• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a photo of an early layout I am construction in my loft.

What you see is half of the layout and the base boards will be copied on the other half of the loft area (On the other side of the bridge on the left of the photo)

Its slow and steady progress but just thought I'd share it with you, and any feedback would be great.

This half will feature the coach sidings and loco shed, but not quite as they are shown on the photo, the access point to the sidings will be moved to make them longer, and give more space for the loco shed.

The other half of the layout will feature the main station. I also plan to incorporate some sort of good yard on the layout, as I have a few Bachmann Intermodals and the rake of auto-ballasters.

Anyway, until later.......

CSK

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 212
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks very much, I have took a few better photos. None of this is set in place yet, just giving myself a few ideas what I can do with the space I have got.

I have been picking a few bits and pieces up for a couple of years now, and now I have the space I am in a position to start putting together some form of layout.

Photo 1 shows the mainline on the left, which will go up onto the bridge, and a diesel depot.

Photo 2 shows the exit from the diesel depot and the back of the carriage/unit shed.

Photo 3 shows the front of the carriage/unit shed.

Photo 4 shows the whole of the carriage/unit shed and main line running towards the bottom of the screen, the entrance to the carriage/unit shed will be moved toward the bottom of this photo, to get longer trains in.

Photo 5 shows the only bit of the layout that I have done any real work on, the bridge over the stairs, sadly I can't do any work on the underside as the head room is limited, and I don't want anyone banging their head on it.

Anyway, thanks for looking, this is going to be a long process, as this is only really half of the layout, and will eventually be handed over to my son, but as he is only 4 months, I think I have plenty of time to get it done!

CSK

Attachments

• DSC02863.jpg
    DSC02863.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02868.jpg
    DSC02868.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02865.jpg
    DSC02865.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02867.jpg
    DSC02867.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02862.jpg
    DSC02862.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 92
To go with the photos of the early stages of the layout, I thought I'd upload these, I have collected my railway model for 2-3 years now, waiting for the right time and space to start a layout, which is now.

I originally intended to do a sort of stock book with these images and add a few notes on what I planned to do with each model, but that never materilised.

I spent quite a while shopping around for these from various places, new and second hand, and a few gifts, but now I feel I have a sound base for my layout.

A few of these I have more than one of, for example I have a rake of 6 JJA Auto-Ballasters, and more of the Hornby EWS Coal Wagons, but I was not going to add all that information.

There are also a few recent additions that I have not added to this lot, including East Midlands trains MK3's.

This is not meant to be a 'I've got more trains than you, showing off thread, I just thought I'd upload them for anyone who is interested. maybe I should have gone for a 'Favourite Model thread' or something like that.........

Anyway, have a look if you like, post some of your own, whatever floats your boat.....

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/collection?album_id=950742814

CSK

flymo

Established Member
Looks good so far CSK, keep up the good work.

I must admit I always get a little jealous nowadays when I see these wonderful layouts.It jut reminds me of what I used to have a few years ago and gave it all up when I moved away. I broke up my old layout and just gave it all away.

Ooooooh I wish I wish I wish.

I would spend hours on the smallest detail to get it just right and would insist on trying to solder the track together to simulate continuous welded rail. Melted loads of sleepers that way...<D

I even got an old knackered model wagon and tried to make my own copies by making a mould of it and using lead to make the basic shape. results were.......er...somewhat less than successful. Still fun though.:D

Note to self: must visit this part of the forum more often.

Well I have tried everywhere I know and a few online shops and couldn't find the inclines set's I wanted, and the only place that said they were getting them in would have cost a fair whack once id added all the glue, filler, postage etc..... So I have gone with the Hornby incline piers and hopefully I can hide them away as there pretty ugly!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Do you not feel confident enough to build your own slope? I would only suggest the Hornby piers as a last resort.

HHF, I think I will end up doing my own incline, but the Hornby piers giver me a start and I am able to get a bit more of the layout set up and fiddled with to see where I am heading.

I have picked up a Bachmann Dynamis controller recently and I am very very happy with it. I have had a good clear out and re-designed the layout a little, I have attached a few pictures if any of you are interested.

