• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RSTurbo50

IM also having a telephone interview for the Chester conductor role on the 1st of May. Can anyone shed any light on what sort of questions we can expect for a 15 minutes telephone interview?

LS.CYMRU

IM also having a telephone interview for the Chester conductor role on the 1st of May. Can anyone shed any light on what sort of questions we can expect for a 15 minutes telephone interview?

There should be some useful information at the beginning of this forum.
Or just search ''ATW conductor'' and you should find plenty

RSTurbo50

Iv got a two week holiday booked the end of July, this was booked last year. Will this go against me getting on the course?

LS.CYMRU

Iv got a two week holiday booked the end of July, this was booked last year. Will this go against me getting on the course?

Depends when they run them I imagine mate.
Supposedly there's one in June so I'd say if you got onto that course then yes.

RSTurbo50

Would it be worth speaking to someone in recruitment before my telephone interview? Don’t really want to be putting effort into preparation if a family holiday pre-booked will go against me...

LS.CYMRU

Would it be worth speaking to someone in recruitment before my telephone interview? Don’t really want to be putting effort into preparation if a family holiday pre-booked will go against me...

Personally I'd go for it regardless and worry about it when the time comes.
You might not end up on a course until well after your holiday and even if you did you may be able to defer your place for another course anyway.
I'd just concentrate on the telephone interview first.

best of luck to you

LRV3004

When I had my face to face interview, I was asked what dates I had booked for holiday then they noted them down. After I made the talent pool I found out my ex had booked a surprise holiday to Tenerife for herself, me and our son as it would be his first holiday abroad. I e-mailed ATW apologising and including the extra dates. They replied thanking me for advising them, made a note of the additional dates and wished us a nice holiday!

RSTurbo50

They must be aware that people will have already booked holidays coming into this so surely they will make allowances especially if you are a candidate they like? The school in Chester is starting in June

Bellbell

They will have had hundreds of applications for these roles so yes and no. Given that they're running a talent pool, if they like you and you score well they will probably just put you in the pool if you tell them you can't do the first course. But they're not going to fall over themselves to accommodate people. I would put everything into your phone interview and go from there; they may already have numbers for the June course so the issue would never arise for you, you'd just go straight into the talent pool. No one can really say. If you withdraw now or give a poor performance because you don't want to put too much effort into preparing you might be ruining your chances long term.

As has already been advised though, anyone who is offered a place on a confirmed course should think carefully before asking to remain in the talent pool, you never know what's around the corner with railway recruitment.

Lynette Hill

Has anyone else had a phone call from HR today about the possibility of a place on the course in June? (Chester)

LRV3004

Has anyone else had a phone call from HR today about the possibility of a place on the course in June? (Chester)
No, however I'm in the pool for Crewe. Advised HR I would consider Chester; HR said they would let me know in May about this!

Lynette Hill

Same as me then Lewis... it was Jane who rang to say there was a course running in Chester on 18th June and was i still interested as they were looking for 3 and I was third? I thought I was 4th tbh. The medical needs to be done first and she didn't have a date as they were just ringing around to see who was still interested. This was last Tuesday, she said she'd be back in touch in a few weeks.

RSTurbo50

Does this mean that they have already filled the course for Chester in June? Iv got a telephone interview next week for a trainee conductor role in Chester. The email states a course will be running in June. Does it look like they have filled the course for June and are now only after applicants for the talent pool?

Lynette Hill

That happened with us. If yr telephone interview isn't until next week then you won't know the outcome for a few days or a week, then there's the assessment centre . They ran 4 assessments over 2 days and took a week to give out the results. If you then think that successful applicants may need to give their current employers notice then starting on 18th June is unrealistic. For the last Cardiff course they filled it with the last of the talent pool and there was one space for the best of our bunch. However that's just my observations. Good luck with your telephone interview next week

LS.CYMRU

Same as me then Lewis... it was Jane who rang to say there was a course running in Chester on 18th June and was i still interested as they were looking for 3 and I was third? I thought I was 4th tbh. The medical needs to be done first and she didn't have a date as they were just ringing around to see who was still interested. This was last Tuesday, she said she'd be back in touch in a few weeks.

Well done!
Hope you manage to get on the course.

Let us know how it goes

Lewis

Adam2507

I had my interview for Chester conductor on Wednesday and had the call today to say I had been put in the talent pool. So I suppose it’s just wait and see now. I’ve seen some threads on here about approx times etc so I’ll go back and read them! But roughly how long does it take to get offered a position? Thanks

JetStream

I had my interview for Chester conductor on Wednesday and had the call today to say I had been put in the talent pool. So I suppose it’s just wait and see now. I’ve seen some threads on here about approx times etc so I’ll go back and read them! But roughly how long does it take to get offered a position? Thanks

Congratulations! You've done really well.

Now, unless you're on the June course, don't think about it too much. You've 2 years, and, realistically, it won't be until January at the earliest given the new franchise. What number are you in the talent pool? The lower the number, the sooner it'll be.

Spikeylado

Hi, and well done to all that were successful! In answer to the question regarding holidays, i would imagine that you would go to the bottom of the list this time around as they make no exceptions for holidays etc, you either want the course or the holiday! Sorry to sound harsh but thats the way it is due to the fierce competition for places as you would of experienced already! I missed my sons graduation at uni as i was on the course which wasnt nice, but its a case of commit 100% or not at all! Sorry but thats just the way it is! On a more positive note the course is excellent and sacrifices made are well worth it in the end!

Lynette Hill

Well I have heard nothing since my call from HR a month ago so I havent had the medical. I have had to accept another job with DWP as I am now unemployed. I am due to start on 18th June which is the exact date the Arriva course starts! I have no idea what is going on or what I am going to do if they ring :(

LS.CYMRU

Well I have heard nothing since my call from HR a month ago so I havent had the medical. I have had to accept another job with DWP as I am now unemployed. I am due to start on 18th June which is the exact date the Arriva course starts! I have no idea what is going on or what I am going to do if they ring :(

I was wondering why we hadn't heard any updates! Have you phoned them for any update since?
What a strange coincidence that its the same date!
I hope they sort it out for you

Lynette Hill

No I haven't rang because I have been expecting a call everyday. I dont need to give notice to any employer, just withdraw my acceptance (if it comes to that). But most people in work need to give their employer notice of termination of their contract with them so i am a bit puzzled as to why there has been no further contact. Unless no one needs to give a months notice, thats the only thing I can think of.... until i pass the medical Im not counting my chickens. Will let you know if I get another call.

LS.CYMRU

If it was me I'd just just keep phoning/emailing them. Have you got a medical booked or just waiting to hear?

JetStream

C

Email them immediately, unless you've already done so.

u2com

Hi I have applied for a conductor post at Huddersfield please could you help and give me an idea of what it is like to work from Hudderfield station? and what routes you would work on? and the potential shifts paterns? sorry for so many questions I have been reading all the threads and they are very helpful and appreciated. I also wondered if the online assessments had replaced the assessment events if any one knows?

JetStream

Hi I have applied for a conductor post at Huddersfield please could you help and give me an idea of what it is like to work from Hudderfield station? and what routes you would work on? and the potential shifts paterns? sorry for so many questions I have been reading all the threads and they are very helpful and appreciated. I also wondered if the online assessments had replaced the assessment events if any one knows?

Might be best to start a new thread I think, as this is about Arriva Trains Wales, so you're not as likely to get a response

Status
Not open for further replies.