• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New LED customer information screens for 13 Greater Anglia Stations Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliMw

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/abou...nvestment-in-new-customer-information-screens

£1.2m Investment in new customer information screens

£1.2m is to be invested in new customer information screens at a number of Greater Anglia stations in the region.

Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester, Tottenham Hale, Hackney Downs, Chingford, Clapton, Silver Street, Stoke Newington, Rectory Road, Hertford East, Enfield Town and Bush Hill Park stations are all set to benefit from the investment.

Funding for the project has come from the National Station Improvement Programme.

The project will see the old customer information screens replaced with the latest LED technology. This will mean a real improvement in the provision of information for customers at the stations with brighter, clearer screens.

Andrew Goodrum Greater Anglia’s Customer Service Director: “We have been focusing our efforts on improving information provision for our customers and these new screens demonstrate our commitment to providing up-to-date information, in a clear, user-friendly format.”

Since the Greater Anglia franchise began in February 2012, the train operator has improved information provision for customers through a number of means, including providing a free smartphone app, re-introducing a free sms text update service, providing website updates, improving the ‘twitter’ service and providing 1,600 frontline staff with BlackBerrys to ensure they can provide customers with more timely and accurate travel information.
Does anyone know if this will replace all the television screen departure/arrival boards at Norwich station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
They should use the cash on new stock and faster services if my experience from Ware to Harwich today is anything to go by.

barrykas

Established Member
They should use the cash on new stock and faster services if my experience from Ware to Harwich today is anything to go by.

One slight flaw in that...£1.2 million wouldn't buy one Turbostar or Electrostar carriage, let alone an entire unit!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
£1.2m would buy you maybe a carriage so I think using it to modernise the station information screens is probably a better use. Certainly I was rather surprised to find a station like Norwich still using TV monitors when I visited a couple of years ago.

dk1

Veteran Member
£1.2m would buy you maybe a carriage so I think using it to modernise the station information screens is probably a better use. Certainly I was rather surprised to find a station like Norwich still using TV monitors when I visited a couple of years ago.

Norwich has always been the poor relation when it comes to PIS. We must have been one of the last to have the old black&white style. The current screens are awful. Why the platform screens constantly change to all departures & then info is beyond me its so annoying when you need to know what train this is & where it stops. Platform 6 screen frequently seems to just roll & roll as do many others. Any improvement will be most welcome 7 long overdue.

Aictos

Established Member

Hitchin, Letchworth Garden City, Welwyn Garden City, Hertford North only lost their TV monitors last year, the new monitors are a big improvement as they can show the next three trains plus special notices and the time all in clear txt regardless of weather.

This is great news for Hertford East to see investment :)

W230

Established Member
The current screens are awful. Why the platform screens constantly change to all departures & then info is beyond me its so annoying when you need to know what train this is & where it stops.
I'm glad it's not just me that finds it annoying there! Trying to read departures and finding the special Information - always keep your belongings with you... page keep flashing up.

Aictos

Established Member
I'm glad it's not just me that finds it annoying there! Trying to read departures and finding the special Information - always keep your belongings with you... page keep flashing up.

Or even when the sunlight shines direct on the screens or waiting forever or the information you want...

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
reminds me, have the TV style train departure screens at Llandrindod Wells been replaced, the Swansea side faced directly into the sun, making it unreadable,same applies at Ruabon, with the scrolling screens facing the sun.

The scrolling screens(at Wrexham) are much better, besides next three trains, they also give terminating trains/where from & reasons for delays,sorry to take the thread into North East & Mid Wales

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The last set of ones around my way went around 2 weeks ago too, replaced by the same ones as shown here. They are also supplemented by one or two smaller, scrolling screens.

brianthegiant

I suspect the LED screens use considerably less power than the tv screens though the saving probably wouldn't recoup anything like the £1.2M in the life of the displays,

WestCountry

What annoys me is that they have three boards, labelled 'Arrivals', 'Information' and 'Departures'. Every time I've been there in the last two months, the Arrivals have been on the 'Departures' screen, the 'Information' screen has been switched off, and the 'Arrivals' screen has been alternating between Departures and Information... :roll:

Oh, and sometimes there's a 'Page 2' of departures, with one entry on it that leaves in 2 hours, and it takes even longer to get around to the trains that are actually in the platform. :(

oliMw

I haven't been to Norwich station since April and I visited today to see the new LED screens, how long have they been there? Thanks :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given how long it takes to change pages, I do wish they'd consider showing the next nn services and then splitting the rest over pages.

Some airports will do this. As do some of the bus stops in London (but with less lines at bus stops, this can actually become a real mess).

dk1

Veteran Member
I haven't been to Norwich station since April and I visited today to see the new LED screens, how long have they been there? Thanks :D

Been gradually installed during the night over the last few weeks. Still a few old style PIDS around the station. Not quite sure whats going on there as havent seen workmen for a few days. Will try to find out next week.

oliMw

Been gradually installed during the night over the last few weeks. Still a few old style PIDS around the station. Not quite sure whats going on there as havent seen workmen for a few days. Will try to find out next week.

I did wonder why many of the old boards were still around, I would have guessed they would have done it in one big chunk but I suppose it takes along time to install etc.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Has anyone got any ideas of how many of the TV screens are left? Also, does anyone know when they were introduced?

I was suprised to see that Worksop still has those TV screens when passing though on Wednesday.

dk1 said:
We must have been one of the last to have the old black&white style.

Do you know where I can see a picture of those? I haven't seen them before!

TheEdge

Established Member
I did wonder why many of the old boards were still around, I would have guessed they would have done it in one big chunk but I suppose it takes along time to install etc.

They have been gradually going, the last platform screen went a few days ago, those on P3 and 4. The only ones left to go now are the ones in the fitting above the barriers.

Although regulars through Norwich may have noticed the one for platform 6 located near the lost property has now just decided to display its IP/MAC address and other assorted hardware info...

nxea321446

these are the stations around my area that still have the old tv screens: wickford, rayleigh, hockley, rochford, prittlewell, battlesbridge, south woodham ferrers, north fambridge, althorne, burnham on crouch and southminster

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The "latest LED technology" is about as up-to-date as the dot-matrix printer.
I know there's more to it than just changing the display type, but Network Rail has been rolling out the same solution for about 15 years.
It's time we had more large readable and colourful flat screens and fewer scrolling monochrome dot-matrix screens of limited readability.

NR seem to have got meaner with their PIS provision over the years, leading to multiple scrolling/paging screens.
Those at Crewe scroll through 3 pages, but with only one line on the third screen. Takes ages to get back to page 1.
And when are they going to identify the operator on summary screens?
It's like an airport showing departures to "Paris" and not bothering to show the airline you are flying with. :cry:

jon0844

Veteran Member
LEDs have improved in the last 15 years. They're brighter and last longer and you can easily increase the resolution for little money, if you needed to.

Flat panels are also better but use a lot more power to be readable in all conditions and are possibly overkill for relating most information.

More could be multicoloured though.

Muzer

Established Member
I much, much prefer the LED screens to LCDs or CRTs. When they started being replaced in SWTland I was quite annoyed because there were so many teething problems. But now they're working properly, they're much more readable.

Status
Not open for further replies.