Photo 1 - New coach/unit shed
Photo 2 - Extension to the coach/unit sidings
Photo 3 - Coach/unit sidings
Photo 4 - Junction between main line, coach/unite sidings and diesel depot
Photo 5 - View up the incline
Photo 6 - view down the incline and diesel depot

Attachments

• DSC02931.jpg
    DSC02931.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02932.jpg
    DSC02932.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC02933.jpg
    DSC02933.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC02934.jpg
    DSC02934.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02936.jpg
    DSC02936.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02939.jpg
    DSC02939.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 53

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Wow, that looks like it will be a great layout when it's done, good luck with it.

I would like to get into railway "OO" gauge modelling again after many years, but I was made redundant recently, so until I get another job, which is not easy at the moment, I think I will have to wait a while. (Anyone looking for staff, anything legal considered, SW/Central London?) Rgds.

Since my last update I have been getting on with quite a few bits and pieces, find attached a few photos of what's been going on.....

I have added another 3 sections of baseboard, and following prompting from hairyhandedfool to have a bash at doing my own incline, I have! I had a stack of old laminate flooring in the shed, so I have used that, originally propped up with the Hornby incline piers, just to keep the incline even, and then replaced them with a more solid support. I know it don't look to pretty at the minute but the scenery is yet to come. I am undecided if I should do a grass bank or wall along the incline, ideally the wall will leave more space for the town scene at the bottom, but a grass bank will look better, anyway, that's to be decided.

Nothing else much to report, as usual, comments very welcome.

Attachments

• DSC02941.jpg
    DSC02941.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02942.jpg
    DSC02942.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC02943.jpg
    DSC02943.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02944.jpg
    DSC02944.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC02945.jpg
    DSC02945.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC02946.jpg
    DSC02946.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02947.jpg
    DSC02947.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC02948.jpg
    DSC02948.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02949.jpg
    DSC02949.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC02950.jpg
    DSC02950.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 35

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
That gradient looks very good, well constructed, remember to support the lowest end of the gradient though, this is just as important as the rest. Perhaps papier mashe as a base and maybe stiff card over the top.

With regards to your wall/grass query, think about what is going to go in that area, if it would look better with grass, it might be good to compromise on space for buildings, roads, etc.

Good work though, keep it up.

Just a short update, I have today put down some of the track to form the main line section of the station (There will be a separate terminating section of the station) and put in place a few of the station bits I have made up.

The platform closest to the wall will expend and curve round and will hold a good 8 coach train, and the near platform will also curve round but will be slightly shorter than the other platform, This track joins the mainline at the bottom of each incline, and runs around just over half the layout, with the exception of the bridge.

There is another board to be added yet that will make room for the terminating platforms and more of the town scene, so I will not try to describe how that will look until the board is in place.

Anyway, here are a few photos.......

Attachments

• DSC02951.jpg
    DSC02951.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02952.jpg
    DSC02952.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02953.jpg
    DSC02953.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02954.jpg
    DSC02954.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC02955.jpg
    DSC02955.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02956.jpg
    DSC02956.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02958.jpg
    DSC02958.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02959.jpg
    DSC02959.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
A few more bits and pieces have arrived recently and I now have a circuit to run trains again, the lift out section is in and working (See separate thread on how I finally did this), we have a couple of new sections of the station complete, and the junction is installed which will go to 3 bay platforms, well 2 with a centre siding.

See the attached photos......

Photo 1 - First complete loop is in and working.
Photo 2 - New junction to bay platforms.
Photo 3 - New platforms on the mainline.
Photo 4 - View of the new platforms from the other end of the station.
Photo 5 - A higher view of the new platforms.
Photo 6 - Latest addition to the layout, ViTrains Cotswold Rail class 47, a snip at £39 from Hattons. Also got an 8 pack of Bachmann green Network Rail ballast trucks.

Comments welcome.

CSK

Attachments

• DSC02967.jpg
    DSC02967.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02968.jpg
    DSC02968.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC02969.jpg
    DSC02969.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02970.jpg
    DSC02970.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02971.jpg
    DSC02971.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02972.jpg
    DSC02972.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 26

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Ballast should be stuck to the layout, not your fingers!:lol:

Erm....

