• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New lockdown in England, including school closures, announced by Johnson, 4/1/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They may have "just got on with it" but they also died in their millions. The Black Death wiped out more than 30% of Europe's population - some estimates are as high as 60%. Would you be prepared to accept that death toll and all it would entail?
This is a false dichotomy; if Sars-Cov-2 had occurred at the time of the Black Death, hardly any deaths would have occurred and society would have barely noticed it.

If the Black Death occurred now, the fatality rate would be exponentially higher than we saw with Sars-Cov-2, especially as it affected younger people (obviously).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I don't know how much this will catch on with the population, but if the majority have enough of all this and Johnson officially confirms this 1,000 per day target to be a requirement, all we need is an increasing number of people with symptoms to refuse to have a test. June, July and August last year did see testing results bring back long periods with under 1000 cases so it is possible to get that far, however the question is what's needed to end social distancing and masks for something that can't be eradicated?
Thats ludicrous testing is double what it was and with false positives its never going to get that low. Positivity rates (less than 5% is WHO target for non pandemic conditions) are a more appropriate but even that wasn't on BoJos previous criteria of Covid deaths, vaccine rollout, new variants and pressure on hospital beds were the main determinants. CRG are saying nothing again but maybe this is just the Doves vs Hawks playing things out in the media so Boris can come out of it on a high next Monday.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
That saved me from replying to the rather crass remark.

If a celebrity can highlight the plight of a certain group then why should we be bothered.
We should be bothered because we are supposedly following the science, not some personal concerns of a celebrity. It is the JCVI's job to assess risk and prioritise accordingly and the last thing we need is random people popping up saying one group or another should be prioritised because it affects them or one of their family. It should also be pretty obvious that if one group is moved up then other people are moved down so if the group are just moved up because someone goes on the radio with a sad story and they are not really more vulnerable it could mean people who are more at risk than them waiting longer.

chris11256

The Daily Mail reckon they've got their hands on an outline of the so called 'blueprint'

Basically, it sounds as if summer will be groundhog day of summer 2020 and it doesn't sound too hopeful for social distancing to vanish before the end of 2021 either!
Plus the article mentions the requirement to work from home isn’t being lifted even by summer

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The Daily Mail reckon they've got their hands on an outline of the so called 'blueprint'

Basically, it sounds as if summer will be groundhog day of summer 2020 and it doesn't sound too hopeful for social distancing to vanish before the end of 2021 either!
Not interested in this date speculation from the papers they need to be holding them to account to publish the criteria they are using and the target numbers then they have nowhere to hide when things play out better.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree we should wait and see.

If the 1,000 per day requirement comes into effect, I do indeed foresee fewer people agreeing to be tested (though the number of tests may still increase due to expanded testing in workplace environments etc) and I also foresee another U-turn!
No it won't.

The public love the restrictions and want them to continue.
As time goes on, the number of people supporting lockdowns will continue to dwindle; if they drag it out too long the only people supporting lockdowns left will be the 'zero covid' / 'lockdown indefinitely' brigade who want cases to be close to zero before we unlock. But I doubt any of them vote Tory and they'll be unhappy whenever the lockdown is lifted.

It's increasingly the case that they are pandering to the people who hate them the most; you couldn't make this up if you tried!

Class 33

Established Member
I hope the daily mail have got it Very wrong. Social distancing to still continue beyond July with still no end date in sight?? Absolutely ridiculous. That's this year's festivals and events industry completely wiped out again then. Also many in the hospitality, travel and leisure that will be wiped out too.

philosopher

Established Member
Plus the article mentions the requirement to work from home isn’t being lifted even by summer
I guess it will be advice rather than legally obligated. If it is advice, it will probably be ignored by those who struggle to work from home if their employers let them work in the office.

Richard Scott

Established Member
According to the front page of tomorrow's Telegraph, lockdown will continue until cases drop below 1,000 per day. If this is the case, this is absolutely ridiculous. Because we may well never get to below 1,000 cases per day!

1GpTG0BbSluvrIuTLwTo_1001ic-dtndt-1-170221-a001c-dt_1613512389_001.png
Well if it is true then hope he's got a good scientific reason for it and shares it with us. All he's done is pluck figures out of thin air for past 6 months or so with no reasoning for these figures.

