• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New images unveiled of Crossrail "Elizabeth Line" stations set to open in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rup

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/new-images-unveiled-of-elizabeth-line-stations-set-to-open-in-2018

There's a gallery of artists impressions of many of the new and updated stations. The stations look spacious but all a bit the same grey/silver for my liking. A little more colour would be nice! Looking forward to visiting them in the future though :)

Crossrail Limited has today revealed new images of the stations in central and southeast London that will form part of Transport for London’s new Elizabeth line from December 2018.

The images of the new stations provide a glimpse of the common features passengers will see at platform level, as well as the bespoke design of the ticket halls and surface areas which will reflect the character of their local areas. The new stations, all of which will be step-free from train to street, will open in 2018. They will be fully integrated with TfL’s existing transport network, transforming travel across London and offering passengers seamless journeys.

The new designs are on display in a new free exhibition at the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) alongside architectural components destined for the stations. The ‘Platform for Design’ exhibition will give an insight into the design of the new railway, its stations and public spaces.

Andrew Wolstenholme, Chief Executive, Crossrail Limited, said: “World class design is at the heart of Crossrail and as the project approaches 75 per cent complete, these fantastic new images show passengers what they will experience when the Elizabeth line opens in 2018.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

southern442

Established Member
*Crossrail

I'm very glad that they have put as much thought into the stations as they have, it's a very exciting project!

Dent

The platform level decorations at Farringdon and Tottenham Court Road look very similar. Disappointing that they don't seem to have learned the lesson from the Yerkes tube lines of making each station look obviously different when viewed from inside the train.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I do wonder how well they will age really.
Concrete like that doesn't take much to look really nasty.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When you include the platforms, entrances etc of a station I think that Canary Wharf is the best. If you was to take a photo of the external part and photoshop out all the background I doubt many people would guess that it's right in the centre of London

AM9

Veteran Member
It may be an effect of the artists' impressions but Liverpool St and Farringdon don't seem to have much circulating area at platform level, - indeed no more than some of the Jubbly platforms. Farringdon colud be a surprise in interchange volume when both TL and the Lizzy are running full services. Moreso when the inevitable early train extensions from 7 to 9 cars takes place and maybe Thameslink abandon 8-car services in the core.

Wolfie

Established Member
When you include the platforms, entrances etc of a station I think that Canary Wharf is the best. If you was to take a photo of the external part and photoshop out all the background I doubt many people would guess that it's right in the centre of London

my bold

Sorry but loooool! As someone who has lived in London for thirty years I have to say "you are having a giraffe"!

D365

Veteran Member
Sorry but loooool! As someone who has lived in London for thirty years I have to say "you are having a giraffe"!

Tbh I don't think the poster in question (going by past postings) is all that familiar with anything north of the Thames ;)

Rail.Fan

I wonder this with all new architecture at stations. I guess things will have to be maintained well.

Deepgreen

Established Member

Well, it isn't; it's in the east end!

ole17

Don't think concrete indoors actually age as badly as those outdoors. They're not exposed to rain and wind, and so they shouldn't discolour or have moss growing on them. If they're painted as well they should look as good as the pictures are (not sure about it). Some of the station ceilings makes me think of this

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Don't think concrete indoors actually age as badly as those outdoors. They're not exposed to rain and wind, and so they shouldn't discolour or have moss growing on them.

Concrete indoors doesn't need to age - it tends to look like you're in a dungeon right from the start. The moss probably doesn't bother growing because it knows that even if it does grow, it can't make the concrete look any worse anyway <(

Status
Not open for further replies.