• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

Morning all.

After working hard over the last month, which means lots of money, I've decided that I would like to buy a new camera.

Looking at the photography section, this is clearly the place to ask about them, so I'm asking for your help. :)

My budget is about £150, as that leaves room for a memory card (if needed) and any accessory/s that I could buy. Its for general use, as well as photting trains, and would be good if it had video recording as well. Ideally 5MP or more, otherwise it defeats the point of buying a new one.

Also, I have been having a look at this for a while now, and would like to know what people think - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...1.Photography>C$cip=36810.Digital+cameras.htm

Any help much appreciated.

David :)

P.S. I am actually going to be buying one (hopefully), as soon as next week, so anything really is much appreciated! :mrgreen:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
There was a similar thread a few days ago. I'd go with the Fuji S5600 if you can stretch your budget a bit.

Dave A

Hmm, looks like a great camera, but I'm really trying to avoid Sony's, just purely because of the cost of the Memory Sticks alone! :(

Craig

Established Member
Joe H said:
Remember megapixels don't matter. We've just got a 10 megapixel Casio compact in and the pictures are crap.
Megapixels do matter, you could put a great lens onto a 1MP camera and you'd still get a crap photo.

Also the W50 only has a 3x zoom which won't help the image quality. Personally I would go for the S5600 as that gives you more control over the camera settings - this is the key to taking a good photo.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joe H said:
If you had read the first post, David said his budget was £150. I based my recommendation on this.

I refer you to
Craig said:
I'd go with the Fuji S5600 if you can stretch your budget a bit.
;)

I've just done a quick search and it would appear that you can pick up a S5600 for about an extra 30 quid.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lewisham2221 said:
I refer you to ;)

I've just done a quick search and it would appear that you can pick up a S5600 for about an extra 30 quid.

I got mine for about £180
[EDIT]
Joe H said:
I sell cameras
Arnt you just on work experience ;)

Craig

Established Member
Joe H said:
If you had read the first post, David said his budget was £150. I based my recommendation on this.
A quick look on Google shows the cheapest price for a W50 at £160. The cheapest price for a S5600 is £170. It wouldn't be that hard to wait a bit longer and save an extra tenner, or shop around a bit.

Joe H said:
all the pictures on my site are a bit less than 1mp. Does the quality look bad on them?
I'd need to look at an unedited photo from each camera to make a fair comparison.

Joe H said:
And how on earth does the amount of zoom affect picture quality?
Zoom lenses generally work better mid-range. The W50 has a shorter zoom than the S5600 so you'd be more likely to be using the top end of the zoom range. Look on Google if you want a more technical answer.

Joe H said:
You're saying all of Sony's compacts take crap pictures?
Did I?

Joe H said:
I think you need to do some serious reading up on how cameras work.
And doing a bit of work experience in a shop makes you an expert, does it?

Dave A

If I really wanted to, I'd spend £350 on a camera, which would still leave enough for my expenses for the next month, plus a bit to put away. :p ;)

However, I cannot justify spending any-more than £150 on the camera, plus a maximum of £50 on extras. I just need a camera that will take decent pics, nothing special, and doing a bit of research of my own, have found that most decent cameras are in the range of £150, give or take. So thats where the £150 has come from.

Craig, I did have a look at this camera in the other thread and have found nothing but great reviews on it, so thank you for your help. IF I can justify spending the extra £30, I will, but for now I am just hoping to find something that is the same for about £150.

Joe H, I had a look it this Sony camera when I went out today and must say that I didn't like it. It seemed very fiddily and I felt that If I dropped it, it would have no chance at all, where bigger (not too bigger much mind you) cameras MAY have a better chance of survival. However, the ease of use and picture quality was outstanding, and would buy it if it wasn't for what I just said. :)

Thanks for all your help so far, and please keep it coming :)

ChrisM

Personally i would spend the extra on the Fuji S5600 as it's money well spent.
It's a great camera and one you can do so much with and is a great learning tool.
As for zoom and quailty then the longer you zoom out the worst picture quailty will become, more if it's a moving subject.
Remember though that a shop is good for handling and weighing up your options but i would never buy from a shop as most know sod all unless it's a 'proper' good old fashioned camera shop, most just want a sale.
Online prices are almost always cheaper and 'pricerunner' is a good place to compare prices.
Memory is as cheap as chips nowadays again online rather then the high street (i got a 1gb sd card for under £20 online, Jessops price £79.99) and it's always best to have two smaller cards then just one bigger card.

Status
Not open for further replies.