Crossover

Established Member
Thats ludicrous testing is double what it was and with false positives its never going to get that low. Positivity rates (less than 5% is WHO target for non pandemic conditions)

I did a quick run of the numbers based on the last 7 days, on Sunday, and my reckoning is the positivity rate is currently less than 2.5%

brad465

Established Member
Thats ludicrous testing is double what it was and with false positives its never going to get that low. Positivity rates (less than 5% is WHO target for non pandemic conditions) are a more appropriate but even that wasn't on BoJos previous criteria of Covid deaths, vaccine rollout, new variants and pressure on hospital beds were the main determinants. CRG are saying nothing again but maybe this is just the Doves vs Hawks playing things out in the media so Boris can come out of it on a high next Monday.
If the front page of The Times is anything to go by, where they talk about blitz testing to coincide with easing restrictions, mass testing will be with Lateral Flow tests, not PCR. This could go either way, the issue of false positives diminishes, but all these extra tests ultimately pickup more infections, but I agree positivity matters more, and as @yorkie mentions further up, there are a lot of problems with 1,000 cases a day as a target that would see either a reduction in people going for tests and/or a later U-turn on that figure were it to become official.

1613518021328.png

Richard Scott

Established Member
If the front page of The Times is anything to go by, where they talk about blitz testing to coincide with easing restrictions, mass testing will be with Lateral Flow tests, not PCR. This could go either way, the issue of false positives diminishes, but all these extra tests ultimately pickup more infections, but I agree positivity matters more, and as @yorkie mentions further up, there are a lot of problems with 1,000 cases a day as a target that would see either a reduction in people going for tests and/or a later U-turn on that figure were it to become official.

View attachment 90852
I'm still at a loss to understand the need for this once majority are vaccinated. What is the point. Almost everyone who gets it will not have severe symptoms so why waste all the time and effort? This country has spent far too much money and effort already on this, we need to start winding all this down not up.

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
Luckily all the comments on these front pages on social media are overwhelmingly ones of incredulousness. There's a few lockdown zealots sticking their oar in, but they feel less prevelent than before.

I won't panic too much until next week, but if this kind of thing is conformed as happening then I'm going to start taking direct action. Be it refusing to take tests, joining organised demos (for the first time in my life), writing to multiple MPs... I'm not ruling any of it out.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I'm still at a loss to understand the need for this once majority are vaccinated. What is the point. Almost everyone who gets it will not have severe symptoms so why waste all the time and effort? This country has spent far to much money and effort already on this, we need to start winding all this down not up.
Indeed they need to be challenged over the original rationale for vaccination if nothing improves. This is why the roadmap needs to be based on the criteria for each stage and NO speculation on dates when they will be met.

Carlisle

Established Member
No it won't.

The public love the restrictions and want them to continue.
There certainly appears to be a sizeable proportion of the population who presumably are either furloughed, working from home or retired, who don’t come across as particularly concerned if most of this year gets written off or whether or not they can actually go anywhere on holiday .

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
Luckily all the comments on these front pages on social media are overwhelmingly ones of incredulousness. There's a few lockdown zealots sticking their oar in, but they feel less prevelent than before.

I won't panic too much until next week, but if this kind of thing is conformed as happening then I'm going to start taking direct action. Be it refusing to take tests, joining organised demos (for the first time in my life), writing to multiple MPs... I'm not ruling any of it out.
I'll be joining you if that's the case.

philosopher

Established Member
Indeed they need to be challenged over the original rationale for vaccination if nothing improves. This is why the roadmap needs to be based on the criteria for each stage and NO speculation on dates when they will be met.
Personally, if the restrictions go on for too long, I am hoping there is a legal challenge to the restrictions which the government loses. Then the government will have no choice but to ease the restrictions.

brad465

Established Member
Personally, if the restrictions go on for too long, I am hoping there is a legal challenge to the restrictions which the government loses. Then the government will have no choice but to ease the restrictions.
The latest news from the Netherlands suggests it's not beyond the bounds that such a legal challenge can be made and won.

kristiang85

Established Member
The latest news from the Netherlands suggests it's not beyond the bounds that such a legal challenge can be made and won.

I suspect one of our problems with this is our unwritten constitution; the government has access to many more loopholes than other nations.

I have little legal or constitutional knowledge though so I could be wrong on that!

brad465

Established Member
I suspect one of our problems with this is our unwritten constitution; the government has access to many more loopholes than other nations.

I have little legal or constitutional knowledge though so I could be wrong on that!
That might be the same unwritten constitution that allowed the Supreme Court to overturn the 2019 prorogation of Parliament, so that could go either way.

