• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS.CYMRU

Just had mine
For whatever reason I was a lot more nervous than I thought I’d be

But it’s done now

Good luck everyone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cymrulass

How do you think you got on @LS.CYMRU?
I did mine about an hour ago...had Paul and Alan i believe....they gave nothing away!

And the same, im normally fairly indifferent, but i think because i really want this one its made me really nervous.

Im really not sure how i did, answered some OK, others could have been better, id say im 50/50, leaning more towards unsuccessful!

I forgot to ask when we are likely to hear back, did they let you know?

LS.CYMRU

How do you think you got on @LS.CYMRU?
I did mine about an hour ago...had Paul and Alan i believe....they gave nothing away!

And the same, im normally fairly indifferent, but i think because i really want this one its made me really nervous.

Im really not sure how i did, answered some OK, others could have been better, id say im 50/50, leaning more towards unsuccessful!

I forgot to ask when we are likely to hear back, did they let you know?

You had two people? I had one but can’t remember her name
I was the same, I would say the content of my answers wasn’t bad but could have been better.
But as I was nervous so I spoke a bit faster than I normally would

She told me I’d find out the end of the week, going to be a tense couple of days wait!

cymrulass

You had two people? I had one but can’t remember her name
I was the same, I would say the content of my answers wasn’t bad but could have been better.
But as I was nervous so I spoke a bit faster than I normally would

She told me I’d find out the end of the week, going to be a tense couple of days wait!

Yeh, one was asking questions and one was writing i think.

Its that horrible feeling when you come off the phone and your like, i should have said this and that... Nothing else to be done now other wait for news and hope we've done enough! Lol

This is the part i hate most, im rubbish at waiting for news!

Well, yet again back to keeping everything crossed that we all get good news! :)

LS.CYMRU

Its that horrible feeling when you come off the phone and your like, i should have said this and that... Nothing else to be done now other wait for news and hope we've done enough! Lol

Well, yet again back to keeping everything crossed that we all get good news! :)

Oh I see! They didn’t tell me there was 2.

I’m always hard on myself after interviews so I can never tell how well I did.

I suppose no news is good news (I hope)

Craig37

What type of questions did you get?
I've applied for one of the positions in the North so I'm guessing it will be the same format/questions. Thanks

Sparrow

Well done both, fingers crossed for you. Keep us informed how it goes.

Still waiting from the Shrewsbury group, hoping we hear soon...

LS.CYMRU

Hello everyone

Had my email around 10am, got the assessment a week today 24th January

Thank you all for the support you've given so far

And good luck to others still waiting!

cymrulass

Hi All,

The same as @LS.CYMRU , got my email this morning saying id been successful - really didn't think it had gone as well as i had hoped so absolutely thrilled!

This thread has been a huge help so thank you for all of your input so far!

Lets hope we all continue to get the news that we want :D

TeaTrain

Nice! You can use the group bourdon tool at the top of the forum to practice for SCAAT too. I'm sure they will send some info over as well.

Spikeylado

Well done if you have got through, and if you havent then dont give up! Incidently those who have assessment days is that for the Valley lines?
Tea Train is also correct use the link on here and get practising your group burdon skills it will really help!
Good luck!

Lynette Hill

Hi
I got through to the assessment centre in Cardiff next week...eeek! The lady I spoke to, Jayne, gave me the impression that there may be only one conductor position immediately up for grabs and the remainder will be allocated to the 'talent pool' and held on file for future posts. Surely they wouldn't go through all this for one position?? Can anyone give a bit more detail on the medical - the eye test in particular. I wear contacts but really need varifocals (pitfalls of old age) and as far as I know I am not colourblind. Will the eye test be a standard read the chart in the distance or will it be an in-depth put the optician's gadgets on and test the sight in each eye? the rest of the medical I'm not worried about but have no time to get my prescription uptodate.
Thanks in advance
Lynette

Lynette Hill

Well done if you have got through, and if you havent then dont give up! Incidently those who have assessment days is that for the Valley lines?
Tea Train is also correct use the link on here and get practising your group burdon skills it will really help!
Good luck!
Hi Yes I applied for Valley Lines.

Spikeylado

Hi, firstly don't concern yourself with anything medical that's way off yet concentrate on the assessment day, but eyesight is fine you just have to read the usual chart with or without glasses.
It's normal for train operating companies to do a recruitment drive and fill immediate agencies, then fill the talent pool. I was in a talent pool for about 10 months before starting.
Well done and get practicing those group burdon tests so they don't take you by surprise.

LS.CYMRU

Congratulations Lynette that's fantastic news.

I also applied for Cardiff valley lines, I'm hoping there are more positions than just the one! Although if I made the talent pool I'd still be grateful

I'm sure we'll see each other next week

All the best,

Lewis

Lynette Hill

Hi, firstly don't concern yourself with anything medical that's way off yet concentrate on the assessment day, but eyesight is fine you just have to read the usual chart with or without glasses.
It's normal for train operating companies to do a recruitment drive and fill immediate agencies, then fill the talent pool. I was in a talent pool for about 10 months before starting.
Well done and get practicing those group burdon tests so they don't take you by surprise.

