• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
Yeah Cardiff valley lines, out of interest do you know where the actual depot is?

As regards the depot I'm not sure I'm based at Crewe so not sure where they book on for Valleys? Sure someone on here will know though mate?

Depot is inside St David's House, across the road from the building site next door to Cardiff Central. If you do training in Cardiff you'll probably visit it given that's done in the same building.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LS.CYMRU

Depot is inside St David's House, across the road from the building site next door to Cardiff Central. If you do training in Cardiff you'll probably visit it given that's done in the same building.

Thanks mate.
I’m a bit worried I won’t even get that far as they still haven’t sent me the 2nd test, and the deadline is 11pm tonight

JetStream

Thanks mate.
I’m a bit worried I won’t even get that far as they still haven’t sent me the 2nd test, and the deadline is 11pm tonight

Might be a silly question, but have you checked your spam/bin folder?

LS.CYMRU

Might be a silly question, but have you checked your spam/bin folder?

I’ve checked and unfortunately not there either. Appears it just hasn’t been sent to me.
It’s weird because I had the mini SCAAT straight away.
I’ve tried phoning the company but they’re not there on weekends

cymrulass

I’ve checked and unfortunately not there either. Appears it just hasn’t been sent to me.
It’s weird because I had the mini SCAAT straight away.
I’ve tried phoning the company but they’re not there on weekends

I received my mini SCATT test first, and then my SHL about an hour later on Wednesday. I then had a reminder email everyday to complete it. First time iv applied for this role although have been considering it for awhile, but didn't know what to expect. Just waiting to hear back from the assessment now to see if it made it through to the telephone interviews that are scheduled for the 16th. Im keeping my fingers and toes crossed! There was a number and contact on the initial email i think if you incurred any issues...did you manage to resolve it?

cymrulass

They didn't recruit for Chester this time which seems odd as that's the depot everyone's expecting vacancies to come up at (although there are a few guards waiting on internal transfers) so you might be lucky and see an advert coming up for there in the not too distant future - but the other depots the vacancies they've just advertised for were to fill a talent pool so it might be a while until they appear again.

Sorry to interrupt on this thread, i hope you dont mind i have just applied for the Cardiff Trainee Conductor vacancy and noticed you said its for a talent pool...can i just how that tends to work? If successful in the process does that mean you definitely have a job? Or is it a case of waiting to be ' 'called up' as such? This is my first time actually applying for the role so not completely sure how the process works...thanks in advance for any help!

LS.CYMRU

I received my mini SCATT test first, and then my SHL about an hour later on Wednesday. I then had a reminder email everyday to complete it. First time iv applied for this role although have been considering it for awhile, but didn't know what to expect. Just waiting to hear back from the assessment now to see if it made it through to the telephone interviews that are scheduled for the 16th. Im keeping my fingers and toes crossed! There was a number and contact on the initial email i think if you incurred any issues...did you manage to resolve it?

Hi cymrulass

It's my first application also. I received the link to the mini SCAAT straight away but as I was nights I didn't end up completing it until the weekend, I falsely presumed that once completed the general ability test would follow.
For whatever reason the test never showed up, but I've since spoken to arriva and they've allowed me until tonight to complete.

Just waiting on the link to be sent to be before 11am.

Good luck with your results and keep us posted.

cymrulass

Thats great news! I thought the general ability test was farely straight forward, i focused on looking at numeric tests before hand but the test itself was a mixture and nowhere near as difficult as the practise ones id been doing. Good luck with it and the same to you - will keep you posted on how i get on :) fingers crossed it will be good news on both accounts!

craigybagel

Established Member
Sorry to interrupt on this thread, i hope you dont mind i have just applied for the Cardiff Trainee Conductor vacancy and noticed you said its for a talent pool...can i just how that tends to work? If successful in the process does that mean you definitely have a job? Or is it a case of waiting to be ' 'called up' as such? This is my first time actually applying for the role so not completely sure how the process works...thanks in advance for any help!

No need to apologise, happy to help!

There's no definite answers though I'm afraid - usually what happens is they recruit both for vacancies now and for the near future. They'll take on a certain amount who will get jobs straight away, and they'll take on a certain amount more who will go in to the talent pool. Whenever more vacancies come up and they have enough to run another training course, rather then re-advertising they'll offer the jobs to the people waiting in the talent pool.

