• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New devices at Ashurst New Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
We have recently got a new ticket machine on the platform [1], at ANF, however there are now two new itens on posts on each platform with blue 'SOUTH WEST TRAINS' plastic covers on for the moment. What they heck are they, being nosey please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

Without seeing them I can't be certain, but strongly suspect they're for SWT's smart card ticketing (distant cousin of Oyster) system.

dan_atki

Established Member
Without seeing them I can't be certain, but strongly suspect they're for SWT's smart card ticketing (distant cousin of Oyster) system.

Correct, they are smartcard readers, now installed at almost every exit of almost all SWT stations (Southampton Airport Parkway has 6 or 7 of them!).

Originally they weren't covered up, and look like the attached picture.

Attachments

• smartcard.jpg
    smartcard.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 45

Established Member
Correct, they are smartcard readers, now installed at almost every exit of almost all SWT stations (Southampton Airport Parkway has 6 or 7 of them!).

Originally they weren't covered up, and look like the attached picture.

There isn't any of them at Teddington,Fulwell,Hampton Wick, Hounslow,Ashford MDDX, Whitton,Strawberry hill or Upper Halliford.

Aye Mr A ;)

Oracle

Established Member
Thanks...I guessed it was some form of Oyster-type gubbins. And I loathye that ticket machine as it takes an age to use if you have no idea how it works, like me, and it only has a limited number of destinations. Finsbury Park is one, which could be handy for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.