• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New LNER website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is that true that absolutely all tickets have to be shown? After all they generally only show the cheapest tier of each of the 'advance' fares so I'd think the same would apply in the case of the family tickets...
I’ve noticed on TPE’s Webtis lately that it’s begun showing all available tiers of Advance fares for a given train, rather than just the cheapest, so you’ll see £20, £21 and £22 etc. It’s rather daft.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
I’ve noticed on TPE’s Webtis lately that it’s begun showing all available tiers of Advance fares for a given train, rather than just the cheapest, so you’ll see £20, £21 and £22 etc. It’s rather daft.

Not just daft, but it shouldn't be doing that at all.

Silver Cobra

One criticism I have, which I believe was also present on the VTEC version of this website, is that the list of ticket types on the online delay repay form does not include rangers or rovers, or at least an 'Other' category. I need to make a claim for a delay while travelling on my first class All Line Rover, but the online form only has singles, returns, advances and season tickets. I've selected season ticket for the type, but added a note to my ticket image to explain that it's actually an ALR and I only chose 'season ticket' because of the lack of an option for rovers (hopefully they won't reject the claim because of this).

So yeah, if they could either add options for rovers or simply just an 'Other' option to the ticket type list, that would be useful.

**EDIT: Concerned that they could reject my claim on the grounds my ticket is not an actual season ticket, I've abandoned using the online form and instead sent an email containing all the details.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Not just daft, but it shouldn't be doing that at all.
I don't think there's anything in the data indicating how and when different advance fares should be "collapsed" together showing only the cheapest available though, is there? I've always presumed each booking engine just had its own manual hack for that, so it could get out of date quite easily if ticket types or route codes change, as seems to happen to Worldline WebTIS sometimes.

alistairlees

Established Member
I don't think there's anything in the data indicating how and when different advance fares should be "collapsed" together showing only the cheapest available though, is there? I've always presumed each booking engine just had its own manual hack for that, so it could get out of date quite easily if ticket types or route codes change, as seems to happen to Worldline WebTIS sometimes.
You're right that there isn't any data to define this. But the rule is fairly simple: if class and route code are the same for Advance / quota-controlled fares, discard all the higher-priced ones. You do need to have a means of correctly identifying these though.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The new 'family' ticket has been promoted on social media. Can the website issue these properly? No it can't!

Can LNER not test things properly before promoting them, it took me less than 10 minutes looking around to find out the issue. It only works correctly if you're travelling as one adult and one child, if you're travelling as two adults, two children you're charged double. Any of the other valid combinations don't work.

More info: https://saveecrewards.co.uk/blog/new-family-ticket
We did test, it worked. It's taken us a week to find out why it isn't working. It wasn't our or one of our suppliers at fault.

SaveECRewards

We did test, it worked. It's taken us a week to find out why it isn't working. It wasn't our or one of our suppliers at fault.

Was it working on live before the marketing material was sent out though? Sometimes things work on pre-prod environments but not in live for various reasons. Of course it could just be bad luck and it worked in live when tested but then some bad data came through (remember that time when I was getting weird routes due to missing data)?

Do you know if it's sorted yet?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Was it working on live before the marketing material was sent out though? Sometimes things work on pre-prod environments but not in live for various reasons. Of course it could just be bad luck and it worked in live when tested but then some bad data came through (remember that time when I was getting weird routes due to missing data)?

Do you know if it's sorted yet?
It was tested and working in production before everything was sent out. Hopefully it'll be fixed by an overnight download . You've hit the nail on the head

SaveECRewards

It was tested and working in production before everything was sent out. Hopefully it'll be fixed by an overnight download . You've hit the nail on the head
Looks like it's working now, although I've not really looked at it extensively this morning but I did see the other ticket types offered

Romilly

Established Member
A problem I hit the other day with the LNER website forced me to book my tickets elsewhere. I was trying to book a return journey that involved three changes in each direction. I also wanted to reserve seats wherever possible. One leg outward, and one leg returning, were on non-reservable trains, and it was clear that the LNER website could cope with that. But on the way back, two short legs were on reservable (non-LNER) trains where the train operating company was not making reservations available for the proposed offpeak return tickets. On a website such as C2C which uses WEBTIS, the journey planner offers reservations for the legs for which they are available and allows the journey to be booked with just those reservations. But the LNER site won't do that: if any leg in either direction is on a reservable train but no reservations are being offered for that leg for the chosen ticket, the LNER site will only allow you to book if you opt not to have any reservations at all -- it won't allow you to proceed with just the reservations that are possible. I find it hard to believe that this is intentional.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
A problem I hit the other day with the LNER website forced me to book my tickets elsewhere. I was trying to book a return journey that involved three changes in each direction. I also wanted to reserve seats wherever possible. One leg outward, and one leg returning, were on non-reservable trains, and it was clear that the LNER website could cope with that. But on the way back, two short legs were on reservable (non-LNER) trains where the train operating company was not making reservations available for the proposed offpeak return tickets. On a website such as C2C which uses WEBTIS, the journey planner offers reservations for the legs for which they are available and allows the journey to be booked with just those reservations. But the LNER site won't do that: if any leg in either direction is on a reservable train but no reservations are being offered for that leg for the chosen ticket, the LNER site will only allow you to book if you opt not to have any reservations at all -- it won't allow you to proceed with just the reservations that are possible. I find it hard to believe that this is intentional.
Can you send me the details and I'll ask someone to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.