Both Spikeylado and myself went through the talent pool so it's definitely not a bad thing! The amount of time you'll spend in it varies and there's no guarantee of a job at the end, but it's still a lot better then a no.

TeaTrain

I can also vouch with Craigybagel on the subject of a Talent Pool. I was put into one and had to wait for one year but still got the job in the end.

Don't be discouraged by the 'talent pool' and still give it a go!

LS.CYMRU

Hi everyone,

Been a busy day but finally managed to complete the general ability test around half 2 this afternoon.
In the end it turned out that outlook decided to block all emails from SHL (the company operating the test) so it wasn't getting through to me.
Also when I finally managed to access the test apparently my operating system wasn't up to scratch, which meant a trip to the library computer.

It's done now anyway and hopefully the extra effort was worth it!

cymrulass

@craigybagel @TeaTrain that all sounds positive! I just wanted an idea of how it worked or what i could expect if successful. If i make it through to the talent pool id be incredibly happy with that...better than not making it that far! :smile: thanks for the advice and feedback, iv been reading through these feeds and they have been hugely helpful so far!

@LS.CYMRU glad you managed to sort it! Im sure all the effort it will be worth it in the long term, at least your showing commitment! Lol

Im currently refreshing the application tracker and my emails every half an hour... Its the not knowing and having to wait part i hate! Ah well, fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone for the help so far, again...very much appreciated :smile:

TeaTrain

I know Cymrulass the waiting is the worst! I should know better but I also am checking my inbox and updates way to much. Waiting for the driver interview for Northern and its killing me!

cymrulass

Haha glad its not just me then :) im lucky if i check my emails once a week normally!

And good luck! Have you got a date you should have heard by? Il keep my fingers and toes crossed for is both and hope for some good news soon!

Random question, do you have to have perfect eyesight to be a train driver or is wearing glasses allowed? I was told the other day unless your eyesight is more or less perfect you wouldn't be allowed to apply...apologies if that's a ridiculous thing to ask! (I really am very new to the railway world!) :)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Haha glad its not just me then :) im lucky if i check my emails once a week normally!

And good luck! Have you got a date you should have heard by? Il keep my fingers and toes crossed for is both and hope for some good news soon!

Random question, do you have to have perfect eyesight to be a train driver or is wearing glasses allowed? I was told the other day unless your eyesight is more or less perfect you wouldn't be allowed to apply...apologies if that's a ridiculous thing to ask! (I really am very new to the railway world!) :)

Many many many drivers wear glasses. As to whether there is a minimum level of uncorrected sight I do not know.

cymrulass

Thanks tiptoptaff... As a wearer of glasses it did make me wonder if it would be an issue for me going for any of these positions. I think il save any questions from here going forward!

And i have just received an email to say i successfully passed the assessment stage and that my telephone interview will be on Tuesday :D such a relief to finally hear something!....soooo if any of you lovely people have any tips on what to expect or prepare for in the telephone interview any info or advice would be great!

Should i be learning the Cardiff valley lines in prep for it? And if so is that literally learning each route and where the train stops?

Spikeylado

Well done Cymrulass. In answer to you glasses question, when you have a medical prior to starting there is a level you have to achieve this can be done with glasses as far as I know.
My advice to you regarding the phone interview is read up as much as you can about Arriva and their history as a probable question will be "what do you know about Arriva?" After that I'm not sure as they tend to change the questions? I'm fairly sure you won't be expected to know all the stops at this point although some knowledge may be useful?

LS.CYMRU

Thanks tiptoptaff... As a wearer of glasses it did make me wonder if it would be an issue for me going for any of these positions. I think il save any questions from here going forward!

And i have just received an email to say i successfully passed the assessment stage and that my telephone interview will be on Tuesday :D such a relief to finally hear something!....soooo if any of you lovely people have any tips on what to expect or prepare for in the telephone interview any info or advice would be great!

Should i be learning the Cardiff valley lines in prep for it? And if so is that literally learning each route and where the train stops?

Congratulations Cymrulass!

Just had my email too, got mine the 16th also between 11am-12pm

TeaTrain

Congrats for getting to the next stage!!

I do have to wear glasses as I have a lazy eye but I also have passed all the tests up until now and had no problem doing the conductor role. We will see.

Well its Northern so I am not sure how long it will take. My guess is a fair few months. I heard that they conduct the Driver Manager Interview first before sending people onto the tests which might be better for me as I have passed them already.

