• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Liverpool Airport bus link introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
GHA service 36 Ellesmere Port-Runcorn via Frodsham is to be extended to Liverpool Airport as of the 6th June. Hourly frequency to remain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
I imagine commercial. Councils are cutting the total subsidy for buses not increasing it.

Polarbear

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, the present route 36 is run by GHA on a commercial basis so I would expect the extension to Liverpool Airport to be the same.

It's a little strange that the only direct bus service presently between Runcorn & Liverpool Airport is not express so I hope that GHA have done their homework!

For info, route 36 is the remnant of the erstwhile X3 service that used to run between Chester & Manchester. Somewhat ironic that it's now ended up serving a different airport!

martinsh

Established Member
For info, route 36 is the remnant of the erstwhile X3 service that used to run between Chester & Manchester. Somewhat ironic that it's now ended up serving a different airport!

I disagree. The original X3 ran non stop (via M56) between Ellesmere Port and Runcorn. The 36 is more a replacement for the Ellesmere Port - Helsby train.

pemma

Veteran Member
GHA seem to be one of the few operators expanding their network at the moment. I wonder if they are looking at running any commercial services further east now they have the 88 and 289 routes and have 4 buses used on those 2 routes every day but for the most part of the day only 3 are required.

Although, on Monday having the spare bus was probably a good thing as one of the Cheshire Connect Versa's failed at the junction between the A50 and the A537 in the morning peak and it took a couple of hours for them to get it running again. There was 2 miles of queuing traffic because of it.

Established Member
Should do well. Would be more successful if it ran from Chester, but no doubt greedy FirstGroup and Arriva would start kicking off that someone else (well, better) is competing with them.

pemma

Veteran Member
Should do well. Would be more successful if it ran from Chester, but no doubt greedy FirstGroup and Arriva would start kicking off that someone else (well, better) is competing with them.

Any operator can register a competing commercial service as long as it doesn't get out-of-hand, like some of the Stagecoach and UK North routes did.

Polarbear

Established Member
Would be more successful if it ran from Chester, but no doubt greedy FirstGroup and Arriva would start kicking off that someone else (well, better) is competing with them.

Agreed. The X3 to which I referred to earlier was partially felled by First threatening a legal challenge against Cheshire County Council on the basis that the subsidised (2 hourly) service abstracted revenue from their commercial services between Chester & Ellesmere Port.

GHA do run a subsidised service between Chester & Ellesmere Port, through Wervin, but there are only 4 buses per day.

I disagree. The original X3 ran non stop (via M56) between Ellesmere Port and Runcorn. The 36 is more a replacement for the Ellesmere Port - Helsby train.

True, the X3 was fast from Ince & Elton via the M56 to Runcorn, but it did connect E'Port to Runcorn as does the 36, albeit via Helsby & Frodsham too.

Status
Not open for further replies.