New Deep tube trains for Piccadilly line.

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by Rational Plan, 22 Aug 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tranzitjim

tranzitjim Member

Pitty we can not standardise a lot of these curves. Rebuild them to be wider, to permit wider trains to operate within them.

2. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

re-boring tunnels is enormously difficult, especially where the tunnels are wrapped around various foundations, basements, other tunnels, services etc.

Certainly, if you were boring the tunnels from scratch they'd not twist as much- you'd also propose doing them mainline size (though this would result in some fairly major land reclamation somewhere- or the construction of an actual mountain) with straight and level wide open platforms

3. williamn

williamn Member

I hope the Bakerloo line stock gets a VERY extensive refurb. Its already the tattiest stock on the tube.

4. Nym

Nym Established Member

Well, it's been argreed it will have 'life extention works' done, but the extent of these as of yet, no-one's informed me...

To be honest, the magnitude of work depends on how much longer they want the units to last...

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  5. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

New elastic bands... :lol:

6. Nozzacook

Nozzacook Member

I agree the 72ts need a cosmetic referb but mechanically it should be sound as it covers far fewer miles a day compared to the 73ts.

7. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

I think the reason given for the 73 stock to move to the Isle of Wight over the 72 stock is the lack of cab end doors. The extensive refurb they've been given is im sure a factor too!

Eastleigh. Some of the ex Vic line cars are being made into LULs test trains, whilst others are in storage. Pretty sure some cars of the Vic lines cars were converted ex Northern Line 72 Mk1 stock as well, which would make ripe use for integrating into the 72 Stock on the Bakerloo line.

Speaking of, some of the tightest curves along that route can also be found in the Oxford Circus area, as well as coming into Piccadilly Circus and the approaches into Paddington.

Finally - I'd like to hope that the designers of any new tube stock for the Piccadilly line take one thing into account, Heathrow. One of the reasons for the 73s extensive refurb was to make better provision for the Airport luggage, so hopefully, any designers of any new stock take this and create a design better than the one shown on the first page - which I notice hasn't really got any wheelchair spaces in sight too.

8. Nym

Nym Established Member

I can safely say the elastic bands on that train are replaced already as routine maintnenance ;)

The life extention works are scoped to cover mechanical repairs. It may cover less miles per day but the fleet utilisation requirement is one of the highest in the country. (33/36)

There are currently four cars being converted into a 'test train' two ex 67TS and two ex. 72TS that where re-numbered into the 67TS ranges. Very significant mechanical work is being carried out in order to life extend the cars.

9. harry42

harry42 Member

What will happen to the drivers? Will they all become captains?

10. announcements

announcements Member

Probably 'Passenger Service Agents' as they're known as on the DLR... I'm certainly not a fan of this terminology!

---

You may have noticed that a new thread has been created to raise awareness of the mock up of the new Siemens train. I'm glad they've reverted back to the 'EVO' concept (albeit now branded as 'Inspiro') rather than the 'New Train for London' we saw in the first page of this thread... the 'EVO' is a lot more radical in its design.

11. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

The new design isn't that radical beyond the front cab (which won't stay like that) and the gangways (which hopefully will).

12. announcements

announcements Member

I believe that this new concept train is as radical as the 1986ts would have been back in the late '80s. And why shouldn't the front stay like that? I'm very impressed by this mock-up and can't wait to see it in the flesh.

13. Uzair

Uzair Member

14. announcements

announcements Member

I visited the other day and I can confirm that these trains will still have a driver's cab and so will be as automatic as the Vic/Jub/Central/Northern lines where there is a 'train operator' who deals with the doors etc. It won't be like the DLR in the sense that the passenger/customer can see out the front-window.

15. Peter Mugridge

Blimey, Paris has had more advanced stuff for years now; Lines 14 and 1 have fully walk through ( like the S Stock and 378s ) driverless trains with DLR style see through front ends; they don't even need a "Captain" on them.

16. Nym

Nym Established Member

Ask yourself though, do you feel safe on the Paris Metro?

17. Peter Mugridge

Yes, I do - I have no hesitation at all about using any part of the Metro, and I do go to Paris 2 - 3 times a year on average. Only just been over for a week, as it happens.

18. Harlesden

Harlesden Member

In this challenging economic climate, does it really make sense to spend millions on a totally new design?
    Do we really need walk through articulated tube trains?
    Do we really need painfully bright new lighting?
    Why not just a brand new build of the current designs incorporating the new technology which did not exist when the original build was delivered.
    A train exists to get you from A to B. Nobody particularly cares what the exterior looks like provided it is kept clean.

19. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

Do we know which, if any, of the new features will actually cost more money? The physical shape of the train isn't that radical compared to the current designs, only the front is a different shape. I would imagine most of the new technology is under the hood, and that will be the expensive bit.

20. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

LED lighting might cost a bit more but it has many advantages (energy consumption, life, ability to keep going from emergency power etc).

I am sure other new materials and designs will help the train last for longer, be easier to clean etc.

21. Nym

Nym Established Member

So long as it isn't built in Derby...

22. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Sadly I fear you're probably right there!

23. D365

D365 Established Member

Has anything worthwhile actually been said about DTP by Bombardier?

24. a729

a729 Member

So the Isle of Wight gets all London's hand me downs?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    1992 stock is dodgy stock and won't be around anywhere as long as the 1972 stock! It increasingly looks like the 1972 stock will outlive the 1992 stock!
    There must be some sharp curves around Waterloo as the platforms all curved and the train makes lots of noise on the approach!
    I imagine that the new trains will be less comfortable than those on the 72(or even 73) stock! the 09 stock has terrible seating!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.