Thanks for the speedy reply... I will def heed your advice and concentrate on next week. Have another interview tomorrow (civil service) so once that's over and done with I can give 100% to this. Again thank you for the advice :)

LS.CYMRU

Hi Spikeylado

Firstly, thank you for creating this thread!

On the email I received it only says a verification test of the online miniSCAAT, which I'm guessing will be identical to what we've already done?

Cheers

Lynette Hill

Congratulations Lynette that's fantastic news.

I also applied for Cardiff valley lines, I'm hoping there are more positions than just the one! Although if I made the talent pool I'd still be grateful

I'm sure we'll see each other next week

All the best,

Lewis

Good Luck to you too Lewis, I am there Tuesday pm. I'll post a bit of info for you and hope it will help a bit.

Spikeylado

Hi,
No props im glad it has been some help. From my experience regarding the verification of the on line tests, for obvious reasons they need to know you didn't get somebody to do the test for you so you will prob get a timed test to do on the day which will be similar to the on line tests? Although I'm not sure what they have said to you as regards what to expect on the day?

Lynette Hill

Hi,
No props im glad it has been some help. From my experience regarding the verification of the on line tests, for obvious reasons they need to know you didn't get somebody to do the test for you so you will prob get a timed test to do on the day which will be similar to the on line tests? Although I'm not sure what they have said to you as regards what to expect on the day?

The assessment will consist of the following:
  • A verification test of the online Mini SCAAT test
  • A group exercise
  • An interview
My General Ability Test was timed - 12 questions in 10 minutes, was very a very stressful/pressurised situation as the questions (in my opinion) were quite difficult. I didn't know whether to focus on speed or accuracy as it indicated points lost for non completion, but which was worse? non completion or a wrong answer?. I didn't even read the last question as I had 3 seconds left so randomly ticked one. Really don't want to go through that again....give me two interviews instead and leave the tests to the younger brains lol i can only do my best and will let you know how I get on :)

Spikeylado

Hi,
I went for accuracy above speed it doesn't matter if you don't finish as long as you get enough done. The test were not as intense as the on line ones as it is just to verify you did them in the first place.
As regards the group discussion try to find the balance between putting your points forward without being overpowering or to understated. Make sure you listen to candidates who are speaking and take their views and opinions on board with your own. You will be observed from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave so be aware of that also.
It sounds a lot (which it is) but I really enjoyed the day to be honest. All the Arriva staff are super friendly and will put you at ease so don't worry just try to enjoy it.

Potato185

Me and a few others have been told we have passed initial assessments for Crewe. No dates of interviews/whatever comes next, but should find out next week latest apparently.

cymrulass

Evening all... Just trying to catch up everything!

Huge congrats in getting through @Lynette Hill , @LS.CYMRU and @Potato185 ... And to the other that have had news or are waiting, fingers crossed it will come soon!

I asked on the phone about the talent pool and current positions, from what i was told they said anyone successful and able to attend the course (i believe at present os scheduled for 19th march) would be on it. Anyone else would be held in a talent pool in case opportunities further down the line come up. That was the response i got anyway :)

With regards to the group burdon link on here, im probably being stupid but where do i find it? Iv taken a look but can't seem to find it :s

Spikeylado

Hi all,
im based at Crewe so our paths may cross at some point in the future!
The group burdon link is on the Railway Jobs Careers link. It's the first link at the top of the page. I really would get practicing on it as it will help.
Any other help or info anyone needs give me a shout and good luck I know how you all feel!

Undiscovered

Unsuccessful email for Shrewsbury.
Gutted doesn't really describe it at the mo...
Good luck to everyone who has made it- you've a fabulous opportunity ahead of you.

Potato185

Sorry to hear that! If it's any consolation it took me 15 attempts!

Never give up. It took me a number of attempts to get where I am today. Don't give up and keep trying. Have you asked someone to look at your application? I found a railway pair of eyes, or even just someone else to look over made a difference.

LS.CYMRU

Evening all... Just trying to catch up everything!

Huge congrats in getting through @Lynette Hill , @LS.CYMRU and @Potato185 ... And to the other that have had news or are waiting, fingers crossed it will come soon!

I asked on the phone about the talent pool and current positions, from what i was told they said anyone successful and able to attend the course (i believe at present os scheduled for 19th march) would be on it. Anyone else would be held in a talent pool in case opportunities further down the line come up. That was the response i got anyway :)

With regards to the group burdon link on here, im probably being stupid but where do i find it? Iv taken a look but can't seem to find it :s

Hi Cymrulass

Thank you, sorry for the late response but I've been on nights then my sister got married Friday.

With regards to 19th March, did they tell it that was the date? The original email I had said 5th March

Kind regards

Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.