• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquarePeg

I think I answered them all, but I reckon there was a couple I was probably unsure of so just guessed.
To be honest it was so long ago now and it was all a bit blurry

Fair enough, I’ll just have to wait and see now. It’s done and dusted and whether I progress or not, I’ve had a go and gained experience. Thanks and good luck again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LS.CYMRU

Fair enough, I’ll just have to wait and see now. It’s done and dusted and whether I progress or not, I’ve had a go and gained experience. Thanks and good luck again.

Cheers mate, Just keep going and I'm sure it'll happen for you

Pintpuller

Hi, im sorry to hear you may not have done well, but you never know , how long did the test last ? Was the scatt shapes or letters? Im totally scared of doing it , I am rubbish with these tests, plus it annoys me that someone could be brill at the job but doing a test sends there nerves crazy hence then blowing your chances Oh well ,fingers crossed for you square peg :)

SquarePeg

Touch wood, but I’d be amazed!

The general ability one was 8 mins I think. It’s not too bad, make sure you are happy with working out percentages and how to do those picture sequence questions and you’ll be fine. There are some verbal ones in there that involve reading a passage of text and giving the appropriate answer. Again, pretty straightforward and the practices you get to do are a good indicator of what is expected.

The Mini SCAAT is fine, it’s letters not symbols. There are 3 parts to the test and the practices you get to do give you a really good idea of what you’re dealing with. Don’t worry about it all too much, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Just make sure you’ve got peace and quiet, no distractions and that you’re happy with all the practices. From memory you can still exit after doing the practice, so if you think you need to brush up on anything after that you still can.

Good luck with everything!

Pintpuller

Well I've just done my two tests , I was the same as square peg , I answered 10 out of 12 but picture sequence ones I screwed up and took two much time , the mini scatt was ok but obviously I didn't complete all of them as the blocks were huge lol, so at least I know what to expect for next time f I ever get this far next time , I'm a bit disappointed with myself but I was never good at maths so I wasn't holding my breath but I would have loved the job hey ho :(

SquarePeg

It was pretty tough wasn’t it! Hopefully we’ve both done better than we think. Guessing we’ll hear soon if successful as telephone interviews are scheduled for a week tomorrow and a week Friday. If nothing is received this week, I’m assuming it’s game over and the better luck next time email will be received early next week! All the best and good luck.

LS.CYMRU

Just had a phone call to ask me if I would like to accept a conductor role. With the Training course starting 29th October.
Trouble is I've recently accepted an offer to transfer to Cardiff with my job for Network rail.

Got a big decision to make I think

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It is a tough choice, I’d weight up:

A) salary between the two.
B) Time to travel to work.
C) parking at the place of work (no staff Parking with ATW at Cardiff - you have to pay.
D) job security (potential DOO on the valleys).
E) future, what are your plans.

Personally depending on the job with network rail I’d go for them, much wider field of future career progression that ATW.

LS.CYMRU

It is a tough choice, I’d weight up:

A) salary between the two.
B) Time to travel to work.
C) parking at the place of work (no staff Parking with ATW at Cardiff - you have to pay.
D) job security (potential DOO on the valleys).
E) future, what are your plans.

Personally depending on the job with network rail I’d go for them, much wider field of future career progression that ATW.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply
The job with Network rail is Signalling and telecom's which is what I've been doing for 4 years. The progression available is good (although I am taking a backwards step to secure a move back to Wales)
What is DOO on the valleys out of interest?

At the moment I'm swinging towards Network Rail but I put so much effort into ATW it feels like a waste to say no

JetStream

Hi Tom

What is DOO on the valleys out of interest?

There's no guarantee (I believe) that guards will retain their exact role on the new Valley Metro - truth be told, no one (maybe not even Keolis and WAG) know what's going to happen, so there's a risk the position goes down a customer service route, rather than a safety one.

LS.CYMRU

There's no guarantee (I believe) that guards will retain their exact role on the new Valley Metro - truth be told, no one (maybe not even Keolis and WAG) know what's going to happen, so there's a risk the position goes down a customer service route, rather than a safety one.

I see. Thanks for that!
I just spoke to Arriva and told them that at the moment I'm not really in a position to accept it as my life is up in the air right now.
I've asked to go back into the pool and hopefully next time (if there is a next time) I'll already be in Cardiff and in a better position to make my decision.

Good luck to anyone else awaiting a call

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The new franchise with Wales & Borders only assures guards on heavy rail/mainline services. There is a huge question mark over the future of crew on the valley lines, which I’d assume all Cardiff Jobs will be on as mainline work is on progression from the separate valley depot at Cardiff.

I’m with NWR at Cardiff to, you’ll know all that is on offer at our firm.

The “risk” for me would be a forced transfer from secure NWR employment to the wholly unknown of Transport for Wales should you go with ATW.

There’s a masssive black hole of uncertainty around the future of the valley lines for both Wales & Bordera staff and NWR staff who are employed to work on the valleys.

As it stands you’ve career long job security with a solid pension, personally I wouldn’t want to risk that.

Maybe in 5 years when things have settled down, but not at the moment.

Lynette Hill

I've had a missed call and email to ring about starting the next course. I've also started work with a new employer so undecided. Have they given date's for the medical yet?
Lynette

LS.CYMRU

I've had a missed call and email to ring about starting the next course. I've also started work with a new employer so undecided. Have they given date's for the medical yet?
Lynette

Sorry for the delayed response

I believe if I had said yes the medical would have been this week or next week

Lynette Hill

I was offered a start but I am in the middle of training for my new job (I knew this would happen) so feel obliged to stay atm. Gone back in the talent pool for the next recruitment. Hopefully, by then we will have more of an idea how the new company are doing.

Freshquick

Good evening!

So i applied for a Trainee Conductor role at Cardiff depot in December 2018. I received an email on October 29, 2019 saying there'd be an online SCAAT test on 31st October - 3rd November. Received no link for anything. Then received a further email from the same lady on 6 November stating "following the successful completion of the online concentration test we would like to invite you to a verification of this test" on Tuesday 12 November. Very strange. I'm going to go to the assessment of course, but wondering now if i'm going to be a bit blindsided. Anyone had the same experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.