportunity and partly getting in there before Stagecoach do?

Part of me is surprised that Stagecoach don't already do something similar, at least from Leamington Spa and the university up to the airport.

Hornet

New routes in Slough as from last month. Left my folks without a direct Bus Service to the Town Centre for the first time in over half a century!:shock:

Trentbarton have been significantly building the skylink brand over the past few years. What started as an hourly peak hour service between Nottingham and Loughborough has turned into three an hour, 24 hour a day, to the airport, with hourly extensions to Coalville and Loughborough daytime. And a limited stop one half hourly for most of the day.

Skylink is more than just trentbarton though - given the 'Derby' side is run by wellglade sister company Kinch ... not sure of interavailability of ticketing between 'trent' skylink and 'kinch' skylink ...

EMA and the Castle Donington logistics stuff is a significant draw of traffic from Nottm/ derby/ loughboro/ leics

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Skylink is more than just trentbarton though - given the 'Derby' side is run by wellglade sister company Kinch ... not sure of interavailability of ticketing between 'trent' skylink and 'kinch' skylink ...

EMA and the Castle Donington logistics stuff is a significant draw of traffic from Nottm/ derby/ loughboro/ leics

Just to clarify. The Nottingham 'Skylink' services are run by Trentbarton. The Leicester - Derby 'Skylink' service is run by Kinchbus - as you say, both part of the Wellglade group.

Status
Not open for further replies.