• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Chiltern Railways Branding

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
I really don't see the point of the 'Abellio' name being included in the logo. Abellio isn't a brand and is of no interest to people.
But that's how to make it a brand.
I mean, it worked with Hoover - market saturation. And now look at people calling the device a Hoover, when it's actually a vacuum cleaner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting that climbing is the other way round - the BMC has long been the representative body of climbers and climbing clubs - the sport (if you'd call it that) is only just making it into things like the Olympics.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I mean, it worked with Hoover - market saturation. And now look at people calling the device a Hoover, when it's actually a vacuum cleaner.

It's perhaps more like Nestle, P&G, Mondelez, Kraft etc shouting about their brand which was typically well hidden behind the "customer facing" product names.

Ironically Aldi do the complete opposite, making up brand names for their products to hide the fact that they are "Aldi beans" or whatever. Though the A logo does now appear on the cans which it never used to for a long time.

First have started to go that way with their rail operations and some bus operations, though that's probably to some measure because (unlike Aldi) their brand has become rather toxic in some circles, to some measure due to poor decisions made under the previous senior management.

takno

Established Member
It's a gutsy move to take a fairly popular local brand and dilute it with a meaningless 90s corporate non-name. Definitely not the way the wider industry is going.

aylesbury

I don't mind the logo its using the colours from the bus fleet the dark blue appears on Max services so all their doing is using the same pallet of colours.

DenmarkRail

I really don't see the point of the 'Abellio' name being included in the logo. Abellio isn't a brand and is of no interest to people. It's like DB buying EWS and then slapping little DB logos on the front of the locos... does anyone really care who the parent company is or does it give any benefit?...certainly not the brand, given that EWS locos operate in the UK and DB is a German compay.

DB Cargo, isn't just Germany... It is global... As far as China. I'd personally like it if they branded all their operations DB Regio UK (BRAND NAME)

jon0844

Veteran Member

It'll be a while before I start saying I'm going to take an Arriva to get to work.

HowardGWR

Established Member
It'll be a while before I start saying I'm going to take an Arriva to get to work.
Though you could shout to the train dispatch staff 'arriba, arriva' (well, if you were a mouse called Speedy Gonzalez).

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
DB Cargo, isn't just Germany... It is global... As far as China. I'd personally like it if they branded all their operations DB Regio UK (BRAND NAME)

I wouldn't mind "CHILTERN [DB]", "CYMRU [DB]" etc, with the red livery, it really suits the Turbostar/Electrostar body shape. But it's more likely they'll flog Arriva off now, I reckon, not sure who to though.

I have never read anything about how it was received back in 1935. It was clearly an attempt to break free of the deeply conservative (or indeed Conservative) County Set image of the GWR. I would have liked the present TOC to have gone back to the 'crest' and indeed that would look rather good along the sides of the coaches. Of course brown and cream would be even better. :)

John Betjeman's 1952 essay "London Railway Stations" contains the following:

'The only time the Great Western went in for Classic in a big way was when it employed Philip Charles Hardwick to design the Paddington Hotel in the 'sixties. The dining room with its curving caryatids, probably by John Thomas, was almost up to the standard of Euston's Graeco-Roman office buildings. Just before the Hitler war this dining room, or "Coffee Room" as it was called, was ruined by being streamlined with plywood in a jazz-modern manner, so that it is now like any semi-smart new restaurant...

'... There was an unfortunate period in the nineteen-thirties when the Great-Western went "Modern" in the Great West Road sense of the word, with its new office buildings at Paddington. It adopted at this time too that hideous monogram on its engines. When Paddington Station was rebuilt the company employed Digby Wyatt on architectural effects.'

DenmarkRail

I wouldn't mind "CHILTERN [DB]", "CYMRU [DB]" etc, with the red livery, it really suits the Turbostar/Electrostar body shape. But it's more likely they'll flog Arriva off now, I reckon, not sure who to though.

Doubt they'd flog all of Arriva... They had to get rid of quite a lot of German ops, when they brought them out, so they'd be loosing out to their competition... I can see them flogging the buses maybe, and the brand 'Arriva' but would expect they'd want to keep the railway side, to effectivly gas the competion... Not so much in England, but in Denmark, and the Netherlands, where the gained network, made up for the lost German network when they brought Arriva.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
John Betjeman's 1952 essay "London Railway Stations" contains the following:

'The only time the Great Western went in for Classic in a big way was when it employed Philip Charles Hardwick to design the Paddington Hotel in the 'sixties. The dining room with its curving caryatids, probably by John Thomas, was almost up to the standard of Euston's Graeco-Roman office buildings. Just before the Hitler war this dining room, or "Coffee Room" as it was called, was ruined by being streamlined with plywood in a jazz-modern manner, so that it is now like any semi-smart new restaurant...

'... There was an unfortunate period in the nineteen-thirties when the Great-Western went "Modern" in the Great West Road sense of the word, with its new office buildings at Paddington. It adopted at this time too that hideous monogram on its engines. When Paddington Station was rebuilt the company employed Digby Wyatt on architectural effects.'

Interesting, thanks for that.

spuddie

Apparently they considered 'Chiltern Arriva Railways', but the abbreviation would send entirly the wrong message in terms of encouraging people not to drive ...

They also considered Chiltern Railways Arriva Plc but that caused a problem too! :lol:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Ye gods, that's terrible.

The version of the logo used on the new website is "Chilternrailways". So the actual brand, not just the presentation, differs depending on the logo used.

Meanwhile the body text is "Chiltern Railways" everywhere. Given that the logo font size is barely bigger than the body text...

telstarbox

Established Member
I agree. We now know that it's been plagiarized from Birmingham Airport and some 'image consultants' have probably been paid a million quid for doing it!

Very hard to prove. At my work we once came across another company in the same sector whose logo and website looked uncannily similar to ours - but there are only so many colours and fonts, and most businesses in our field are fairly conservative, so...

MG11

It looks OK, but they should really add capital letters! The lower case 'n' on the Northern logo is another one of my pet hates.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I really dislike the new logo. Wrong font, wrong capitalisation, wrong colours. Also on my (work) computer the journey planner doesn't work at all as the red 'Buy tickets' button on the homepage does nothing when clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.