• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Camera, Recomendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Hello, I am looking into getting a new camera, as my current one is nearly 7 years old, Idealy It would be small and simple to use yet be able to take decent photo's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Do you want video?
If you want video do you want HD?
Do you want a compact camera?
Do you want a bridge camera?
Do you want an SLR camera?

I could go on.

Trainfan344

Established Member
A small compact camera, Video is not essential but a welcome extra, and is relatively cheap, any recomendations?

Nym

Established Member
The Canon Powershot G15 is relatively cheap compared with an Eos 5D and some nice lenses...

A quantification of an approximate budget might help...

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Well I have trouble with cameras but I can offer some sort of recommendations. I have 2 cameras to recommend.

Personally myself, I own a Samsung WB150F which I do have trouble with as seen in this thread. The problems I have are those of image quality and graining in the images.

images

I do think the problems I have outlined in that thread can be easily averted though with the alter of some of the settings. I believe it can be a real good camera. I mean my shots aren't that bad at times and have taken some ok shots such as this one:

htiafo.jpg

But sometimes the shots can be bad that's the thing. I only just recommend it because it is a good camera at times. Don't let what I have said put you off it as the problems can be averted, and if you do end up buying it, just alter the settings a bit. You would need the ISO to be round about 100 but there are some effects on it that have setting already pre-built into it and you can select which one you want and it will take some ok pictures. The one you want is Text in the scene selection and that is what I've been recently using for my photos. Also what is good is the miniature function which lets it focus on the object and then blurs out the rest of it.

Video-wise it's not great and is heavily pixelated, so if you want video as well, then I wouldn't recommend it.

[youtube]fKH4QgdVi3g[/youtube]

One can be picked up for around £95 if you have the non-wifi version and around £120 if you want wifi with it. (Both prices above are what it is at this moment in time on Amazon whilst they are on offer)

Check this Amazon link for prices

Second camera I would recommend is the Panasonic DMCFS3. This is what I owned previously and was not a bad little camera. It is an 8.1 megapixel but it takes nice quality pics. I would say it is actually better than the Samsung above in my experience.
41LJ70UQpzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is an image shot with one, as you can see it is better than the one of a bus I took with the samsung.

2d6prt4.jpg

Video-wise it's not bad either as shown in this video below:
[youtube]Ukp_9dLExP8[/youtube]

This can be picked up for around £65 on Amazon so it is quite a bargain. Personally out of the 2 I would choose the Lumix albeit older. Simply over the image quality and outcome. And with the OP's criteria of a small, compact, but good camera, it fits them perfectly. The Samsung has better specs but isn't as good and is a slightly more chunkier camera. The Wifi on it is rubbish as well and a waste of time and money. Let us know what you end up getting :)

Also, the cameras both take standard SD cards, but it easy to get ripped off by SD cards so if you go about buying them be careful. I've seen 8GB cards for up to £100! :roll: :shock: Asda and Amazon usually do the best deals on SD cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.