• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Buses to Replaced Tired Solos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeveerYeliab

At my depot we run 6 duties with unreliable, tired 2004 solos (and a 2001 mpd!). The solos are really horrible to drive but haven’t been replaced as we can’t find a suitable replacement as everything else is too wide for the narrow lanes we run down.
We looked at solo sr’s but I don’t know what to make of them?
Anyone got any suggestions?
(Capacity isn’t an issue for the solos but anything with under 20 seats would be a stretch!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Non Multi

Reading Buses management liked the Strata. I thought it was okay as a passenger, better than the breadvans of the 1980s. I thought the Solo SR was an improvement over the Mk1, much nicer inside, fewer rattles. Solos don't seem to be built to last though.

SeveerYeliab

The Strata does seem a good option. The duties used to involve school workings so that heavily influenced the vehicle choice. However, now they are operated by recently acquired darts so we can look into things like the Strata.
Ps, thanks for the suggestion! Minibuses aren’t my area of expertise :D

winston270twm

Established Member
The Strata does seem a good option. The duties used to involve school workings so that heavily influenced the vehicle choice. However, now they are operated by recently acquired darts so we can look into things like the Strata.
Ps, thanks for the suggestion! Minibuses aren’t my area of expertise :D

The Strata's now come in a larger range, with 3 options available:

Strata - up to 22 seated
Strata Plus - up to 26 seated
Strata Ultra - up to 30 seated

Rotala also speak highly of their Strata fleet, they are exceptionally fuel efficient & easy to maintain.

peterblue

I'm quite fond of the Stratas as well from a passenger point of view.

Out of curiosity where are you based?

SeveerYeliab

Because as in the original post...

Just for clarity, we run a number of routes using old solos and are looking to a new vehicle type for the routes. The other buses in the fleet are too big to fit down the roads in the route.
I’m not sure what you mean with your previous post

Observer

Yes, look into Solo SRs, in particular the Slimline version, as they are smaller in terms of width than the standard size.

SeveerYeliab

I’m not sure if anyone on here knows, but how are the new solos in terms of durability, reliability and comfort.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just for clarity, we run a number of routes using old solos and are looking to a new vehicle type for the routes. The other buses in the fleet are too big to fit down the roads in the route.
I’m not sure what you mean with your previous post

Just that you’d already said that regular vehicles were too wide in your original post, so e200mmc were clearly not going to work :lol:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just that you’d already said that regular vehicles were too wide in your original post, so e200mmc were clearly not going to work :lol:
E200s are not in fact full width vehicles, being (in old money) 8ft wide against 8ft 4inches for a full width bus. I don't know how much narrower a slimline SR is.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Sadly no longer built but would a Plaxton Primo be up to the job, even if second hand? I'm not a driver but as a passenger they are comfy and spacious.

FX06JVF-M.jpg

PG

Established Member
You could look at the Mellor Strata too: https://www.mellorbus.com/vehicles/strata/
Looking at the pictures on the website it set me thinking...
Is there a minimum number of seats in the low floor section for a low floor bus to meet PSVAR?

It seems like there might be 3 forward facing seats in the low floor part of the Strata.
Mind you now that I think about it Stagecoach run Plaxton Elite interdeckers on their Buchan express routes in North East Scotland and they only have 2 seats downstairs, and they have a step up to get into them so not truly accessible!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
We’re based down in Devon
I'm guessing you are possibly one of the smaller independant operators such as Torbay Buses/DJ Watts, Axe Valley Mini Travel or the like. It might be worth having a word with OTS from across the Cornish border in Falmouth. They seem to have opted for the smaller-than-Strata Mercedes-Benz City 45 as their preference, but have in the past had Strata and StreetVibe demonstrators - and operate over some narrow routes themselves - so they might be able to offer some advice from their experiences?

Looking at the pictures on the website it set me thinking...
Is there a minimum number of seats in the low floor section for a low floor bus to meet PSVAR?
The "priority floor area" should, under 'best practice', cover 50% of the floor space, or as large as practically possible to cover as many seats in addition to the 'priority seats', however I understand the formal regulation requirement is only 35%. There is a minimum number of priority seats though, and that is four. In short then, my interpretation of that is that four non-tipping seats must be designated 'priority seats' in a bus with 22+ seats, and therefore at least four seats must be in the low-floor area.

Status
Not open for further replies.