• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New livery for forthcoming Amtrak Avelia Liberty sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reminds me of the newer of the MML liveries i.e.:

371-676.jpg

rf_ioliver

Just wondering why the carriages have different profiles to the locomotives .... of course it could just be the rendering but the engineer in me is wondering about the aerodynamics of that rather than the colour sceme..

Ian

nlogax

Established Member
Just wondering why the carriages have different profiles to the locomotives .... of course it could just be the rendering but the engineer in me is wondering about the aerodynamics of that rather than the colour sceme..

Ian

Presumably only the passenger cars tilt, therefore they'll need to sit within AAR Plate C gauge.

MarcVD

I wonder why Amtrak are replacing Acela sets that are less than 17 years old?

Because, as far as I know, they are a nightmare to maintain. And this is not appreciated at all on this side of the Atlantic. Double expansion steam engines were disliked for the same reason. This maintenance complexity is a characteristic of almost all Alstom-built equipment in the 1990-2000 era. Amtrak HHP-8 locs were abandoned for the same reason, and in Europe, SNCF BB36000, SNCB 1300, CFL 3000 have the same issues. This is one of the reasons of the commercial failure of the Prima series. Even if it is less true, the bad reputation sticks. And it was probably one of the reasons already (not the only one, I know) why the swedish Rc4 was preferred over the french CC21000 in 1977. This is less of an issue on European railways where rolling stock maintenance is done by government employees but in private companies, maintenance costs is a very important factor.

ac6000cw

Established Member
This is less of an issue on European railways where rolling stock maintenance is done by government employees but in private companies, maintenance costs is a very important factor.

Amtrak is a (federal) government owned company. But I agree with you - it's maintenance costs (and the relatively low passenger capacity) of the existing Acela trains that is driving their replacement.

daikilo

Established Member
The front looks like a TGV.

Well, its based on the AGV!

Also, earlier images showed the power-cars as tilting also (inage from Google, copyright Alstom/meconopsis).
1200x800---Avelia%20Liberty_Amtrak_1.jpg

The only transition I can see on the new image is between the leading and second vehicle is the roof-line to adapt between the shapes. What strikes me however is the lack of windows in the power-car suggesting no passengers.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
I think that the Acela was built on the ICE and/or X2000, when those 2 trains were in the USA in 1993. From Wikipedia: Amtrak will retire all current (Acela) trains by the end of 2022. Remember that ICE 1 in Germany is running since 1991 and the TGV since 1981, but do not know whether those first timers are still in service.

MarcVD

Acela has essentially Alsthom ancestry, nothing to do with ICE or X2000. And yes, ICE1 and first generation TGV are still in service today.

Groningen

Established Member
As said before the builders of the ICE were so angry at/on the USA; that they made no attempt to sell their trains in the USA. Making the trains expensive. The reason why is unknown to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.