• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New job in watford junction - reverse commute

Status
Not open for further replies.

verasalvo

Hi all,

I got a new job in Watford Junction, but I am planning to reverse commute and live somewhere in zone 1 or 2 in London. One option is share a flat next to Euston area but I find value for money is not amazing, so considered the overground commute, even though longer, I could think about areas like South Hampstead or Queen's Park. For example queen's park I could even take the Bakerloo line and then the train as well ( suggested by citymapper to get to watford).

As anyone commuted to Watford Junction by overground? any thoughts? It would also be half the price..is it to slow though? I believe average time will be around 40/50 minutes vs maybe 20 by a train from Euston.

Thanks for your help!

Vera

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
To be perfectly honest with you - living in Watford is going to be the easiest and cheapest place to live. Zone 1&2 is just expensive and then to add on the commute costs and time somewhere nearer or in Watford will leave a bit of extra in your pocket every month. A lot extra.

Try looking at Carpenders park or something.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't understand why you'd consider living in zone 2 and working in Watford, unless you're already settled and don't want to move. If you're going to work in Watford, and you're in rented with no/few ties to the area, you may as well live further out and save yourself a packet on both travelling and living costs. If you're worried about a social life, it's a 20 minute train ride into London and the last trains are well after midnight.

For what you'd spend around Queens Park you could get something a lot nicer in Harrow or even Watford itself.

Reason077

You could also consider Harrow & Wealdstone or Wembley Central.

Fast trains to Watford Junction without being quite so far out.

exile

Established Member
I had a friend who lived in London in a tiny and expensive flat and worked in Reading. They had no interest in any of the culture or nightlife in London but all their close friends were there. Expensive friends!

nicobobinus

Unless it is crucially important to you to be within a cab ride or short night bus of what London has to offer then I'd suggest moving to Watford and being done with it - cheaper rent, more space and a shorter commute. And you can spend the money you save enjoying the cultural and leisure amenities of London to a greater degree - trains are 17 minutes to from Euston to Watford and the last train is quite late, especially at weekends. It isn't hard to enjoy London and live in Watford IMO.

Euston isn't a fantastic area to live in, and expensive to boot. Unless you're on a pretty high wage packet you'll probably be in an ex-council flat share on an estate, and the estates around Euston can be pretty rough. Additionally a lot of the house shares around there are geared towards students at UCL etc who are likely to be reluctant to share with a full time worker as this leaves the household liable to council tax. Similarly with South Hampstead, but there are some nicer pockets (albeit quite expensive ones). Similarly with Queens Park and Kilburn, the latter of which has a bit of life to it itself. North of there it gets quite suburban and you might as well be in Watford anyway!

Last edited:

anme

Established Member
I'll give the opposite opinion - I grew up in a suburban part of the UK so I know how miserable it is. To the OP, if you want to live in central London, do it! Life is too short to spend in Watford.

Status
Not open for further replies.