• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New devices in Glasgow Subway four foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I was travelling on the subway for the first time since the travel ban lifted today and noticed that there are now the pictured devices placed on the track. I saw one in a tunnel but most I saw were on the stations. They appear to bunch up towards the exit tunnel, too.

Can anyone tell me what these are? I'm curious…

thank you

Attachments

• 20210416_121004.jpg
    20210416_121004.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 124
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum.

I’d expect they’re beacons that the train can use to detect its position exactly when in automatic operation. That might well explain why there are more of them towards the stopping position.

I hope someone may know more about the specific signalling system that’s being installed for the new trains.

Journeyman

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

I’d expect they’re beacons that the train can use to detect its position exactly when in automatic operation. That might well explain why there are more of them towards the stopping position.

I hope someone may know more about the specific signalling system that’s being installed for the new trains.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to find out specifically. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the calibration or running of the new UTO system that will run the driverless trains.

As far as I have seen, these aren't used on the test track at the depot.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Presumably an updated system for the new trains, given the current trains already do this.

mark-h

How accurately do the current trains stop? If the new trains are planned to use platform edge doors then stopping positions may have to be more precise.

Is the intention for the new trains using the existing signalling system to replace both trains and signalling at the same time?

hacman

They're balises for train location and communication.

I'm not sure if the signaling system is being upgraded or entirely replaced for the new fleet and the completely automatic operation, but this will be part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.