New Class 93 (not IC250)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by CosherB, 29 Aug 2018.

1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Yes, I saw it at Euston last night. About 30 seconds including opening the gangway doors for passenger use.

Cleaning the sick off a seat took a lot longer :(

2. 43096

43096 Established Member

I’m not sure we needed to know that...

3. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

In the UK, waggon development stagnated for a long time because of the widespread phenomenom of private goods waggons: The railways didn't own most of the freight waggons they were hauling.

4. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

Still no further confirmation, information is a bit thin on the ground with this one.

5. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

I'm beginning to think this was wishful thinking from some freight/toc company as it's all gone quiet on this front!

6. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

More info on the Class 93 locos in the latest issue of RAIL which is already available digitally (physical edition on Wednesday 19/12/18). Ian Prosser tweeted an image of the cover on twitter which shows a concept image: https://twitter.com/IanProsser7/status/1073871292808523776
    The piece on these is based on an interview with Rail Operations Group's CEO - Karl Watts. First one is expected in August 2020. Initial order of 10 with an option for 10 more.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2018
  7. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

So, a bit of progress, and an option for a further 10! Just a concept design at the moment, I reckon it will look pretty similar to the EuroDual they displayed at Innotrans. Now to find out in March what DRS have planned! I doubt very much this 93 will be seen up here in Edinburgh much, if at all!

8. MikePJ

MikePJ Member

Another piece from RAIL here - https://www.railmagazine.com/news/n...s-fuels-its-ambitions-with-tri-mode-class-93s

My guess based on that is that it's effectively an 88 with more power output on diesel. One of the benefits of having a battery pack is that you can deliver a big burst of power to the traction motors when the train starts from a stand, so it ought to deliver much better performance that its engine size might otherwise suggest. Lithium titanate oxide is used in some electric cars, and recharges very quickly compared with some other battery chemistries, so ideal for a hybrid setup where you want to discharge the battery as you start moving and then recharge it once you reach a cruising speed.

9. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Many thanks for the update. :smile: Not much of a guess, though, when it's specifically stated in the article (Unless more detail's been added in the past couple of minutes?):

10. MikePJ

MikePJ Member

I haven't had my morning coffee yet... so I must have missed that last sentence... oops!

11. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    A big investment and change in direction by ROG's they must be confident of winning further work.

12. sprinterguy

No worries, happens to us all. :smile:

13. themiller

themiller Member

Not only that but they’ve also reserved numbers up to 93050 according to the article (last paragraph)!

14. absolutelymilk

absolutelymilk Established Member

Assuming you mean the last paragraph of the full article rather than the one posted online?

15. themiller

themiller Member

Yes. The article in Rail not the post online.

16. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

Bigger cooling system equates to a longer bodyshell, somehow I think the design may well differ slightly from that of an 88.

17. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

Will it be Bo-Bo, or possibly Co-Co to keep the axle weight down? I know Stadler were very insistent that adhesion alone was never a reason to go with Co-Co, but there is a lot more equipment on this one.

18. sprinterguy

It's clearly shown as a Bo-Bo in the side profile mock-up in the RAIL article linked above.

19. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

The initial concept drawing is a Bo-Bo but when you consider all the gubbins inside, the length etc may determine other.

20. TRAX

TRAX Member

If you look at European locomotives, most are Bo’Bo’, even some of the most powerful ones.

21. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

I believe continental railways have less strict axle loading restrictions, however.

22. 43096

43096 Established Member

Although the Stadler electro-diesels that they are building (with CAT C175-16 engines, similar to Class 68) are Co-Co.

23. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

Yes, I was going to mention such things as UK loading gauge etc could determine along with other factors the design of the 93, adding a battery and extra cooling equipment in a uk scale locomotive would require a different bodyshell design in this case. The "Platform concept" on which it is designed from, loans much from the 88, but it won't necessarily look like a 68/88. I would imagine it would look quite similar to the new EuroDual.

24. GrimShady

GrimShady Established Member

Any particular reason why articulated bi mode locos haven't caught on especially in the UK with limited gauges and axle weights?

25. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Someone might know why! The closest we've come is probably the class 20s which tended to work in pairs coupled nose-to-nose.

26. gingertom

gingertom Member

Spec for the 93 has a top speed of 110mph, just wondering if an opportunity has been missed? A 125mph-capable unit could be very handy.....

27. 43096

43096 Established Member

Handy for what, though?

28. gsnedders

gsnedders Established Member

And especially with the weight of transformers, diesel engine, and batteries would it not run into the same problem as the Class 67s of being uneconomical to run at that speed given axle loadings and resultant track access charges?

29. gingertom

gingertom Member

MML or XC for a start.

30. CosherB

CosherB On Moderation

Why is there a number of people that think LHCS is going to make a comeback, when the evidence shows the complete opposite? And before some smart alec quotes TPE Mk5s at the, the only reason they were procured was reduced delivery timescales, and look where that has ended up!

MML will eventually get a fleet of bimodes to replace the Meridians and derogated-HSTs while XC will be lucky to get anything at all in the short to medium term, apart from some more HSTs.