• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Franchise Acronym - TSGN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This appears to be the new name of the combined FCC/Southern franchise, coming from Thameslink Southern Great Northern.

It is used in the consultation paper for the 2014 South Eastern franchise renewal published by the DfT today: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2012-29/southeastern-consultation.pdf
which is mostly about temporary/permanent diversion of services because of the Thameslink programme.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
I hope it's just a working title, although having said that they did forget to give WAGN a proper name, didn't they. :-/

It certainly made no sense when West Anglia was split off. We're All Going Nowhere?

Travel South to Go North, does that work? I'd borrow a leaf from E. Nesbit's book and call it NSR, Northern & Southern Railway. Possibly, MNSR, Midland, Northern & Southern Railway, although that's not all that bad.

Schnellzug

Established Member
It certainly made no sense when West Anglia was split off. We're All Going Nowhere?
Though at least you could pronounce WAGN as 'Wagon' (cue remarks about cattle truck conditions..)

Travel South to Go North, does that work? I'd borrow a leaf from E. Nesbit's book and call it NSR, Northern & Southern Railway. .

that's exactly what i was thinking!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'd call it Meridian Rail.

I was just thinking the same.
Then they could extend northwards without changing the name...

I thought Blackfriars Trains would be a USP for the "Thameslink Core" but that would not suit the SW1 lot who use the Victoria branch. :idea:

hluraven

I would call it Thameslink. If you wanted to break it up into service groups, I would also have Southern metro for the Southern suburbans and Great Northern metro for the other side of the river.

Not exactly imaginative, but easy to remember for everyone.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Could be a lower case 'and' in the acronym
TSGN= Thameslink Southern and Great Northern

Eagle

Established Member
I was just thinking the same.
Then they could extend northwards without changing the name...

I was thinking that the name Meridian is now rather associated with the area south of London due to the ITV station (the same as the name Granada is synonymous with NW England), but it also suggests having a few lines (WCML, MML, ECML) that cross the capital south to north, that is, meridionally.

I should point out that the word comes from the Latin meridies, meaning both "noon" and "the south"—whence the French midi.

gswindale

Can we clarify that this is more of an abbreviation than an acronym please?

I was always taught that acronyms made pronounceable words such as RADAR wheras BBC was just an abbreviation as you have to say each letter as individuals?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
This abbreviation is just a working title- much as "Southern Railway Ltd" run the "South Central" franchise under the trading name "Southern"

Eagle

Established Member
This abbreviation is just a working title- much as "Southern Railway Ltd" run the "South Central" franchise under the trading name "Southern"

Or, more esoterically, how the London and Birmingham Railway Ltd run the West Midlands franchise under the name London Midland.

marks87

Established Member
Can we clarify that this is more of an abbreviation than an acronym please?

I was always taught that acronyms made pronounceable words such as RADAR wheras BBC was just an abbreviation as you have to say each letter as individuals?
An abbreviation is a shortened version, for instance loco = locomotive.

An acronym, as you say, spells a word, for instance NATO.

Technically, TSGN is an initialism.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
An abbreviation is a shortened version, for instance loco = locomotive.
An acronym, as you say, spells a word, for instance NATO.
Technically, TSGN is an initialism.

As a professional pedant, I hold my hands up for the thread title.
It seems like Essex Thameside to me, or ICWC, a DfT-invented brand-neutral means of describing the franchise area.
Who knows what daft names the bidders will come up with.
Hopefully an improvement on FCC and c2c.

I noticed in Sweden last week that the service I used was branded simply "J31" from its timetable number.
So how about "Table 52 Trains" for TSGN? <(.

stut

Established Member
Perhaps, in keeping with the style of many of the FCC RPIs, TSGN can be made into an acronym by pronouncing it "taser gun"?

Status
Not open for further replies.