Bikeman78

Established Member
This is a false dichotomy; if Sars-Cov-2 had occurred at the time of the Black Death, hardly any deaths would have occurred and society would have barely noticed it.

If the Black Death occurred now, the fatality rate would be exponentially higher than we saw with Sars-Cov-2, especially as it affected younger people (obviously).
If the Black Death occurred now, there would not need to be laws telling people to stay at home! Conversely, who would want to go out to keep the National Grid up and running? Once that started to collapse, so would everything else.

farleigh

If the Black Death occurred now, there would not need to be laws telling people to stay at home! Conversely, who would want to go out to keep the National Grid up and running? Once that started to collapse, so would everything else.
Stay home. Save the National Grid

bramling

Veteran Member

He and the Conservatives are burnt toast if that happens.

Doesn’t surprise me - I’ve always thought he will keep hotels closed until July / August. In which case he might as well keep them closed forever, as there probably won’t be any left to open by then.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
According to the front page of tomorrow's Telegraph, lockdown will continue until cases drop below 1,000 per day. If this is the case, this is absolutely ridiculous. Because we may well never get to below 1,000 cases per day!

1GpTG0BbSluvrIuTLwTo_1001ic-dtndt-1-170221-a001c-dt_1613512389_001.png

I don't know how much this will catch on with the population, but if the majority have enough of all this and Johnson officially confirms this 1,000 per day target to be a requirement, all we need is an increasing number of people with symptoms to refuse to have a test. June, July and August last year did see testing results bring back long periods with under 1000 cases so it is possible to get that far, however the question is what's needed to end social distancing and masks for something that can't be eradicated?

I'd ignore any of these leaked stories - they're there to provoke a reaction and not to actually inform the public.

Though for what it's worth, weekly cases are falling fairly fast - 1,000 cases a day is probably only a couple of months away, ignoring any vaccine effects. I think we'll ease significantly before then, but exponential decline is just as formidable a force as exponential growth.

Based on the current trend we’ll be 1000 cases a day or less by the first week of April.

Unfortunately even last summer we barely got below 1000 cases per day, with considerably less testing.

7day average was at a minimum on about the 4th of July at about 586

Given we have five times the testing output we had then, it seems unlikely we would show under 1000 cases.

The big question is -

Is that 1000 new cases or 1000 active cases? One of the sage scientists was saying over the weekend (see post #2,340 ) that cases needed to be in single thousands per day. Reading in detail it showed that he was referring to active cases and not new cases, which meant daily reported cases needed to be in the hundreds.

Today's most recent Telegraph report also quotes a whitehall source as saying that for pubs to open and to allow indoor household mixing case numbers need to be in the hundreds not thousands.

I suspect that this would be unachievable.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'll be joining you if that's the case.

Count me in too. I’ve properly had enough of this now.

If he wants to have a complete break-down of respect for law and the police, this is what we’re heading for. Whilst there’s plenty of zombie-people who seem more than happy to accept a base existence, I think there’s plenty more who properly aren’t - especially once the weather improves. “Stay at home” is already a complete joke round here, it won’t be long before we see packed beaches all over our screens all over again, and there’s going to be some serious agitation from business owners if he doesn’t get his finger out pretty sharpish. I was chatting to the owner of my regular Indian restaurant - he’s utterly fuming, yet he’s one of the lucky ones in that he has a pretty solid takeaway side which has kept him afloat, despite this he said his situation is now “dire”, a business which was previously so thriving that the restaurant twice had to be extended.

Is Johnson even sane? Can be not see that the country is on its knees, even if there’s happy furloughs and work from homes galavanting around enjoying the free time, do these people not realise we are going to be left with a ruined shell if this continues much longer?

brad465

Established Member
The big question is -

Is that 1000 new cases or 1000 active cases? One of the sage scientists was saying over the weekend (see post #2,340 ) that cases needed to be in single thousands per day. Reading in detail it showed that he was referring to active cases and not new cases, which meant daily reported cases needed to be in the hundreds.

Today's most recent Telegraph report also quotes a whitehall source as saying that for pubs to open and to allow indoor household mixing case numbers need to be in the hundreds not thousands.

I suspect that this would be unachievable.
I don't think the bulk of the Tory party will stand for that, even if they don't/can't force a change immediately, they will have a stronger hand the longer time goes on trying to pursue this sort of threshold without actually getting there (not ideal but unfortunately how it might be).

Status
Not open for further replies.