• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New homes for ex-Caledonian Sleeper Mark 2 and 3 stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Porterbrook says they have found new homes for most of the stock - do we know where they're going?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spirit555

9 of the Mk3 Sleepers have gone to LSL at Crewe, 4 have gone to ELR, and 2 are private sales that I know of. Don't have any numbers though

HTH

Mark

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1 has gone to Bo'ness and 1 has gone to the 10000 group

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They had ~60 or so SLE/SLEP/SLED as far as I'm aware (needed 8x6 every night, plus a spare formation of 6, plus extra spares)

Phil Scott

Does anyone know the identity of the four Mk3 sleepers delivered to the East
Lance Railway? Thanks

fgwrich

Established Member
Two Ex Caley Sleeper Mk3s have also found new homes today too, surprisingly on the Bluebell Railway. Both delivered to Kingscote this morning by GBRf's 66725/66701.

dmkc

Would imagine that to be a very common end use for them - and why not.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would imagine that to be a very common end use for them - and why not.
Surely it's the traditional retirement use of Mk3 sleepers! After the great cull of sleep routes in the late 80s and into the 90s I'm sure a great many of them ended up with various preserved railways as accommodation!

matacaster

On Moderation
I am surprised that the odd one or two aren't put on short disused sidings (assuming there are some) in Scotland [ or a couple of lengths of disconnected track] and rented out as cheap holiday accommodation by some budding entrepreneur. Surely some spotters would relish the thought.

trainmania100

Established Member
Does anyone know where the bluebell railway ones are being positioned? Is it in the bay at Sheffield park?

Murray J

no idea but i'd imagine it's probably in the sidings at horstead keynes or the locomotive shed, could be at sheffield park though.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Surely it's the traditional retirement use of Mk3 sleepers! After the great cull of sleep routes in the late 80s and into the 90s I'm sure a great many of them ended up with various preserved railways as accommodation!

IIRC, the Bluebell also has an ex-Night Ferry CIWL Type F for the same purpose.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Eastern Rail Services have bought most of the Mark 2 coaches and 4 Sleepers, there is a summary in the latest Rail Express.

Murray J

the bluebell railway have released 2 photos of the sleeper coaches, photos aren't mine nor are they BRs.
mk3_delivery_wh_davew0141_19dec19h.jpg

mk3_slep_hk_davew0211_19dec19h.jpg

Southern Dvr

I expect the Bluebell will want such ‘horrid’ modern rolling stock hidden away from public view.

Unfortunately

Spirit555

Reported elsewhere that Mk2 9810 taken from Ferme Park to Derby RTC today.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.