Ballast is only a uniform colour if it is brand new. Look at real railways if you want something more...um...used. Pick similar but different shades of ballast to suit your needs.

Don't think of it as a chore, you'll hate it if you do.

Use a dropper (pipette) or syringe to apply glue in small amounts.

Advice on PVA/water mixes varies, but never have more glue than water.

Ballast should be stuck to the layout, not your fingers!:lol:

Erm....

Ballast is only a uniform colour if it is brand new. Look at real railways if you want something more...um...used. Pick similar but different shades of ballast to suit your needs.

Don't think of it as a chore, you'll hate it if you do.

Use a dropper (pipette) or syringe to apply glue in small amounts.

Advice on PVA/water mixes varies, but never have more glue than water.

Thanks for the info, Yeah I am kicking off with ballasting, I have got a couple of bags to get me started, the glue issue is something I was going to ask. I follow Everard Junction on Youtube and he has done a video on his superb layout featuring ballast, can't find the one at the minute though.

I have done a bit more on the layout over the last couple of days, mainly laying track, and the removable section of baseboard is now complete, need to pick up a few more points now, but its nice to have trains running again.

Pictures will appear when I get round to taking a few.....

CSK

Heinz57

The layout is looking realy good, there's loads of potential with it. Great work!

Good luck with the ballasting. Remember to use N gauge ballast. The 00 gauge stuff looks like boulders.

The layout is looking realy good, there's loads of potential with it. Great work!

Good luck with the ballasting. Remember to use N gauge ballast. The 00 gauge stuff looks like boulders.

Thanks for the comments and that little tip on the ballast, I have got a couple of small bags of ballast to try out so will see where we go from there, plenty of track to tack down now!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quick review of what's been happening recently.

I have finished the track layout on the main lines, including the lift out section of baseboard that I have spent so much time talking about. This still requires a little sanding at one end to get the lines level, although trains will run as it is.

I have just finishing restructuring the loco shed and sidings to give a more gentle slope to one end of the incline, mainly to let me run longer trains up the incline and to give some of my older locos a helping hand.

The other end of the incline is proving a pretty bad de-railing point and the track will need to be lifted and the curves smoothed out a little using flexi track, I sort of expected this to happen and am not at all surprised it has.

My East Midlands Trains HST powercars arrived this morning and they have somehow managed to fail after a few laps of the layout, I had a spare DCC chip and popped that in and they now run fine. The powercars came DCC fitted but I am yet to have a search around online to see if this is a common problem or I was just unlucky. At the minute I am quite happy they are running and will worry about the failed DCC chip (assuming it is that, as the powercar felt quite hot) later on, I may well try it in another loco.

Shortly after the HST failure, my Dynamis handset packed up, turned itself off, so i messed with the batteries and it came back on again for a couple of minutes before going off again. I put new batteries in but still nothing, so I have e mailed Bachmann, but not holding out much hope of a speedy reply due to the time of year, so I have ordered a replacement handset which should arrive Friday, meanwhile I am stuck with the old Hornby Select. If Bachmann can sort the hanset I will be quite happy to have a spare, although I am led to believe you can use up to 4 hansets with each Dynamis receiver.

So as we stand, the entire layout is stripped of trains, apart from a couple I am using to test out sections of track. The next step is to extend one of the inclines to make a more gradual climb, and address the derailing issue on the other incline, then I can start fixing down more track and giving it a damn good clean.

Hopefully get some picture up soon, but Merry Christmas to all who have followed my thread and posted comments, its been greatly appreciated.

CSK

Last edited:
Lots and lots has been going on, plenty to report, just no time to report it!

Firstly, the EMT HST is running fine now, the DCC decoder that came in the power car died, the second one I put in had one of its wires cut through when I screwed the body back on, but now I have a Lenz decoder in and it is running better than i have ever seen a loco/powercar run. It just proves you get what you pay for. I will pull a rake a 5 and dummy up the inclines without a problem, and no doubt would pull more if you layout could support a full 8 car rake!

