New cabinet announced today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcollins, 11 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Transport Ministers haven't been confirmed yet.

Patrick McLoughlin and Claire Perry haven't been given any of the non-transport positions which have been announced so they may be staying put. However, there is a vacant position previously held by Baroness Kramer.

2. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

Yes Kramer resigned and doesn't look like McCloughin got a promotion so could be a minor reshuffle of junior ministers.

Boris hasn't been given a ministerial position instead he will sit on the 'political cabinet' aka Camerons policy advisors. First thing Boris did after being elected was meet the 1922 committee so I doubt his aspirations are done in this parliament.

3. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

As Boris is currently a MP and Mayor of London I think he needs to wait until the next Mayoral election before he tries to get in to the cabinet. Londoners are already objecting to him being a MP and Mayor of London at the same time.

4. tsr

tsr Established Member

I opened this thread getting all excited about the casing for some sort of new signalling installation, and all I got was random political news that nobody is "in charge" yet.

Anyone would think there'd been an election on...

5. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I know she wasn't latterly an MP but Kramer hardly 'resigned' any more than Nick Clegg 'resigned' as Deputy PM. The electorate 'resigned' her.:lol:

6. talltim

talltim Established Member

7. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Patrick McLoughlin remains as Secretary of State for Transport.

8. WatcherZero

Labour have reshuffled the shadow cabinet, no change to transport but Sadiq Khan has resigned as shadow justice, likely as hes planning to run for London Mayor.

9. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

They only seem to have changed the positions where people are no longer in parliament or where people have asked to leave.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Andrew Jones, who has worked on the Rail North Electrification Taskforce, has become Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Transport: http://www.railnorth.org/news/electrification-task-force-final-report-revealed/

James Wharton has a new position of "Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Communities and Local Government with responsibility for the Northern Powerhouse"

10. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

First responsibility - to find the on/off switch.

11. WatcherZero

Andrew Jones campaigned in favour of HS2 so that's two pluses.

12. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

To switch it on or to switch it off?

It is good news that Patrick McLoughlin is re-confirmed as Transport Secretary, not so much because he has been particularly good or bad but because at least there seems to be less tendency to put someone new in this post after a year or so. No news yet as far as I can see on Claire Perry, who is responsible for railways and has only been in that post for less than a year.

13. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

McLoughlin seems to have been decent enough at Transport. But it's a bit of a joke that someone who voted against Equal Marriage has been made minister for Equalities.

On a side note, who's the new Deputy PM? Is it still technically Clegg until someone new is appointed? I half hope Cameron appoints Clegg to it anyway, just so he can laugh at him on a daily basis for five years more.

14. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

There's to be no Deputy PM, at least for now. It has happened before - John Prescott was Deputy PM and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party when Tony Blair was PM, when Blair stood down Prescott also stood down. Harriet Harman was made Deputy Leader of the Labour party but not Deputy PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.