• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New engines for DRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Apologies if it has already been posted, but it looks like DRS are splashing out on some new traction

Direct Rail Services invests in new diesel locomotives

And if you read the link this is the main reason why!!!!

The locos will feature the latest emission standards and set new standards for driver environment.

Emission standards are being tightened I think in 2015/6 and all UK loco's inc 67's will either have to be scrapped or be upgraded to the new emission standards. Forward thinking from DRS I think

ChrisCooper

Established Member

The locos will feature the latest emission standards and set new standards for driver environment.

Emission standards are being tightened I think in 2015/6 and all UK loco's inc 67's will either have to be scrapped or be upgraded to the new emission standards. Forward thinking from DRS I think

I'm fairly sure emission standards apply to new build and are not retrospective. With the exception of low emission zones the road industry standards are not retrospective and they have been around longer and have been tighter than the rail ones. Unless some relaxations for limited use traction were brought in then this would also spell the end for heritage traction on the mainline.

Many modern engines such as the EMD710 in the 66 and 67 and the MTUs in the HSTs don't comply with the current standards. The reason NR and GC both rushed to MTU their powercars was to get them done before the deadline (as re-engining classes as re-build for the purpose of the regulations).

GB

Established Member
I'm fairly sure emission standards apply to new build and are not retrospective.

I believe you are right, it would be financial suicide for most companies to continually upgrade their fleet to meet every new EU draconian directive.

Ive also been told that the crash worthiness of the 66s have been brought into question too as they hold up too well against passenger stock.

fgwrich

Established Member
I believe you are right, it would be financial suicide for most companies to continually upgrade their fleet to meet every new EU draconian directive.

Ive also been told that the crash worthiness of the 66s have been brought into question too as they hold up too well against passenger stock.

And of course with our situation in the EU at the moment, who knows what the future holds?!

Its quite a bold design from Vossloh - and shows what can be done with a little thought in the styling department - Those overriders which give the 70s the Orville look appear to at least be hidden in the Eurolight with i think, a slight glimpse through the extended buffer beam...Though is it just me, or with lights like those - does the Eurolight have a slight bug eyed look - abit Beetle ish? :o

Royston Vasey

Established Member

I think you've just given diesel fans a heart attack!!!

As others have said, this is not how European emissions legislation works. For example, a ten year old Euro 3 VW Golf is not removed from the roads or retrofitted because it doesn't meet the current Euro 5 standards.

Similarly, DRS's 47s (for example) do not have to adhere to the Stage IIIa non road machinery emissions limits which have been in place since 2006. The stage IIIb limits which have just come into force this month can normally be handled without catalytic aftertreatment but will have required certain improvements. Hence the MTU 16V4000s in the HSTs are now defunct technology and couldn't be manufactured now (although I believe an already extant unit may be newly fitted to a loco). I read on their website that there is an aftertreatment pack now available for the 4000 series which would bring them up to date, although I've read on these forums that the new version wouldn't fit in a power car.

From 2015, it is likely that aftertreatment will be required in diesel locomotives and power plants made after the "type approval" date (the "deadline"). This would include a catalytic converter and/or a particulate filter as is mandated for current diesel cars in Europe.

DRS are being canny in having these ordered well before the type approval date of 2015.

Further reading http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/nonroad.php

Established Member
EURO standards for cars have also been challenged - can't remember which upgrade it was (might have been EURO III to IV), but in reducing the amount of CO2 produced they increased the amount of NOx produced, which is why a few areas in the UK were having to set up more AQMAs than first thought (this was certainly the reason for York having too high concentrations of NOx against the yearly allowances).

Status
Not open for further replies.