I have purchased several detailing bit, including a modern traction depot, fuel storage, church, signal box, Dent station and some scenic materials. I have just started on my first ballasting mission and so far it is looking really good.

A Bachmann class 20 is due to arrive tomorrow to partner my Hormby class 20, so I will finally be able to run the class 20's as they did in real life.

I have also kitted out my nephew out with a full trackmat worth of track, so now I have a co-modeller helping me out, plus the 4 year old niece now wants a train set next christmas instead of a Barbie bike!

I am currently looking at setting up a site to host the ongoing photos of my layout, but I intend to get some up on here ASAP, I know its been a while, I'm sorry about that!

Hope the new year is seeing you all well,

CSK

deltic1989

Established Member
Sounds like your getting on really well, looking forward to the pics. Makes me want to start a new project now.

Just a taste of whats been going on, need some proper daylight up there to get some better quality photos, but here is the start of the scenery, bearing in mind this is the first tie I've attempted ballasting!

These photos show the steady work going on on the diesel depot, there is also a wash plant, signal box and fuel storage facility, the main line that runs along the back of the depot has had my first attempt at ballasting, looking pretty good I think. The background scenic is from Gaugemaster, and looks pretty smart.

Comments welcome.

I have some time off work soon so will hopefully get the website set up and a few new photos and videos taken.

The latest addition arrived this morning, a BR blue Bachmann class 20 to partner the Hornby Railfreight one, makes the Hornby one look a bit cheap if I'm honest...... Photo will follow soon.

Attachments

• DSC03004.jpg
    DSC03004.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC03006.jpg
    DSC03006.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03007.jpg
    DSC03007.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC03009.jpg
    DSC03009.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03008.jpg
    DSC03008.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 34

deltic1989

Established Member
looking good there mate. Just out of interest does the Hornby 20 use the old Lima tooling and chassis or has it been imporved? I've got an old Lima 20 that I bought off ebay a few years ago and when you turn a Guagemaster controller to about 10 it shoots off at a scale 300mph, does the Hornby one do that?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
You are doing really well there, I wish I had the space and money/job, to get at least a small OO gauge layout. Maybe one day. Keep up the good work.

Rgds

looking good there mate. Just out of interest does the Hornby 20 use the old Lima tooling and chassis or has it been imporved? I've got an old Lima 20 that I bought off ebay a few years ago and when you turn a Guagemaster controller to about 10 it shoots off at a scale 300mph, does the Hornby one do that?

I think the Hornby 20 is the old tooling, I have a Lima Railfreight 20 that I bought as a non-runner and intended to strip down and use as a dummy loco, but the main frame is metal and very very heavy, and the Hornby 20 could not pull it, let alone with a rake of wagons on the back! The Hornby 20 does fly around pretty quick, but has got a very good slow running speed to, so all in all its not too bad, but next to the Bachmann it does look a bit basic. I can see another Bachmann 20 coming soon!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have had the 2 class 20's running together for the first time today, and I wanted the Bachmann at the front, but the coupling on the Hornby one is slightly higher than the one on the Bachmann, and with the Hornby one running that bit faster, it tends to ride up over the coupling on the Bachmann and cause it to derail, so for the minute the Hornby is the lead loco.

This also make the Hornby one produce quite a bit of wheel spin on the incline as the Bachmann one is much heavier, so it will almost certainly look like a second Bachmann 20 being sourced.

K9-70

I think the Hornby 20 is the old tooling, I have a Lima Railfreight 20 that I bought as a non-runner and intended to strip down and use as a dummy loco, but the main frame is metal and very very heavy, and the Hornby 20 could not pull it, let alone with a rake of wagons on the back! The Hornby 20 does fly around pretty quick, but has got a very good slow running speed to, so all in all its not too bad, but next to the Bachmann it does look a bit basic. I can see another Bachmann 20 coming soon!

The Hornby Class 20 is the old Lima tooling.
I have a Hornby Class 20 body fitted to a Lima chassis without any problems.

K9-70

Status
Not open for further replies.