• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Camera Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Morning,

I own an Olympus X925 camera which has become a little battle weary. I need to replace it with a similar "pocket" digital camera. I cant afford the earth but would like a camera that has imiage stabilisation and can stop a moveing image (like a train :) )

Can any one offer me some advice?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Any decent compact camera will have a wide enough aperture and definitely a fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur in most photos. I recommend a Fujifilm Finepix compact - a decent one will set you back around £100

causton

Established Member
Agree with the Fujifilm Finepix suggestion - I recently got the S2980 (which is a bridge camera, so would be a bit too big for your needs if you need a pocket one!) for £110 and it is worth every pound, the Finepix series always has some handy features :)

Temple Meads

Established Member
I love my Fujifilm Finepix AV220, bought it new for £50, and the image quality on stationary trains is fantastic, can make a decent fist of moving trains too, so I imagine stuff higher up the Fujifilm range would just get better.

NY Yankee

The past three cameras I've purchased have been Samsungs, and they are fairly reliable and sturdy. I tend to purchase cameras with at least 8 megapixels and a 3x zoom.

deltic1989

Established Member
I love my Fujifilm Finepix AV220, bought it new for £50, and the image quality on stationary trains is fantastic, can make a decent fist of moving trains too, so I imagine stuff higher up the Fujifilm range would just get better.

Oh it does, all of the pictures that I have posted recently (in the last month or so) were taken on my Fujifilm Finepix HS 20 EXR, which i purchased after my Cannon EOS 500n film camera started to show its age. That laid me back a little over £250 and is sort of a cross between a compact and a DSLR, so maybe a bit overkill for your specification, but I can certainly recommend Fuji Cameras.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No - that sounds like an ideal camera I hope they sell them in Currys! Any further recommendations greatly appreciated.

Established Member
Canon SX130, or whatever model has replaced it. Brilliant camera for the price, and normally on a good deal at Argos.

Crossover

Established Member
Another +1 for Fujifilm. I have a Fujifilm FinepixF80 EXR (it is a year a bit old now, so there will be probably a newer model) and I have taken soime fantastic pictures on it (both rail and non rail)

The only thing it can be a bit iffy at is low light shots where it can go a bit grainy, but I think that trait plagues a few cameras.

12MP and 10x optical zoom which comes in useful for long range shots.

Also has a lot of manual adjustment in the manual mode. Only thing I think it may lack is image stabalisation, but it can stop a moving object if set right

Temple Meads

Established Member
The only thing it can be a bit iffy at is low light shots where it can go a bit grainy, but I think that trait plagues a few cameras.

I have the same issue with my Finepix, it's a bit annoying, but I ain't complaining for £50 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.