• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New camera recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Sorry if this has been done before..........

I am looking for a good quality compact or bridge camera and be glad of some recommendations.

I want one to photograph moving subjects in poor light so should ideally have a low light capability / high ISO setting.

I would also prefer a good optical zoom range but not bothered about a video option.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Try the used markets, low shutter clicks, you can find some amazing bargains, I recently bought a Nikon D810 3000 shutters, no box but mint condition for £1500

ac6000cw

Established Member
If good low-light performance and a compact form-factor is important, take a look at the Panasonic TZ100 - a large (for a compact) 1" image sensor, an LCD screen and (small) EVF. Its bridge camera equivalent is the (much larger) FZ1000. If you want a faster (larger aperture) lens in a compact body then look at the LX15 or the older LX100 (I have one of those, which I really like), but you'll sacrifice zoom range to get it...

Canon and Sony also have ranges of 1" sensor compacts and bridge cameras (for Sony it's the various RX100 and RX10 versions).

But note that all of the above are heading into the price range of a whole raft of good interchangeable lens cameras with even larger sensors, which you also ought to consider if low-light performance is paramount.

83G/84D

Established Member
I have a Canon DSLR but it is heavy and bulky to carry around so looking for something a bit easier to carry around.

Most of my photos are taken outdoors so want something with a capability of coping with variable weather conditions.

83G/84D

Established Member
I chose the Canon G7X Mk2 in the end. I have had it about a week now and pleased with it, well built and versatile camera with plenty of useful features.

Status
Not open for further replies.