• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New life in old buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
Whilst it is a given that the best thing to do with an old railway station is renovate and re-open it, what do you think has been the most imaginative use of the building if that is not possible?

Bevan Price, 142094, Paul Sidorczuk and I, have, in another thread, observed that in so many of our towns and cities, old station land has been been used as a car-park or for the building of a new supermarket/shopping retail area. But what has been a more imaginative, unusual use?

To start the ball rolling, Walsingham station is now used by the Russian Orthodox Church for worship and as a monastic centre; Manchester Central station as an exhibition centre. Can you cite any other examples?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't Bath Green Park now the site of a farmer's market after years as a Sainsbury's car park?

fgwrich

Established Member
While i think of some others, youve now got the original and only original Reading station building left, is now the Three Guineas Pub.

And local to me and far less exiting, the former Oakley station is now a carpet and furniture shop.

Established Member
Eureka at Halifax seems to be quite a good way of doing something good with a building no longer wanted by the railway.

Yew

Established Member
Nottingham London Road is now a Virgin Active Health Club

Badger

Tettenhall Station on the Wombourne Branch line remains fully intact as a ranger outpost.

Wolverhampton Low Level building is becoming a banqueting hall, with many original features retained.

Leicester Central Station is some kind of scrap yard with cars parked in the arches, the building intact.

DXMachina

Watford Central is now a pub (OK, it was never an active station, just a preexisting building intended for use as one)

Various other former LT tube surface buildings are reused as shops.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

The book shop from where this image was discovered.

QGb0C.jpg

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I can think of numerous station buildings which have now become pubs - Urmston, Codsall, Acton Central (along with the re-establishing of station bars such as at Stalybridge, Worksop, Liverpool Lime Street, Huddersfield and I'm sure there are plenty more).

West Derby station has been a gas and electric fire shop for some time now.

Dingle LOR station was an underground garage.

A good slice of Hull Paragon now houses the bus station.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Nottingham London Road is now a Virgin Active Health Club

no it is not, the Virgin Active Health Club is in the former goods station, London Road was demolished some time back, prior to which it was a Hooters :) or not as your preference

Yew

Established Member
no it is not, the Virgin Active Health Club is in the former goods station, London Road was demolished some time back, prior to which it was a Hooters :) or not as your preference

The goods station was London Road Low Level, that was the original London road station, with the High level being later demolished.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I can think of two examples off the top of my head;

The Roundhouse in Camden which is now an excellent music and arts venue which has also hosted the BBC Electric Proms.

And on a similar theme the Roundhouse in Derby which I think was the world's first although I maybe wrong! As part of the Loco Works it finished its days repairing cranes. Its now part of Derby College and also hosts the Derby beer festival.

Welshman

Established Member
Mmmm....quite an interesting use of closed buildings - thank you very much to you all for responding.

IanD

Established Member
And on a similar theme the Roundhouse in Derby which I think was the world's first although I maybe wrong! As part of the Loco Works it finished its days repairing cranes. Its now part of Derby College and also hosts the Derby beer festival.

And it's hosting Question Time on BBC1 tonight.

MrPosh

Lincoln St Marks is, of course, a very well done shop (with an information corner) and the whole area reflects its railway history.

However, perhaps more interestingly considering the OP, the former station building at RAF Cranwell (or RAF Daedalus as it was when the railway was running) is now the guard hut for the camp.

Wish I'd have know that the only time I got to go in it.

Manchester77

Established Member
A lot of the ex-British rail ticket offices on the Manchester metrolink have been turned into retail space. For example, Stretford is now a taxi place and a shop.
Trafford park railway stations old booking hall is now a taxi hire thing.

IanD

Established Member
Windhill station in Shipley used to be a motor scooter shop (Robbies, I think - my dad used to know the owner who let us spend some time exploring the place on the occasional Saturday afternoon). I think it's now offices. The platform canopy was moved to a car dealership round the corner. It used to look quite impressive. Last time I went past it was Clive's Carpet shop with the canopy hidden behind a load of hoardings - you can just about make it out on Google Streetview, opposite the junction of Otley Road and Green Lane in Shipley.

Frodsham station buildings have just been renovated by ATW (looks a good job too). Whilst I would like to see them reopened as a ticket office, waiting room etc, I believe that the premisies are available to lease as a business opportunity.

Tiny Tim

Isn't Bath Green Park now the site of a farmer's market after years as a Sainsbury's car park?

Bath Green Park spent many years in semi-derelict limbo, demolition was mooted at one time. It now accommodates several businesses, including the weekly farmers' market. Whilst Bath City Council were slow to redevelop the site, they were quick enough to take over the former Midland Railway Bridge for road use!

CarltonA

The former LNWR Rewley Road station in Oxford was in a poor condition and had become a tyre centre. It was dismantled and moved to Quainton Road and is now a museum and tea room.

Status
Not open for further replies.