• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Clee incident - fare dodgers ejected from train, brick train, train cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
From the Grimsby Telegraph :

Trains cancelled after youths 'go onto tracks' and attack carriage with rocks
The youths attacked a train at New Clee Station.

Three youths forced trains from Cleethorpes to Barton to be cancelled after they got onto the tracks and attacked a train with rocks, smashing windows and causing the driver to make an emergency stop

British Transport Police were called to Cleethorpes Train Station just after 5pm today, after the train to Barton was attacked by a group of youths who had got off the train at New Clee Station.

The youths, who are thought to be aged between 11 and 15, moved in front of the train as it began to leave the station, and picked up rocks from the tracks and threw them at the carriage, smashing a window and forcing the driver to make an emergency stop.

The driver of train said that he could have been "killed or blinded" due to the actions of the youths, and he had suffered a neck injury from being forced to make the emergency stop.

He said: "I am lucky that I wasn't killed or blinded by these kids, one of these days a driver is going to get very badly hurt.

"We asked them to leave the train because they didn't have a ticket, and then when they did they got out onto the tracks and started to pick up stones before throwing them at the carriage.

"One of the rocks was lucky to not go through my window, and smashed through the one directly behind me.

"We have seen these youths at the train station before causing trouble, and we are aware who they are."

Two of the youths have been described as wearing dark track suits with baseball gaps, while the third was wearing a grey track suit.

A British Transport Police spokesperson said: "We were called to an incident at New Clee Train Station following reports of youths attacking one of the trains.

"Three youths that got on the train at Cleethorpes Station had left the train at New Clee Station and began throwing rocks at the train and vandalising it.

"This has forced a number of the trains to be cancelled.

"We would like anyone with any information regarding the incident to contact us on non-emergency number 0800 405040 quoting log number 491."

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/trains-cancelled-after-youths-go-1606539

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plymothian

You can bet the guard has now got in to trouble for ejecting fare evaders and now causing delay and cancellation; no wonder some guards don't care about tickets.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Difficult to predict what is going to happen in these situations. I wonder if the train crew considered letting the lads stay on the train and arranging a BTP greeting for when they arrived at Grimsby Town, where there is BTP office?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Grimsby Telegraph said:
Three youths forced trains from Cleethorpes to Barton to be cancelled after they got onto the tracks and attacked a train with rocks, smashing windows and causing the driver to make an emergency stop...
Evidently a serious failing by their parents then. Hope the cretins are caught and punished.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. It’s grim oop north.

As reported by the Grimsby Telegraph.

See what I did there?

I’ll get my coat.

Parallel

Established Member
Evidently a serious failing by their parents then. Hope the cretins are caught and punished.
One thing I’ve observed is with children in situations like this, usually the parents aren’t any better...

_toommm_

Established Member
Believe it was 153324 - it's parked up in Doncaster West Yard and it looks like the window of the door on the small cab side is broken.

The picture isn't very clear as it was quite far away but ya know. You can just about see the shattered window just to the right of the Pacer.

20180526_073355.jpg

al78

Established Member

Possibly but not certain. We know nothing about their parents or parenting efforts, so can't judge.

I'm surprised no-one has pulled out the mentally ill cliche, which seems to be popular when dreadful acts are committed.

Boothby97

Established Member
Believe it was 153324 - it's parked up in Doncaster West Yard and it looks like the window of the door on the small cab side is broken.

The picture isn't very clear as it was quite far away but ya know. You can just about see the shattered window just to the right of the Pacer.

View attachment 47299

I can confirm that was the unit involved, not only had it been on the Barton line for a few days running, but I was also onboard when the incident took place. Just hoping the three individuals get caught!

Antman

Established Member
Difficult to predict what is going to happen in these situations. I wonder if the train crew considered letting the lads stay on the train and arranging a BTP greeting for when they arrived at Grimsby Town, where there is BTP office?

BTP can't possibly get to every fare dodging incident and it's unlikely to be a top priority for local police, obviously this incident turned into something far more serious. Hopefully the idiots responsible will soon be caught.

XDM

You can bet the guard has now got in to trouble for ejecting fare evaders and now causing delay and cancellation; no wonder some guards don't care about tickets.

I don't understand this comment.
Providing he did not use force or insulting language the guard would have been commended by his guard manager, & maybe higher up too.

As the effort to get guards to be more customer facing by sparing them the job of bouncing in & out of the train to be doorkeepers shows, TOCs are very keen on getting "guards' to do their main job, help the passengers & collect revenue. Firmly asking non payers to leave politely is part of that task.
Is the poster a guard who does not like passenger duties?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
BTP can't possibly get to every fare dodging incident and it's unlikely to be a top priority for local police, obviously this incident turned into something far more serious. Hopefully the idiots responsible will soon be caught.

Here, it has been said that the lads were causing trouble a Cleethorpes station beforehand. And I imagine that the conversation on the train didn't end with something like "Sorry Mister, we haven't got enough money for the tickets. We'll get off at the next station". Maybe Boothby97 can fill us in with some details?! If BTP were available at Grimsby Town, then a talking-to from them may have been of some benefit to the lads and it would have stopped the train getting smashed up. Ignoring low-level crime as "not a priority" isn't really an excuse as, shown in this case, it can easily escalate to something worse.

