• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New CAF and Bombardier stock for West Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp21

Nothing that I can find online is particularly clear, but as I understand it, Scharfenberg* is the type of coupler, Dellner is a company that makes them (or a variant of). Similar to how Janney, Tightlock and AAR couplers are all Knuckle couplers.

*Anything with the cone and cup style is strictly speaking a Scharfenbergs

Spot on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
I am actually surprised they didn't go fixed-formation for the Cross City.

Can the existing depots accommodate 6 car though?
I certainly didn't know about Soho's 6-car restriction (hinted at in post #265) but I suspect the reason to keep them in 3-car formation is to maximise operational flexibility in case of unit failures. Better having half a train out of service than a full one.

The Soho point is apparently moot though, as WMT is looking to build a new depot at Duddeston (taken from Today's Railways UK Issue 194) on the site of the old wagon works; construction's expected to begin in August. Soho would then become a stabling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.