• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Flat Bottom Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
The NYMR has just taken delivery of a batch of new FB Rail as we have done many times before.
However this time round I noticed that the cut rail ends have all been spray painted Black.

Is there a reason for this?
Oxidisation prevention maybe.
Or some other reason.20171016_112115.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
From reading the latest CE blog on the NYMR website, I think these rails are to be welded to form a new stretch of CWR line. Have the ends been painted to protect them against corrosion so that on doing the welds the paint burns off to give clean ends for a better weld?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If that's the case then they either missed a bit or the paint has been damaged or rusted through.

Ploughman

Established Member
These rails were painted prior to delivery to the NYMR probably at Scunthorpe.
In 20 years on renewals on Network or 35 years with NYMR PWay I have not seen this before.

THe rails themselves are now offloaded on site at Farwath near Levisham. More being delivered next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.