Antman

Established Member
Here, it has been said that the lads were causing trouble a Cleethorpes station beforehand. And I imagine that the conversation on the train didn't end with something like "Sorry Mister, we haven't got enough money for the tickets. We'll get off at the next station". Maybe Boothby97 can fill us in with some details?! If BTP were available at Grimsby Town, then a talking-to from them may have been of some benefit to the lads and it would have stopped the train getting smashed up. Ignoring low-level crime as "not a priority" isn't really an excuse as, shown in this case, it can easily escalate to something worse.

In an ideal world yes but if BTP aren't available and the local force are busy, nobody could have reasonably foreseen what would happen when they got off the train.

Boothby97

Established Member

To be quite honest I didn't take notice of them until they alighted at New Clee and then threw the bricks at the train as we departed. I only boarded the train 3 or 4 minutes before departure, so can't say wether something had occurred before departure. I know that from bits I've seen elsewhere, the group were known to have caused trouble at Cleethorpes before.
The group were sat at the rear of the train, whilst I was sat at the front, although I didn't actually hear anything being said between them and the conductor on the short duration of the journey.

175mph

On Moderation
Was any alternative transport arranged because of the cancellation at any time?

Boothby97

Established Member
Was any alternative transport arranged because of the cancellation at any time?

I’m not sure what other arrangements were made, certainly the next two Barton services were replaced by buses. A replacement unit being sourced for the last service of the day.

I didn’t wait around, luckily I was only making the short journey to Grimsby Town so walked to the nearest bus stop and continued my journey by bus.

randyrippley

Established Member
Happened to a local Stagecoach bus......
Local gypsy kids (mid teens) were refused a free ride to the caravan park half a mile away: they claimed no money between the four of them, and it wasn't on the route anyway.
Kids stoned the bus and broke windows, so the driver stopped.
Irate passengers got off, caught two of the gloating kids and explained/demonstrated non-verbally why they shouldn't do such things again.
Lesson given, passengers got on and bus drove off, driver phoning the depot asking for an exchange. Don't think there's been a repeat from that gypsy camp since.

175mph

On Moderation
Happened to a local Stagecoach bus......
Local gypsy kids (mid teens) were refused a free ride to the caravan park half a mile away: they claimed no money between the four of them, and it wasn't on the route anyway.
Kids stoned the bus and broke windows, so the driver stopped.
Irate passengers got off, caught two of the gloating kids and explained/demonstrated non-verbally why they shouldn't do such things again.
Lesson given, passengers got on and bus drove off, driver phoning the depot asking for an exchange. Don't think there's been a repeat from that gypsy camp since.
I would have thought the driver would have made the passengers get off due to safety issues, it's what the Stagecoach drivers do here in Scunthorpe whenever the windows get broken, even if it's the last bus of the night, leaving the passengers a long way from their intended destination.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
One thing I’ve observed is with children in situations like this, usually the parents aren’t any better...

The parents should be forced to, not only fork out for replacement glass, but also install the replacement windows on behalf of the TOC - the parents might think twice if they're sprogs attempted to do it again.

I recall one incident from a few weeks back where a class 158 that I was on was attacked by some lass who had bailed over the fence near Eastgate in Leeds. Luckily none of the windows were broken but a few passengers were recording it should it have escalated.

Antman

Established Member
I would have thought the driver would have made the passengers get off due to safety issues, it's what the Stagecoach drivers do here in Scunthorpe whenever the windows get broken, even if it's the last bus of the night, leaving the passengers a long way from their intended destination.

Surely the driver and the operator have a duty of care? You can't just turf everyone off the last bus or train and leave them stranded. I've been on a train with a broken that continued in service.

175mph

On Moderation
Surely the driver and the operator have a duty of care? You can't just turf everyone off the last bus or train and leave them stranded. I've been on a train with a broken that continued in service.
Too many of the Stagecoach drivers here have the 'not my problem' attitude although have said this there are one or two who would actually do their utmost not to leave you stranded.

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Surely they have a duty of care to other passengers to move them away from any incident to a place of safety.

If that leaves the brick chuckers stranded in the rain in the dark - my heart bleeds!

otomous

Too many of the Stagecoach drivers here have the 'not my problem' attitude although have said this there are one or two who would actually do their utmost not to leave you stranded.

And there you have it. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Principles of transport management:

1 Front line is never right
2 Management is never wrong
3 One could or should have always done something else to maintain the relationship between 1 and 2
4 Never explain
5 Never apologise
6 Blame front line wherever possible, however tenuous the chain is.

175mph

On Moderation
Surely they have a duty of care to other passengers to move them away from any incident to a place of safety.

If that leaves the brick chuckers stranded in the rain in the dark - my heart bleeds!
Well, when it happened last year, the driver (albeit reluctantly) continued further up to a stop three stops away from the incident which was as near to my destination as they could drop me off at as I wanted a Tesco store and the nearest they could drop me off at, I only had a five minute walk. (Go on Google Maps and type Bolsover Road, Scunthorpe to see where I meant). Normally after looping around those three roads it turns left at the roundabout to go to Tesco, then turns round, goes back to the Scotter Road roundabout then up Doncaster Road. But after the brick incident he dropped me off on Bolsover Road as I said reluctantly and then went straight back up Doncaster Road out of service instead of serving Tesco.

Status
Not open for further replies.