I wouldn't learn all the stops as you wouldn't be expected to know that information now. I would however learn the main routes that ATW service and where Arriva Trains Wales fits in with the other companies operated by DB. I was asked about this. It could be different now though as its a few years back. Certainly what do you know about the company, what has interested you to the role, and I also had an example question in mine for a conductor. 'Give us a time when you gave great customer service' etc.

Keep going peeps and good luck!

LS.CYMRU

Thank you.

I'm going to try not to over think it and just read up about the company and the role.
It says the interview will be 15 minutes long so I can't imagine they'll ask too much

craigybagel

Established Member
Congratulations to those of you who've gotten through!

I can also vouch with Craigybagel on the subject of a Talent Pool. I was put into one and had to wait for one year but still got the job in the end.

Don't be discouraged by the 'talent pool' and still give it a go!

Ah yes, my apologies for forgetting you're a fellow pool escapee as well!

LS.CYMRU

Cymrulass

You probably already know but thought I'd mention you have to confirm your availability for the telephone interview by replying to the email by friday.

Good luck!

Lscymru

Lynette Hill

Hi I'm a brand new member and a first time applicant.... just found out that I have a telephone interview next week so all of your messages are really helpful. Especially the one about eyesight as I wear contacts without which I am as blind as a bat! Really nervous about the process as I never expected to get this far.
Look forward to seeing updates on this forum and wish you all the best of luck!
Lynette

Spikeylado

Well done to you all and good luck! Use your time to prepare and remember to research the company! Nothing comes easily but it really is worth the effort in the end!

Lynette Hill

Hi Guys
I'm prepping for the telephone interview tomorrow and concentrating on some background info on the company and the role of the train conductor. Has anyone recently gone through this process? The interview is only scheduled to last approx 15 mins, do you think they will cover any other topic or ask for any situation examples? Eg: why do you want to be a conductor, work for Arriva, what qualities do you have, weaknesses/strengths etc. I'd rather concentrate on the first rather than cover a wide area that may not be necessary.
Thanks in advance, Lynette

LS.CYMRU

Hi Guys
I'm prepping for the telephone interview tomorrow and concentrating on some background info on the company and the role of the train conductor. Has anyone recently gone through this process? The interview is only scheduled to last approx 15 mins, do you think they will cover any other topic or ask for any situation examples? Eg: why do you want to be a conductor, work for Arriva, what qualities do you have, weaknesses/strengths etc. I'd rather concentrate on the first rather than cover a wide area that may not be necessary.
Thanks in advance, Lynette

Hi Lynette
I'm currently doing the same, I'm mainly focusing on company history, routes (basic) and current performance etc.
Then about the job role and customer service questions

I can't imagine there'll be too much more in 15 minutes!

Lynette Hill

Thanks for your reply LS.Cymru. I've never has a telephone interview before and I'm guessing after the 'hello how are you's' are done there won't be much time for anything in depth so I presume it's to gauge how prepared you are and get an idea on how well/clearly you speak etc.... anyway this time tomorrow it will be done and dusted. ...Good Luck x

TeaTrain

Yep that should be pretty much what they will ask. As you say they will get down to the specifics if you get a proper interview. Good luck everyone and keep us updated!

sw1ller

Established Member
I can only go from my driver one for them, but they didn’t ask about a time you did this and that. They just wanted to know about me, why I’m applying, what research I’ve done and what I know about the company. Great thing about telephone interviews is, the interviewer can’t see you reading from a prepared fact sheet (just make sure you don’t sound like you’re reading from a fact sheet!)

Good luck.

cymrulass

Hi all, apologies for radio silence, have been on nights for the last week.

Thanks @LS.CYMRU for the heads up on responding to the email

I used to work in recruitment and most telephone interviews were more about sussing out how well you were able to communicate, how you came across and how clear/concise you were. Based on the feedback on here and what iv read online, iv been swatting up on the company as a whole, there's quite a few articles that have been published recently on ATWs performance and results that iv jotted down.

And iv taken a look at the valley line routes and what other routes they operate. I can't see how much more would be possible to talk about in 15 minutes, so im keeping my fingers crossed this is all they cover really.

Iv done a telephone interview before, but im definitely more nervous about this one!

Hopefully we'll all sail through this and get good news for the next stage where we begin again lol...Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.